Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

When it's time for a new chainsaw…

ive had a belt off both, they felt pretty similar tbh..
The thing is a belt is one thing, holding onto a metal cased drill tight that becomes live is another, it's not so easy to drop it or throw it clear. This is the reason handheld tools are so much in the safety spotlight.

The thing is a belt is one thing, holding onto a metal cased drill tight that becomes live is another, it's not so easy to drop it or throw it clear. This is the reason handheld tools are so much in the safety spotlight.
ahh I see, is that why double insulated came about?

It's certainly why it's used yes, and it's been adopted for many things besides because it's just safer. Not sure if it came into being first for tools or for other items (chicken and egg maybe).

Now this I don't understand, for the same tool, the power is the same so the voltage has no bearing on it. From a safety aspect, 240v tools have no Earth, and in fairness so do probably all 110v hand held tools which is really important as that Earth wire is the one that can kill you if you're unlucky and no amount of stepping down of voltage or RCDs will help you if you get voltage down it through a non isolated transformer.

Are your transformers isolated from earth or are they linked? A lot are linked.

With having used both 110v and 240v versions of the hitachi c9u 9" hand held circular saws making tennons in oak. It puts the test between the both when cutting full depth. I find that the 240 version can get hotter and was more likely to end up smoking after the punishment! The 110 version on a similar struggle cut gives off a bit of perfume and to give it a bit of running bursts with no load to cool the motor after finishing the cuts helps to make the saw last longer. I bought a 110 version back in 2009 off ebay for £25 and fitted a £80 blade in it. I've never seen a saw do so much work! It still works today but the base is shaped like a banana! With all tools it's all down to the quality and sharpness of the blade. TBH haven't found another saw thats better than the Hitachi!

With the transformer, I started out with the standard small 2kva box but it wasn't able to keep up with the power demand and it lost power. The 5kva will run 2 large tools at one time! Not too sure if it's linked, haven't lifted the lid off it.

we have a Makita circ saw with a 9" blade called bertha. you have to make sure it doesn't suck in your clothing when using it causing overheating. its get more suction than most hoovers..

Marita stuff, particularly the older models is very strong, no nonsense and powerful. I started out with Mikita drills that could take your arm off if you weren't careful. No clutches or rotation brakes in those days.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
my tools are a mix between Makita and dewalt. to me they are in the sweet spot before the law of diminishing returns kicks in.
parts are easily available too at a reasonable price.

Back