Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which winch?

Connect to either one. I chose the RHS one because it was a shorter run for the cables.

makes sense! - I want my truck back so I can start playing again :(

Reckon it depends how much winching you plan to do. On my 120 I've hooked up to the existing batteries as the winch is used very infrequently and don't see any need to make any changes. Lil' Blue has a starting battery and a different battery for winching, these are separated via a split charger and both batteries can be linked together when winching.

All very nice but adds to the cost, tempting to get carried away for the "just in case" scenario is always hard to resist.

You could upgrade your existing to a higher CCA rating as a halfway house but again, how much winching and is it worth the extra cost?

existing batteries it will be! Cheers chaps :)
running out of € with all the extras .....

That is one mighty fine looking truck! What do you store in the net across the hood? I've been trying to figure out what to do with all that real estate!

That is one mighty fine looking truck! What do you store in the net across the hood? I've been trying to figure out what to do with all that real estate!

It's for stashing recovery ropes between pulls, saves getting shitty ropes inside the truck!
Also means I can leave the end attached to my truck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've had a few winches over the years and personal preference would be a Warn if you can afford it. I've had a couple of xd9000's and have been impressed with them. I'm also a big voter in favour of plasma rope, I had one snap when I was stood 4ft away and the recoil didn't even hurt with a well buried range rover on the other end of it.

Did you end up getting a winch? what did you go for in the end?

Not yet, the insurance co neglected to tell us most of the extras on the truck were 'not insured' despite being asked to insure them - so we had to buy another snorkel, awning, and go halves on the winch bumper, + new shocks for the front as the weight of it dropped the front by 2 " ! The new shocks are going on in the next week or two, along with a full service, Viscus fan rebuild, timing belt etc. All ready for the summer! Once the money comes rolling in during the summer, will get one then (dont really work from Nov to March, apart from annual contracts that keep us fed and wined!).

Hi

I used the search function and ended up on this thread. Like the OP it's winch buying time soon and i've no idea, I know more of wenching than winching and I discovered this thing:

http://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/stealth-winch-13000-synth.html

I am not going to be off roading, It's for an overland rig and hopefully will never have to use it to the point I would wrap the thing in plastic shrink wrap and then mount it.

Has anyone had one, got one or have any advice ?

I still havent done anything regarding a winch :( - but have looked at this one and it seems pretty good - too many other things needing my cash at the moment!

Hi

I used the search function and ended up on this thread. Like the OP it's winch buying time soon and i've no idea, I know more of wenching than winching and I discovered this thing:

http://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/stealth-winch-13000-synth.html

I am not going to be off roading, It's for an overland rig and hopefully will never have to use it to the point I would wrap the thing in plastic shrink wrap and then mount it.

Has anyone had one, got one or have any advice ?

I dont think the the shrink wrap is a good idea, unless you were joking HW, it will rust away in no time if you do IMO.

It looks OK, but I have no idea from experience. The solenoids are the first thing to fail usually, but you'd have to use it for that to happen, so if you don't use it....

After all, it's fairly cheep insurance when you're overlanding...

I dont think the the shrink wrap is a good idea, unless you were joking HW, it will rust away in no time if you do IMO.

It looks OK, but I have no idea from experience. The solenoids are the first thing to fail usually, but you'd have to use it for that to happen, so if you don't use it....

After all, it's fairly cheep insurance when you're overlanding...

Yeah Clive, I was kidding bout the shrink wrap, I'm just gonna drill and tap it with a breather as the Aussie guys do that for some reason.
I think i'm gonna move the solenoid up into the engine bay somewhere for safe keeping and to keep the front bumper area looking clean and not obstruct airflow to the rad.

I still recommend Goodwinch tds as they are waterproof but if you do go down another route. I’d run it regularly. It will keep the grease moving around to keep things lubricated and stop things seizing up. Good grease on all your electrical contacts to help keep moisture out. Keep a cover on it when it is not in use.

Happy winching :)

The worst thing about my Superwinch 9.5 which is 10 years old now and used regularly, is aesthetics. Within 6 months, the chrome tie bars between the two sides of the unit had rusted to hell.

It looked dreadful, so I got a mate to turn and thread some stainless bar, soon cured that. The paint blistered off the rest of the unit soon after, meaning I removed and stripped it, and after a re-grease and a coat of paint, it looked well again.

It's always worked well, never let me down, so can't complain. I probably use it every three weeks or so on average, so it's doing well IMO.

I still recommend Goodwinch tds as they are waterproof but if you do go down another route. I’d run it regularly. It will keep the grease moving around to keep things lubricated and stop things seizing up. Good grease on all your electrical contacts to help keep moisture out. Keep a cover on it when it is not in use.

Happy winching :)

Cheers for the tip Roy.
I realised my bumper doesn't have a winch tray as such so I need to have one laser cut and folded up. Have just had no success at all getting some 3" tube bend for the A bar so I've gone in an entirely different direction. I'll have a "Bullbar" so I'll need a winch to remain on the right side of the law.
Hmmmm I may have a look at a good winch, I've not been skimping on quality parts but I just can't justify a fifth of the purchase price on a Warn.

Have a look at the Come-up winch you won't go wrong with one of them, good quality bit of kit, I have one on my 80 and one in the 70, I will be fitting there twin motor setup to my Patrol once it's finished

Cheers for the tip Roy.
I realised my bumper doesn't have a winch tray as such so I need to have one laser cut and folded up. Have just had no success at all getting some 3" tube bend for the A bar so I've gone in an entirely different direction. I'll have a "Bullbar" so I'll need a winch to remain on the right side of the law.
Hmmmm I may have a look at a good winch, I've not been skimping on quality parts but I just can't justify a fifth of the purchase price on a Warn.

there is enough room behind the stock bumper, that's where I fitted mine. will fish out some pics.

winch.jpg

Last edited:
Have a look at the Come-up winch you won't go wrong with one of them, good quality bit of kit, I have one on my 80 and one in the 70, I will be fitting there twin motor setup to my Patrol once it's finished

I've just got a cheapo chinese one used.
I need to crack on with my bumper build and don't want some over enthusiastic traffic officer to give me points.
Once Christmas is done with ill start putting some cash away for something better. Cheers for the tip, I know Chris (Grey ghost) testifies to come up being a sound investment too. looks like ill go that way.

Winches really are a case of you get what you pay for (except Warn 8274 - overrated and need £'000 spent to make them work properly). I personally don't get caught up in the speed trap, speed is only necessary for the serious winch competitor, or bragging rights - steady and reliable works fine for most and is much safer.

Agree on the comments for plasma - advantages usually outweigh steel ten times over but steel has the edge if you plan to use over rough / rocky ground.

Nobody has mentioned Superwinch Huskey Or Ramsey worm drives - excellent bit of kit, worm drive so self braking and very reliable. I had 2x Huskeys fitted to my Unimog and they never failed - I upgraded them to BOW2 motors.

As mentioned, dont ignore Goodwinch Goldfish - decent for the price, if you talk to David he will admit that he buys winches in cheap from Asia, but has done his homework and knows which ones are good, he then strips them, replaces some seals and bearings and adds the Bow Motor.

A friend of mine has a "RED" winch - superb and beautiful winch but pricey.

Also, typically our Cruisers are heavy - personally I think a 9500 is too small for serious stuck - my front 16,000lb really had to work a few times at Seven Sisters recently. One of the vehicles with us (Patrol 4.2) had a power take off driven
winch with 16mm plasma - what a tool, just wish we had the option of PTO on the transfer.

Also, good advice on getting good solenoids - cheap winches come with cheap solenoids (even the albright copies) - they will let you down, especially if only used occasionally. I have settled on these TG Thompson 500amp solenoids, they are excellent and really do take the abuse, my rear winch solenoid is mounted in the worst place for getting hammered with stones, water, road salt, mud and crud and its still going strong after 4 years.

tg thompson 500amp.jpg

Also, you should really take your time to wire in properly with decent cable, you can lose so much power through poor cable. Isolate the winch also, you will need it for emergency stops and if there is an electrical fault - pulling 300amps can make a mess!

I have this isolator solenoid - excellent, just operates from the dash like a normal relay would, again 500amp continuous:
Isolator-Relays-PAC13-PAC-500-detailed-image-1.jpg

My preference for a cruiser would be:

Power Take (if your transfer box allows you)
Hydraulic - something Im planning on next year
Ramsey / Superwinch Worm Drive
Goodwinch Goldfish / Warn / RED
Comeup
Others.

Back