Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-FT bearings

benjaminf

Country Flag
finland
Same bearings or not 1HD-T and 1HD-FT ?
Toyota (oem)has the same number on Main bearings but different on Rod big end.
FT engine 13041-17011 T engine 13041-17010.
Aftermarket Taiho, for example, same bearings for both engines.

Originally fitted Big End bearings were different, particularly on earlier 1HD-T and are well known to give trouble in the UK. Many members have replaced with ACLs (Karl Webster on here has stock) and Toyota now supply the same bearings as the 1HD-FT for the 1HD-T. Some later 1HD-Ts WE BELIEVE had the later bearings fitted but we don't know which.

Hope this helps.

…or genuine Toyota ones for the 1HD-FT…if you want to pay. The problem lies in the oil having IIRC magnesium in it which reacted with the original metal alloy. The later ones were rectified. I changed my BEBs on my '84 81 Japanese import which had done 55000 miles in Japan and 55000mikes in UK on Morris's Multivis. They were just off of new looking and would have easily continued for many miles. I replaced mine with ACLs from Karl.

I changed my 1HD-FT bearings and used OEM Toyota some years and 60k miles ago now. They were more expensive than ACL but not by much if I remember but the new bolts were quite pricey.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My memory ain't what it used to be! Just dug out the receipt. 6 bearings £13.02 each, 12 bolts £2.05 each and a oil strainer gasket @ 57p, all + vat =£134.06 back in July 2005. No idea how much they are now though.

Hmmm, making me doubt my memory, unless the bolts have gone up vastly in 10 years which is of course totally possible.

The 1HD-T was the subject of a Toyota recall in Australia back in the day and they replaced the bearings under warranty. Mine was done before I bought the car 16 years ago (I'm the second owner) and they've been fine ever since.

The 1HD-T was the subject of a Toyota recall in Australia back in the day and they replaced the bearings under warranty. Mine was done before I bought the car 16 years ago (I'm the second owner) and they've been fine ever since.
I think the UK was the only place that wouldn't admit that there was a problem with the bearings. I hear that everywhere apart form the UK did them under warranty

I think the UK was the only place that wouldn't admit that there was a problem with the bearings. I hear that everywhere apart form the UK did them under warranty
That's interesting Karl. Soon after I bought mine I spotted the Internet threads on BEB problems and mentioned them to the Toyota main dealer that I was dealing with at the time who claimed to have heard nothing of the problem. I hate the lies this country seems to come up with with alarming regularity when others put their hands up and admit. Perhaps we are worried about being sued in the uk?

Last edited:
Every dealer says the same in the UK.
I know a couple of people who had new crate engines in there 80s years ago and could get a penny at the time

That's not always the case though.
I had a similar issue with a new dirt bike in 2011. There was a fuel pump issue causing shut down when hot which was all over the internet. Mine developed the problem when 3 months out of warranty at 6 months old (only 3 months warranty on new competition bikes) so I contacted the dealer who said they had heard nothing about it. I pointed out the fact that it was widespread and well documented on the internet so they said they'd contact the manufacturer who must've coughed for something 'cos they supplied a complete new pump assembly, normally around £280 retail, FOC as a 'good will gesture'. Apparently the problem was due to a faulty batch of pumps as the new replacement was identical and has been fine since.

You don't have to change the bolts. Manual says to check for distortion and reuse.

My friends wife has a second hand Honda Jazz. At 7 years old the clutch started slipping. Fair enough so they took it to main dealer. No charge as clutch "should last life of the car ".

Maybe it had to do with the fact that, at that time, and still today I think, Toyota sold more Landcruisers in Australia than anywhere else. They didn't want to kill the golden goose.

Were the 1HZ affected?

I've just done a little research and it appears that only the 1HD-T had a problem probably to do with the extra strain induced by the turbo. There are some interesting theories out there though. This one from the IH8MUD forum... "The 1hd-t had harmonic issues which resulted in oil cavitation at the 2000-2200rpm range if I remember correctly." I hadn't heard that before. Anyway, nobody seems too perturbed about doing the bearings on a 1HZ unless there are other indicators that something is wrong or that you happen to have the sump off for something else and decide to take advantage and do the bearings at the same time.

I read all the stories and saw the photos, so I was keen to be sure my HZ was ok.

At 350k the shells had some marks but nothing like the horror photos. It's peace of mind TBH, and the job is quick and simple for someone that knows these engines. It's not worth not doing them, it's cheap and a better alternative to a hole in the crankcase.

...the job is quick and simple for someone that knows these engines. It's not worth not doing them, it's cheap and a better alternative to a hole in the crankcase.
I agree Clive but I was simply putting some perspective on the question of "Were the 1HZ affected?"

Back