Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Xenon headlight upgrade

Its not legal is one issue. You need self levelling headlights or self levelling suspension and headlamp washers and most importantly lenses/reflectors approved for use with HID bulbs.

Its not legal is one issue. You need self leveling headlights or self leveling suspension and headlamp washers and most importantly lenses/reflectors approved for use with HID bulbs.

The way I see it that is not true, if the car has the headlight washers they have to work, I have had HID's on my car for six years and never had any
problems but they are a much better light output than the standard ones, but don't go for the very blue tinted ones, when I got mine I got 6000k ones
and they are fine, but just fitted some on another vehicle and fitted 4300k ones and they are a lot whiter

Vosa's view on HID Headlamps
The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.
In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above."

Vosa's view on HID Headlamps
The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.
In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above."

Sorry but as far as I am concerned its a lot of words on a piece of paper, the fact is they sell thousends of these units and there is never any thing done
about them fitted, but the main thing they give out much better light than the originals.

So until any one proves any difference I will continue to use them and be safer on the roads

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a real issue with self installed HID's as the majority are poorly installed which results in blinding the oncomming traffic. The sooner these are outlawed then the better.

Sorry if that is not the popular view, as I know quite a few on here have after market HID's installed.

I have a real issue with self installed HID's as the majority are poorly installed which results in blinding the oncomming traffic. The sooner these are outlawed then the better.

Sorry if that is not the popular view, as I know quite a few on here have after market HID's installed.

I tend to agree. Poorly installed ones that have excess light scatter are dangerous. Over 90 percent of the oncoming traffic that blinds me at night has HIDs. Most of the remainder are those that haven't figured out how to turn off front fog lights.

Most self installed systems are incorrectly aimed, do not have headlight cleaning systems (so when they get dirty they cause a lot of light scatter) or are fitted to vehicles with inappropriate lenses and reflectors.

Don't get me wrong - I have self installed them in the past but have always checked there is minimal light scatter on low beam. In general projector type lights seem to be pretty OK, but most normal reflector/lens systems are poor at light control.

Sorry but as far as I am concerned its a lot of words on a piece of paper, the fact is they sell thousends of these units and there is never any thing done
about them fitted, but the main thing they give out much better light than the originals.

So until any one proves any difference I will continue to use them and be safer on the roads

These conversion kits have been quite popular on one of the other vehicle forums I frequent. Some have failed MoT for them, many others have passed without comment - as usual it depends on how thoroughly your tester is checking. Chances are you'll probably get away with it at MoT.

VOSA are a different matter though. Everyone tagged by them was forced to remove them - 4 people so far. They were on the A34 today pulling people into Sutton Scotney to have a looksee.

Last edited:
Well, I am sure I will be bringing a few kit's back with me when I come back in the summer.
I am not going to buy the cheapest, but also not the most expensive.
I guess on a scale of zero for cheap, and 100% for top price, I will head for the 30% to 40% region.

Along with a few pairs of HID driving lights, of 5 inch and 7 inch.
And tyre pressure monitor systems.

Gra.

Last edited:

Hi Tony

I see what you are saying, but equally there is far more original lights that are miss aligned, but I must admit when I fitted mine I took it to the main dealer
and had it checked and found it was fine.

and just a point My son in law has them fitted and when he once took for MOT he asked after the test "what about HID's, would he fail if had them, and the
reply was "if the aim was fine then no "

Hi Tony

I see what you are saying, but equally there is far more original lights that are miss aligned

Agreed. Lights on cars must be my biggest gripe at the moment. Either original or HID's miss aligned, poxy spot/fog lights on all the time, or even drivers with brights on.

I often wish I had Lil Blue still so that I could get revenge with all 8 spots on :icon-evil:.

/Rant over

These conversion kits have been quite popular on one of the other vehicle forums I frequent. Some have failed MoT for them, many others have passed without comment - as usual it depends on how thoroughly your tester is checking. Chances are you'll probably get away with it at MoT.

VOSA are a different matter though. Everyone tagged by them was forced to remove them - 4 people so far. They were on the A34 today pulling people into Sutton Scotney to have a looksee.

I've got a set on mine, they are very good, but i can see why other drivers dont like them! I passed the mot in nov with mine, but admit to getting twichy when behind the police! I have my lights adjusted 4 on the mway to cut down on dazzle!

Your vosa comment is interesting! I carry spare oe bulbs just in case i get stopped, I plan on being reasonable, saying they've been on years( which is true) but I ve got a spare bulb kit in the car, and will change them immediately if necessary!

I have no gripe if people here want to fit them. The OP's request was about any pitfalls. Being illegal is definitely something he should know about. If he (or anyone) then chooses to do it anyway then thats their decision.

I do agree the light output is much better with HIDs but in order to be safe the light has to be controlled correctly and thats what VOSA are trying to ensure.
Frankly given the number of poor aftermarket installations I'm (for once) in agreement with them.

You aren't safer with HIDs if you blind the guy coming towards you and he hits you because he couldn't see.

To be honest my question was to do with the vehicle and whether it would affect electics etc. The point of law is not one I had even considered. I will now though! My local Toyo dealer offers the conversion as an option.

If its offered as an option the legality aspect should be OK. Other than the legal aspect its a good upgrade but make sure they are set up correctly and appropriately E marked.

As far as actual lighting performance is concerned, the fitting of HID 'upgrade' kits to non-HID specific light housings seems to be very much a suck it and see situation. Some will perform very well, some will be so bad to the point of being dangerous. I've got them fitted to the inner main beam lamps and also have some bumper mounted HID driving lamps. They both give excellent performance, not only as regards lighting power but with good beam cutoff and focus and very little ambient light scatter. I also tried a low/main beam kit in the outer headlights and they were shite. The beams were all over the place with terrible light scatter which could not be dialled out with the adjusters so the upshot is I have HID main beams and kept the halogen filament bulbs in the low beams to avoid dazzle. This also meant I kept the 'instant flash' ability of filament bulbs which HID's are no good for.

I've seen kits which are E marked but if you're installing them in non-HID specific E marked housings this means nothing.

My last MOT was the first with the HID's in. I phoned ahead and asked the question regarding their legality and was informed they must pass the beam aim check and that was it so an MOT fail wasn't an issue.

As far as the practical side of installing them goes, be aware that some ballasts can interfere with radio reception in low signal areas. The brightest or whitest lights are the 4300-5000k range. Above that you start to get a colour tint with a corresponding drop off in actual light output.

Last edited:
This also meant I kept the 'instant flash' ability of filament bulbs which HID's are no good for.
I don't understand this, I've got HID's in main and dipped beams and still have the instant flash. :confusion-confused: also on my other 80 I have HID spots which also can be 'flashed'

Last edited:
I don't understand this, I've got HID's in main and dipped beams and still have the instant flash. :confusion-confused: also on my other 80 I have HID spots which also can be 'flashed'

Halogen filament bulbs reach full brightness instantly. HID's take several seconds to warm up and reach full brightness from a cold start so will be nothing like as bright when flashed for 1-2 seconds for instance.

you're not alone Tony. I can't see what's wrong with a 55w halogen bulb, has everyone gone blind? Most roads are not flat or straight so even pukka HID installs dazzle more than an old fashioned halogen but I suppose they will at least have a clear view of the oncoming traffic when it slams into them.

Back