Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Xenon headlight upgrade

Halogen filament bulbs reach full brightness instantly. HID's take several seconds to warm up and reach full brightness from a cold start so will be nothing like as bright when flashed for 1-2 seconds for instance.

I understand what you are saying, but what I'm saying is mine DON'T take any time at all, they are instant when flashed, when first switched on they are instantly bright but dim straight away then there is a slight delay in reaching full brightness, but when flashed there is NO delay! If I use the flash lever before the headlights are switched on (ie; from cold) there is full brightness but if the lever is then held on they dim then build up to full brightness again, same as when they have been switched on. When I get in the truck in my garage and switch the lights on before backing out I can see the beam on the wall in front of me and can clearly see how bright they are.

Last edited:
This also meant I kept the 'instant flash' ability of filament bulbs which HID's are no good for.
Perhaps you bought some very old, or early type HID lights.
Or simply just not good quality.
However, remember that "price paid" does not in most cases relate to quality.

Gra.

I understand what you are saying, but what I'm saying is mine DON'T take any time at all, they are instant when flashed, when first switched on they are instantly bright but dim straight away then there is a slight delay in reaching full brightness, but when flashed there is NO delay! If I use the flash lever before the headlights are switched on (ie; from cold) there is full brightness but if the lever is then held on they dim then build up to full brightness again, same as when they have been switched on. When I get in the truck in my garage and switch the lights on before backing out I can see the beam on the wall in front of me and can clearly see how bright they are.

The operation you describe is how mine work and is typical of HID lights from cold startup. The initial bright flash is from the startup voltage, many times the operational voltage, and usually just a few milliseconds duration. The lamp then dims when the arc is struck and gradually increases to full light output over the next several seconds. The initial startup flash is of such short duration as to be virtually useless IMO. The problem is much less pronounced when the lamps are at full temp, for instance when repeatedly dipping/undipping the lights for oncoming traffic.

Mine also operate the same as Cossack described, but there's no evidence that they're old or cheap units. From the initial flash on, they take about 10-15 seconds to get to what appears to be operational brightness. No complaints at all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The initial startup flash is of such short duration as to be virtually useless IMO.
Not at all useless, the whole point of a 'flash' is to signal not to illuminate anything so therefore length of flash is immaterial IMO. :think:

Well, I am sure I will be bringing a few kit's back with me when I come back in the summer.
I am not going to buy the cheapest, but also not the most expensive.
I guess on a scale of zero for cheap, and 100% for top price, I will head for the 30% to 40% region.

Along with a few pairs of HID driving lights, of 5 inch and 7 inch.
And tyre pressure monitor systems.

Gra.

Mate

r u bring back lights that would fit a 100 series?

My old '99 V8 100 had HID's but my current '01 doesn't. Sometimes I wonder if the lights are on at all! I must of gotten used to it, but I've been driving a Mini Doopper for about 6 months and it has xenons, so I'm really noticing it again :-(

It's a bit mad that Toyo build such capable off-roaders with lights not much better than candles!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
you're not alone Tony. I can't see what's wrong with a 55w halogen bulb, has everyone gone blind? Most roads are not flat or straight so even pukka HID installs dazzle more than an old fashioned halogen but I suppose they will at least have a clear view of the oncoming traffic when it slams into them.

I couldn't see what was 'wrong' with a 55w filament bulb until I tried the HID's. The light output from 55w filament bulbs is pitiful in comparison. Got to agree though that dazzle from ultra bright HID's can be a real problem which is why I left the low beams as standard because the light from the HID's, when fitted, was all over the place. The only issue I find with my setup is the low beams are that weak compared to the highs that it looks like you've turned the headlights off when you dip them!

Last edited:
The A8 I had for a bit last year had them and I don't miss them but for high beam they make more sense.

I had factory HIDs on my Mondeo I had a couple years ago and would have them again in a instant.

However there is more than adequate light from the standard lights in my 90 when used with higher output bulbs such as the Nightbreakers etc.

Back