Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Well Shayne, they've healed up well but i can't close my hand up, like as making a fist, i can only get about 50% & my index finger is stiff from the first joint, been offered more surgery but when i have been at physio i have met three other people with very similar injuries & they had more surgery & wished they hadn't so I'm going to soldier on, still get the phantom pains from time to time but getting less, the cold makes them hurt like ****
so sorry to hear this happend buddy really am.got to think I was very lucky,hope All ok mate really do.

Finally doing some long over due maintenance after the "disco" dash lights coming on last week. Hoping it's a failed alternator/voltage regulator (last drive the voltage was pushing 17v as indicated on the dash.) Whilst I'm replacing the alternator the timing belt, tensioner, fan clutch and water pump is on the list.

Spent a couple of hours tonight disassembling everything - wasted two 10mm spanners and a good 40minutes removing the very rear bolt on the rocker cover. Any tips on getting this one out (or back in for when that comes?) for next time. Hopefully the spanners fall out when I start it up again.

Keep heart JR they decided to operate on my foot which had been crushed in the accident 11 years earlier , no promises they said we can only try . At every appointment prior to the op I met at least one person who advised against it but ultimately the pain was so bad I felt I had nothing to lose so agreed to let them do it . Post op pain was incredible for months I really did think that's it now game over , until about 8 or 9 months later when pain started to ease . Now 2 years later and very very happy I let them do it .

Well led bar wired up now, image.jpgand got to say the new starter motor turned over that fast it's unreal thanks to the AA and only cost me £35 excess all in.

I did think of you JR when Sag mentioned his mishap , he wasn't a member when you had your accident I don't think . How are you getting along with things now , better I hope .

Me too, thought straight away about JM and his disaster.

Not a pretty sight I must say, I've been lucky not to have any serious injuries. Lucky not to have lost your whole hand JM, but that's cold comfort having to live with the injury. Best of luck....

Well led bar wired up now,View attachment 18744

Is that bright enough for you Sag? I have one of these on my winch bumper, I had bought two with the view of fitting them on my roof light bar but put one on the bumper as my HID spots had failed.
I've just made a bracket to mount the second one above the first, should be enough to burn the paint of a Range Rovers tailgate :icon-twisted:, pics to follow when I've had the bracket powder coated and fitted.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had a wierd clonk develop suddenly with the brakes on the back of the 80, discovered that I may have had my monies worth from the discs, new discs and pads fitted now and all is well again.

6ABA901A-1820-4EFE-85A7-89EB584BD0F1_zpszn1pvizt.jpg

Wow that looks nasty!!

Been refurbishing the rear sway bar - the bushes were looking a little tired. What a palaver. One captive nut just let go as soon as it saw a spanner, two bolts just turned oval. One bolt came out cleanly. Good grief.

That's over 2 weekends with heat / penetrating oil, the works.

So I removed the remaining captive nuts and stuck in some stainless M8 rivnuts and stainless M8 bolts and washers with new bushes and covers.

Should be good for a few more years. Gave it a good go with the wire brush and a couple of coats of Hammerite 8 year - not the best but better than nothing ...

Next - the front sway bar :(

When you said a chunk Trev, I thought you meant a chunk. Not a CHUNK. Jeez. That is a new one on me. Total disc failure.

Rob, any thoughts from your engineering failure perspective?

Or has it just got so tin that the brake pressure crushed it

See it all the time on the lorry's in the workshop next to me, discs get a bit thin then overheat & get stress fractures running across the disc, you can see lots of them on both discs in the pictures.

Fark me Chas, I thought I'd cut it fine. I think you win the value for money challenge on discs before actual failure :icon-eek::icon-eek::icon-eek:

They do just where thin and the heat finishes them off. Had a set of brand new drums on my old hgv wrecker fail in 100 miles before good job I was unloaded.
Stu

Fark me Chas, I thought I'd cut it fine. I think you win the value for money challenge on discs before actual failure :icon-eek::icon-eek::icon-eek:

They were on the petrol 80 I had, I was on my way down to Julian V to get it serviced when I got this noise from the front brakes, there had been nothing previous to that drive, obviously there was something seriously wrong, but I continued on the journey using engine braking as much as possible as I had nearly reached Julian's. I couldn't believe my eyes when they were removed.

Is that bright enough for you Sag? I have one of these on my winch bumper, I had bought two with the view of fitting them on my roof light bar but put one on the bumper as my HID spots had failed.
I've just made a bracket to mount the second one above the first, should be enough to burn the paint of a Range Rovers tailgate :icon-twisted:, pics to follow when I've had the bracket powder coated and fitted.
Hi Chas,
got to admit makes the roads light up nicely now,when I put the new headlights in I thought they were bright but theses are great,i wouldn't want to meet you coming round a corner with 2of them on.cant wait for the pictures.

Hi Chas,
got to admit makes the roads light up nicely now,when I put the new headlights in I thought they were bright but theses are great,i wouldn't want to meet you coming round a corner with 2of them on.cant wait for the pictures.

I should be getting the stuff back from the powder coaters on Thursday, unfortunately I have to go to a funeral in Bournemouth on Friday so it will be the week-end before I can fit them.

This was bugger to get out ... is that white stuff remnants of loctite or something? I put it back in with a bit of alu/graphite anti seize .. so hopefully next time it's a lot easier.

IMG_0575.JPG

A couple of days ago I replaced the front ARB bushes and drop links on the 100.

Whoever designed this thing deserves a prize - the bush retaining brackets are directly above the torsion bars so only a flat spanner will fit the lower bolt and the angles are such that one can't get access from above for the upper one as the lower wishbone is in the way.

Naturally one head sheared off and it took two hours to get the remains of the shaft out with heat and my smallest mole grip :icon-evil:.

All done now, but I haven't taken any photos of the installation yet.

They needed doing though :icon-wink:.

DSCN4371_zpswionn3jw.jpg

Then . . another disaster :shock:.

My front suspension rams were leaking so I bought new (genuine Toyota) ones from Roughtrax.

The first job is to set the ride height to 'Normal' then turn everything off.

Then bleed the front Actuators to drop the front suspension. I had been wire brushing and oiling the bleed nipples for some time in anticipation and had bought a set of new nipples and caps to replace the rusty remains of the originals.

Amazingly both opened and the suspension dropped as planned. So I put the new nipples in . . and the O/S one stripped its thread :angry-screaming:.

I don't fancy replacing the unit as they are around £600 each so I've ordered a 7mm x 1mm helicoil kit which will hopefully arrive on Monday. The next problem is to find a way of drilling into the side of the unit with only 5 inches of clearance between the chassis and body (I may have sorted that with an air ratchet, a 10mm socket and the small chuck from a flexi-drive. Time will tell). I don't want to remove the old unit as the pipe unions are rusted solid and I'm sure the pipes will fail if I try. I have managed to get four of the bolts out with heat, oil and a lot of patience but I think there is one on top that I can't see.

Its very obvious that the AHC system is assembled on the chassis long before the body goes on as access is a nightmare.

Meanwhile I have replaced both front rams. Getting the top nuts off the old ones was a challenge as there is no access and the nuts were just conical mounds of rust anyway. I had to split them from above with a variety of very sharp cold chisels and a 2.5 lb hammer - that job took about three hours each side.

Now another problem that is galloping towards me - the hydraulic pipe fits to the top of the ram and is sealed with a small rubber ring. The pipe fitting is then bolted down to the ram mounting.

The Ram kit contains the two large rubber mounting bushes and a new top nut, but why don't they include the rubber 'O' ring for the hydraulic pipe ????

I don't have anything that will fit in my 'O-ring kit' so have put the unions back with a smear of red rubber grease. I'm expecting a flood of AHC Fluid when I start the thing up eventually.

No pictures yet I'm afraid (just too hacked off). There is a lot to be said for simple cars.

Bob.

Ouch. If you want a helper to hold things / fetch things / moan at, shout!!

Ouch. If you want a helper to hold things / fetch things / moan at, shout!!

Thanks Gary . . But I'm best left alone under my personal black cloud :lol:.

It was one of those moments - I was carefully tightening the new bleed nipple when it just started going round and round.

I just lay on my back going "Oohhhhh Shhhhh1111111tttttt".

Suddenly a bad job got a whole lot worse.

Its MOT is booked for Tuesday, I'm expecting to have to postpone it :icon-cry:.

Bob.

Back