Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wiring in electric seats

yogi

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
How difficult is it to wire in electric seats where manual adjust ones were fitted before?

Usually the wiring is in place but it does depend on the year. AFAIK electric seats came in 92/93? if yours is older then an examine under the seat may be necessary.

Andy

Ok, and what am I looking for Andy?

Mine is a 1991 HDJ81.

Is there one plug is basically what I'm asking, or is there a separate one for each motor?

There is one plug, mine has 5 wires. It has heated and electrically operated seats now but they were heated manually operated ones. The question is, are your seats heated, if so there will be a cable coming out of the carpet under the seat which connects to a plug under the base. I cannot categorically say that they will be there on such an early Cruiser if it didnt have heated seats and if it did then if you have 5 wires in your plug you should be ok for power to the seat motors.
Hope this helps.

Andy

It appears not to have it Andy!

Surely though if its just a five pin plug then one a ground and the other 4 are 3 for the motors and 1 for the seat heater?

If so couldn't you link into the feed for rear heater?

Just typing and thinking here, so stop me if I am raving!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
TBH Yogi I dont know if its that simple, it may be but knowing Toyota it wont be. You may need a lump of loom, I don't know. If you want seat heaters you will need the 2 position switches that fit in the centre console and since they have 2 settings the wiring may be more complicated than just one/on/off.
Its about as much help as I can give at present. Any more help others may have an answer.

Andy

I am yet to look but in a similar boat. I hope to pickup a set of grey leather heated seats soon and transplant them into my brown cloth interior which is a 1994 jap import with manual seats but they are heated.

I will take a look for you as need/want to sound proof the front half of the car do need to get the seats out anyway. I hope yo do this over the bank holiday so will let you know what I find.

The main loom certainly changed in '95 with the facelift. It was generic to all models, even those without seat heaters and adjustment but additional 'sub-looms' were required for the instal and connection of electric seats. If a vehicle pre-dates the introduction of electric seating then it almost certainly won't have the required wiring.

Can someone help me make head of this diagram please. I am trying to find the ground and live

Seat heater schematic v2-page1.jpg

No worries I have it as I was looking at it from the wrong side.

I now have a working power seat.

Last edited:
I would guess the heater wiring may not carry the amperage to operate the seat motors, with regards to the seat heaters they draw a lot of juice so again amps may be an issue using the heater wiring. I would add, my car has cloth manual seats, apparently it was an option instead of electric leather? The heaters are there as is the electric lumbar support, I originally would have liked leather but found they are either cold in winter and burny bum in the summer, cloth fits the bill all round so I am happy with them. I added that info in case you go loom hunting, you might stumble across a vehicle with no seats and end up with wiring that does not suit electric leather, now at least you know there are alternative looms.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
FYI its plug and play on my car. I also have the electric heated seats and lumbar support cloth variety and comparing the wiring its a perfect match.

One seat in and three more to go once i have given them a clean. They are just that much more comfortable than cloth for me even if they are going to get seat covers on them as soon as i land in SA.

Does anybody have electric, leather seats for sale? I want to change my standart vx seats

Back