Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

With the currently visiting @grantw ’s invaluable assistance, we fault-finded two minor issues on my Truck, the closed-won’t-open driver side rear door window and the non-functioning passenger side rear central locking.
Conclusions: the CL on that door doesn’t work because the little motor appears to be binding, maybe on the magnets because it was full of what looked like powdered graphite. The motor works intermittently, but hits a high spot and stops. Trying to source the whole ‘black box’ thingy second hand/new now.
The window winder was more obvious, the steel pivot of the plastic main sprocket had rusted solid. We managed to free it a bit, but it was rusted too badly to keep. So we looked at the replacement mechs I’ve had in stock for the front door windows, never fitted cos the originals are still functioning, and found that the motor/sprocket assy is interchangeable. After some fettling and jiffling, it now works like new.
100% credits to @grantw for his tireless diagnostics, moral and active support.
Shame some clown (me) had left the ignition on all day with the heater fan on no.2 setting, and the consequential flat batteries I found when it came to home-time :doh:
Again @grantw to the rescue with 15 minutes or so of 20 amps of charging which got us underway.
Thank you @grantw you’re a star :clap:

With the up and coming social weekend nr Brackley it occurred to me that the damping on the 100 series wasn't all it could be so at the last minute I decided new dampers was the order of the day. Having asked more knowledgeable members than I I decided to go for EFS initially and contacted Devon 4x4 who for some reason couldn't supply +2" dampers so as an alternative I chose Ironman Foam cell Pro's from West Coast 4x4. Ordered at 3.00pm Wed, delivered 8.30 thurs, not bad service at all.
I had already removed all the dampers the day before so it was like a McClaren pit stop, the fronts being installed in about 10 mins, this can be done with the wheels on and the rears about half hour each, access to the top nut being difficult and getting about 1/6 of a turn with a ratchet spanner at a time. The rears done on the ramp.
Result, a firmer but far more controlled ride so I'm looking forward to the drive this
IMG_1789.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG
after.

Fixed my spare wheel carrier after a discussion with a large tree... note to self check all 3 mirrors when reversing...

Did a similar thing myself today, only instead of hitting a wayward tree, it was a Skoda estate car parked literally right outside the door of the supermarket, not in a designated parking space like the one I was reversing out of.

Luckily, I hit only his door pillar mirror, snapping the casting at the folding pivot. Some cash-in-hand together with mutterings of stupid parking resolved the matter, there and then. Job done :lol:

Brake pedal switch change , will not go into gear and no rear brake lights. Replacement £11 off Fleabay can't be bad.

Did a similar thing myself today, only instead of hitting a wayward tree, it was a Skoda estate car parked literally right outside the door of the supermarket, not in a designated parking space like the one I was reversing out of.

Luckily, I hit only his door pillar mirror, snapping the casting at the folding pivot. Some cash-in-hand together with mutterings of stupid parking resolved the matter, there and then. Job done :lol:

I wish mine had been a Skoda. I'd managed to bend the spare carrier so much it wouldn't open and dented the lower tailgate. Still at least it opens now..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With the onset of winter I thought I'd give the 120 a check over and service. 4 aerosols of WD M/C chain lube later and the underneath was all treated, this was on top of what was still there from last time so should keep the salt off as it appears to have done last time.
Oil and filter change, using a gen filter and the last of the 15-30 mineral oil from the bulk tank. I had used this last time with no adverse effects ( as I have used it on all the Cruisers I've had) so I used it again. Fuel and oil filters were ok having done only 8k since they were changed, all brake pads and discs good, again only 8k. Belts all good so ready for what winter can throw at it.

Last edited:
Good job Andy, I watched a Canadian guy doing a similar exercise on youtube and he used sticky chainsaw oil mixed with a bit of linseed oil! Applied with a garden sprayer. He spoke highly of the mixture.... Infact you've inspired to prep my 81 for the winter salted roads! Definitely prevention is better than the cure on this subject!

Replaced the rear brake pads and continued trouble shooting the new stereo unit. It now plays sound through the rear speakers and the driver's side front. Nearside still not working but I can live with it for now.

Been busy getting the Quad back to spec. New brake calipers all round, rebuild of both master cylinders, a good tidy of the wiring, new battery and hoovered out all the nuts and mouse bedding. Gave the carb a refresh, new air filter to come and lastly a new drive belt. Running fairly well for a 15 year old machine. Winch still works too which shocked me given that it's a Warn. Pretty battered and beaten in places but nothing a new body kit wouldn't sort out.

Bought some materials to re fit the boot on the 80, it needs to change and put the fridge lower. Never planned on a fridge when originally built it.
Need to alter as need more flat/floor space, I've refined the stuff I keep in the drawers so won't need 2 big deep drawers.

C391A235-618F-40D6-B615-BC092A69D61A.jpeg
Treated mine to an early oil change, a wash, hoover and some industrial strength wheel cleaner. Fine having a work trip to the uk for a change!

No maintenance required. Passed mot this morning, not even an advisory :):):):)

Spent the day underneath the rear end cleaning up and protecting the back axle, scraping off the (now hard and flakey) old waxoil and treating the, thankfully, surface rust. I’d booked some time at a local garage in town who sell ramp time but unfortunately couldn’t use it. It was one of the lifts with arms that support the vehicle on the chassis rails but the ‘safe’ lifting points were the rear control arm and front radius arm mounts which meant the weight would be on the rubber bushes which I wasn’t that happy with so it was back to the ramps on the drive!

fitted new front calipers on tuesday
20191015_151627.jpg
as my brakes have been crap for quite a while, thought the pads might have been near the end of their life but only half way through, fitted new toyota pads anyway.
Today I visited @Trevor who fitted my snorkel for me, it's been sat on the spare room floor for 7 months waiting patiently for an opportunity to be fitted and as I was off this week he fitted me in :)
20191017_114821.jpg
20191017_115349.jpg
20191017_122639.jpg
20191017_145412.jpg
20191017_162002.jpg

Then, he very kindly bled my brakes for me as the crappy little suction jobby I have at home isnt really up to the job. Mjb has brakes, woo!!!

Last edited:
fitted new front calipers on tuesday
View attachment 160176 as my brakes have been crap for quite a while, thought the pads might have been near the end of their life but only half way through, fitted new toyota pads anyway.
Today I visited @Trevor who fitted my snorkel for me, it's been sat on the spare room floor for 7 months waiting patiently for an opportunity to be fitted and as I was off this week he fitted me in :)
View attachment 160179 View attachment 160180 View attachment 160178 View attachment 160177 View attachment 160181
Then, he very kindly bled my brakes for me as the crappy little suction jobby I have at home isnt really up to the job. Mjb has brakes, woo!!!

That's a fine impersonation of a Snorkel your doing there nick..:icon-biggrin:

Removed my brake lines this morning ready for replacement with braided lines (see my other post). All went well until I realised there was dog sh*t on my (gravel) drive which I hadn't seen, and which I had been rolling around in for 10 minutes. I don't even own a fuc*ing dog........

Sprayed the Engine bay with De Greaser and Power washed prior to sorting the Valve cover gasket... Came up like a new Penny.. All of the 10mm cover bolts were Pretty slack. So i Torqued em down and gonna leave it a few days, See whats what.. Might just save me a job....Also sorted rust Bubbles under back window seal Wasn't that bad enough to have to get the welder out.. Thank god. And i didn't have to roll round in Dog Shit..:thumbup:
DSCF9872.JPG
DSCF9873.JPG
Dont look bad for a 320,000 mile engine
DSCF9876.JPG

Last edited:
Back