Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

6 year old BFG all-terrains cracking

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
my 6 year old BFG tyres showing a lot of cracks Around the shoulders and around treads, surprised.
DOT code shows made in 50th week of 2013

Thought they would last longer, but vehicle not a daily drive so probably hasn’t helped

0D6B8D79-7059-4115-82B8-5E7585524C57.jpeg
FF38A198-B66D-42E9-B68C-CFA8F539868D.jpeg
5FC1842B-02F1-4B47-8F73-6DF197BD0256.jpeg
E8E08BEB-E971-4B8E-87E5-2BC15E6C02AB.jpeg
2B23A5A3-0385-4401-BE47-C88B89DEF621.jpeg
E0419FC6-66B9-4464-A642-95202744CDE0.jpeg

Just checked my BFG AT’s, date code wk30 2013, fitted Nov’13 and they have no signs of cracking. Mine is also not a daily driver, weekends only and a Scotland holiday a couple of times a year. Tarmac use only, no serious offroad.

Are you running them at too low pressure maybe?

I don’t think so, generally front tyres 33-34psi and rears 35-37psi
Done a fair load of unpaved roads, and not usually aired down

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought a Corolla that had been used only for 1000 miles a year recently... fitted with 2013 Dunlops on the front and the same brand tyre all round. Had the same problem, they were an advisory on the MOT, very badly cracked. The 2011 rear tyre was in good condition, and on the other side the 2008 tyre was poor. The 2002 Dunlop spare in the boot is in as new condition though. I suspect it was parked with the front in the sunlight only, the bonnet is faded too.

I had the same issue with Cooper STTs though the cracking was far more extensive.Every single tread block had cracked where it joined the sidewall , on all four tyres.I emailed Cooper UK & was told that they were out of guarantee so nothing could be done.After persisting (politely of course) % phoning the customer support manager I got 4 new tyres sent to my local fitting shop FOC .I also mentioned that I would be posting on this forum about the experience.
I then did a thread - "result from Cooper tyres"
Well worth an email to BFG & maybe mentioning my experience?

my 6 year old BFG tyres showing a lot of cracks Around the shoulders and around treads, surprised.
DOT code shows made in 50th week of 2013

Thought they would last longer, but vehicle not a daily drive so probably hasn’t helped

View attachment 159193 View attachment 159194 View attachment 159195 View attachment 159196 View attachment 159197 View attachment 159198
I have the same tyres on the rear and both spares dated 2908 and they're not cracking like that. My car lives in Zimbabwe and the previous owner was abroad so spent at least a couple of years sitting around albeit under a cover but outside in the sun.

Andy, I had exactly the same happen to my BFG ATs at approximately 7 years. It gradually got worse and I removed the tyres at age 10 due to heavy cracking around the sidewall joint to the tread and also between the tread blocks to a lesser degree.

Towards the end I was concerned that the tread might delaminate from the carcuss, and was cautious not to run the car with full load at high speed, and also limited max speed.

The driving experience confirmed that the tyre rubber had gone hard, which will have affected the grip level, this wasn’t noticable but would have been a gradual degradation of grip levels. Replacement tyres transformed the ride, much more comfortable.

The set of BFG ATs prior to these lasted longer. In my opinion tyre rubber does not last as long as it used to before degrading. This isn’t a sole trait of BFG, I’ve experienced it on many different makes and types of tyres.

It’s a sign of the times and modern tyre manufacture in my opinion, more often the tyres will require changing due to age related degradation than the tread being worn too low.

In my experience anything over 6 years is good going for a modern tyre.

This is s common trait with caravan tyres when they are stood idle for long periods, as is the case with mine only used twice a year to Scotland and back. I changed them last year due to deep cracking all the way round the shoulder on both tyres. They were barely 10% worn but were fitted in 2009 so have lasted pretty well considering. Over Winter the van is up on stands to take the weight off the suspension/tyres and the wheels shielded from the sun but they still degrade with age. Compared to the new replacements the rubber was noticeably harder with very little flex/pliability in the tread blocks.

A well known and common problem with those BFG AT’s.

Hopefully they’ve resolved it with the KO2’s

Thanks for feedback chaps, I will replaced them
We have also noticed the front tyres squealing a bit on tight turns on tarmac, rarely used to do this
And also traction control and stability control kicked in when reads lost traction on a couple roundabouts recently in wet, i put it down to fuel spills.
But maybe also tyres hardening caused it

Had a good look at my 285/75/16 BFG KOs the other day, beginning to show cracks around the tread blocks at nearly 10 years old. Still plenty of tread left, but decided to get new KO2s on (ATS special on at the moment). I'd checked through the steering as things seemed a bit vague, but with the new ones, wandering, occasional skitter and general feel improved greatly (same pressures). I think that the old ones had hardened up a lot, judging by the clear coat damage on the bonnet and sand in various places, they'd spent a fair time in sunnier climes.

Fitted & balanced my new KO2’s to my Landcruiser alloys today and put back on the hilux. Took it for spin, night and day difference to old tyres, the Hilux felt much firmer and far less wallow on corners. I had been thinking the suspension was was getting soft, it was the tyres

Couple of before pics, no after as pouring with rain
A68C2925-C03C-4519-ADF7-824AA6B191F4.jpeg

9BDA1604-35B9-4E14-A2AC-5CB8A625E008.jpeg

Over this side, a tyre more than 7 years old will be a fail on the test (MOT equivalent) Guess that shows why. Though I have seen older tyres without cracking at all..

Back