Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2002 collie or 2003 120 ??

warrenpfo

The wife currently drives a 2003 Rav4 which has been with us for eve and a day and has a full yota service history. Its been great BUT is now getting a little small.

With the impending move to SA the thinking is to "upgrade" and since we have always had Toyota's we are keen to stay in the family if we can. If we had up to £7k to spend on a car would you get a high milage 120 or a slightly lower milage 90?

It seems the mpg from both is close if not much in it so i guess it comes down to reliability and a vote from those in the know.

Once we have come to a conclusion then i will ask for some help in what to look out for but until then I have 4 weeks to make a decision and source the vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Looking at diesels

Last edited:
They are worlds apart, the chassis is significantly stiffer on the 120 and the d4d is more powerful and in my opinion the 120 is much more refined. The 120 is more powerful due to a slightly different engine and injection systems, e.g. The injection pressures are higher on the 120 and cruise control is a must for long haul driving.

But dont listen to anyone, go drive them and see the differences for yourself, that said, again same old story, a well maintained collie might be a better deal than a badly maintained 120.

But generally, I would say the 120 is a better car unless your on a tight budget, as off-road parts for a 120 are twice the price than collie parts.

either way try and get as low a mileage as you can afford.

oh and yes both breakdown and both do 20-25 mpg max. Do not believe what you hear on here.

From the choice available, I feel a 120 would be your way forward.

I would say the 120 is marginally more economical, they are no slug from the traffic lights.

Not sure I ever got as low as 20, around town, probably 23-24, tyres softish, at about 24 (so many holes, and the barstuards have the cheek to install road humps)
Motorway, 60 mph, about 29-31, tyres pumped up to around 38 'ish.

Gra

I think for 7k you 'd probably get a nicer , low mileage well looked after D-4D powered collie than a well used 120.

Regularly get 27-32mpg from my D-4-D powered collie ok its a swb but I'm not that gentle on the throttle.

Never driven a 120 but very happy with my collie with 115k on the clock all feels tight and drives great with plenty of grunt on tap.

I would go for the D4D collie, rather than the 120 on a couple points. Firstly I prefer the look of the 90 over the 120. The 120 is slightly heavier from what I've read. And as above you're likely to find a lower mileage D4D collie around 2002. On top of that, you may have some cash left over if you find a good deal.

At the end of the day it'll be best if you test drive both and see which you prefer.

Whilst the 120 might be the better package, if your budget is limited to £7k or thereabouts, I would stick with a D4D Collie - you should be able to pick a really good one up for that and have enough to spare for a full and comprehensive service too. Any 120 you pick up for that money maybe a little tired and need attention.

If you're really set on a 120, I would up the budget to nearer £10k.

Good luck with your search, whichever model you choose. :thumbup:

Add:
D4D Collies: A few examples of what you can get for around the £5k mark

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ntity-of-doors/5/model/land_cruiser?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...used,nearlynew,new/postcode/wd187lb?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...used,nearlynew,new/postcode/wd187lb?logcode=p

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No mot and tax but hey subject to it passing an mot which at that price I would be happy to pay for and do long as it checks out it looks a steal. That usually means there is more to it but I have fired him an email to enquire.

Well it's still available, am chatting to the owner in the morning. Will keep you posted.

dont forget if you take to SA its a 100% inport tax on what they think the car if worth +vat if you havnt owned for a year.
stu

dont pay anything till you are in it!
too good to be true prices are usually just that..........

I must admit that I never really look on Gumtree.......some of the prices are....shall we say, surprising; some people seem to be advertising their cars at around 1/2 the market value! :shifty:

Other than the 120 Warren has already found, I saw this - a 2005 120 D4D LC4 auto .....I'm sure at that advertised price, if you walked up and laid £5k on the table, it would be yours.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...f-nav-electric-seats/1049096182#photo-content

Sorry Warren, don't want to hijack your thread....but some of those Gumtree ads are certainly shifty;

I've been watching this 100 based in Berkhamstead, Herts - advertised for around £10k, for a few weeks (not really to buy but to see if it sells/what price etc.)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Toyo...el-42-TD-VX-Automatic-Full-Spec-/321323515701

Exact same cruiser and pics advertised on Gumtree (but based in Kingston Surrey) for £4.5k :wtf:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...ull-spec-like-a-boss/1048828470#photo-content

I've seen a few others ........as has been said, if the price is too good to be true, it probably isn't. :thumbdown:

Buy on condition with the best history you can find where the owner has actually looked after the car and not just done the bare minimum, any car you buy at this age and milage will need some work doing to it so it's best to budget for that too.

either car will be great,

Before I bought Swampy I was on track to replace Fiery with a 120 in a year or so time and had already started looking at prices and modifications as you do. Then completely out of the blue i had the chance to buy Swampy for £1000 under book with over £4000 worth of mods and servicing done. It was too good an opportunity to pass on in my mind even with the knackered front axle a short list of minor niggles. I guess the thing to do is keep an open mind between the two models and start looking. You'll know the second the right one turns up cause you'll feel it rather than analyse it. If vehicle choice was just down to the facts then I'd still be driving Fiery and dreaming about a 120 and Chris would have something in Blue :icon-biggrin: :icon-wink:

Last edited:
I thought that Chris' new motor was Blue? He wouldn't have accepted anything less....surely? ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100P

It astonishes me that anyone might be equally keen on both vehicles because in my mind they are worlds apart , sure they are comparable on paper but personality wise its like comparing Tyson to Dalia Lama . Beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess and i wouldn't swap my 90 for any 120 but it seems to me if both float your boat the newer vehicle is the obvious choice because tough as the LC are almost every problem we read on here is age related .

Tyson V Dalia Lama is i bit extreme , if i said i wouldn't kick Victoria Beckham or Angelina Jolie out of bed but i have my own ideas about which would be the best ride my point might be a bit clearer .

Last edited:
Back