Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series gullwings rear windows

Thanks Den, it just got to s point that any info on hinges got put in the melting pot as there are so many to choose from and finding the right one is tricky.

Thanks for the info.

how do your hinges mount did you drill the body?

As part of the kit there was a U channel strip of metal. That is bolted to the body and the hinges slot into that and bolt to the gull wing. It's all sprayed black so it's not noticeable and it works well.

For a road truck I wouldn't do this - as it's not exactly subtle and would show up to much. But on a expo truck and bearing in mind I've got rear swing outs, side awnings, roof tent, roof mounted high lift, etc etc - the U channel gets lost in the clutter...

There is a guy in the states (who does the lower hatch storage area) who was developing a glass gull wing... which last time I looked I thought looked very neat - BUT boy was it expensive..

His lower hatch storage modification was excellent... came with all the templates and nothing missing and full instructions.. so I would expect (hope) his gull wings would be of similar quality. However a glass gull wing I would NOT want - plus I have my own reservations on hinges mounted on/through glass or on a frame etc. Last time I spoke to him he said it would not be a problem to produce an ally version... but he was still in the development stages anyway.

BUT the whole idea behind his gull wings was to get access to the rear load area without faffing around with the upper and lower hatches... and look OME factory fit. I didn't need or want any of that - I need rugged secure side storage areas and no access to the rear load area.

The ones that are being developed here look a damn sight smarter and neater than the SA ones that I have fitted.. plus they will be cheaper.

Pretty much what I have in mind, but I'd like to make a small hook on table so that I can serve drinks and canapés etc. What what.

They do look very nice and are a nice design. The only bit I don't get is all the nuts around the frame. They have had a lot of work put into them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They do look very nice and are a nice design. The only bit I don't get is all the nuts around the frame. They have had a lot of work put into them.

Not sure really - might have something to do with ensuring that the frame doesn't flex at all - after all it's a glass panel that is being used. Having installed one of his tail gate storage units already - they are very very well engineered.

The states 'value' the LC series as a prime player in the 4x4 world - and they still hold their second hand value - so they are comfortable in investing and get a good return on modifications... in the UK as we know - we spend just as much but never see the return and everybody wants a tarted up landrover... ho-hummm but let's not go there...

Last edited:
Ok, time for a progress report. The prototype you all saw at the AO Show is now out of the truck and at the engineering works having a welding jig made up. Looks like a costly item so I might not get my doors just yet [emoji20]. Still, with 5 pairs now on order the cost shared between is not too bad and it is now viable. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji122]

Door frame infills and brackets are now made [emoji3] frame and door punchings are likely to be beginning of November. [emoji20] the sheet metal company are inundated. Can't find anyone to do it quicker. It should tie in with the welding jig.

I was hoping for some better news.

Door frame infills and brackets are now made [emoji3] frame and door punchings are likely to be beginning of November. [emoji20] the sheet metal company are inundated. Can't find anyone to do it quicker. It should tie in with the welding jig.

I was hoping for some better news.
I've now got the money to spare as Julian V has repaired my rear bumper so I don't need to buy a replacement just yet.

happy-102.gif
happy-102.gif
happy-102.gif

Minuscule Chas, had hoped to be much further on by now but sheet metal shop are short staffed and snowed under. They are telling me this coming Monday but I've heard it before.

The good news is the gas strut brackets are all done, the top hinge rails are all done and I will be designing the welding jig over the weekend so hopefully things will happen this coming week.

Sorry guys I am at the mercy of others I'm afraid and not much I can do to improve the situation as a lot of people are busy now. [emoji20]

Hot news folks…just had a phone call…the gullwings are being punched today so I should get them next week.

[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Small update, they are punched and ready for me to collect.
[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Welding jig is in the design stage and will be the next hurdle. I just need time with brain plugged in to be able to go through the drawings and get everything important noted for the jig to be made.

Last edited:
At last,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448539751.503092.jpg

Don't get too excited now as I've got to get a welding jig made, but at least I've got the bits to do it. [emoji4]

Last edited:
Nurse ! I need my pills-NOW

Back