Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A bit quiet on here

Don't recall, were you one of the guys who got the early warning of the mass exodus from TLOCUK or was it the same effect as here? :p

"Hey? Where'd everyone go...."

Love it!

Im getting the hang of it here now so all good.

Weird that you did not get the email. I found a setting to slow the email sending down which was not set when I sent the first one. The mail server might have been pissed at me for sending so many (including all the dodgy ones from the old ELCO import)

No worries, found my way pretty quick!! :cool: Thanks for the hard hours put in

Cheers Crispin. Gotcha. I think that it's alike anything new, you need a little while to just click all the settings and get things feeling comfy again. Many of the views and things do seem customisable. It's just taking me a while to find my way around. Have noticed that other than getting an e-mail, there doesn't seem to be a flag telling me that there is a PM waiting? Not the thread for this I know - so no need to respond here.

C

Maybe, like me they are having trouble navigating this new site. I've just found another quirk, when clicking on a new post it sometimes goes to the new post, but sometimes it goes to the top of the page that that new post is at the bottom of, if that makes sense.

Im struggling a little. :oops:

I dont think its anywhere near as easy to use as the old forum.

Im sure once Crispin has finished adjusting things, and im used to it will be great. :eusa-pray:

Crispin. did you receive my PM? :)

Last edited:
cant get half the smiley's to appear either! :-(

they appear fine when i type, but not when i click submit. :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is the same software another forum I use uses. It takes a while to get used to as there is alot more going on than on the old forum software. Once you've been using it for a few weeks its like its always been like this.

cant get half the smiley's to appear either! :-(

they appear fine when i type, but not when i click submit. :(

I did get PM Ben. Will reply shortly.

Will check on the smile things.

Easy Peasy, thanks for all the behind the scenes hard work... Only problem I found is that I could not remember my password... why-o-why do we have so many passwords and then can't remember the ones you use the most when you need it...

I must be up there with the most "password reset" request boys...

Is it just me or does this one seem a bit faster too?

Crispin, I still think we can make it easier for people to reset the password by putting up clear instructions on the new forum. Log off both forums and go to the old one and pretend you have not read the email. You will click on the link to the new forum in the banner at the top but what do you do when you get here? There is a small message linking you to FAQ and register, neither answer the question how to log into the new forum. If it was clearer then maybe more would come over onto the new site.

I'm quiete happy with this new site as long as it doesn't make my 80 gearbox changes worse, the big ends to go,or the A/C to pack up. Funny how these new computery things can have unforseen consequences.

Frank

I always had trouble remembering my passwords, but if you use Norton 360 it has a very useful function that remembers all your different passwords and enters them automatically when you visit a site that needs a password. All you need to remember is the one password needed to activate the Norton function which it asks you for when you visit the first one that needs a password.
Chas

Easy Peasy, thanks for all the behind the scenes hard work... Only problem I found is that I could not remember my password. why-o-why do we have so many passwords and then can't remember the ones you use the most when you need it...

I must be up there with the most "password reset" request boys...

Is it just me or does this one seem a bit faster too?

Unfortunately that is a large problem Chris and what Rob was talking about another thread somewhere.
There is a way it can be done but it's not my strong point. I had a couple of stabs at it today and this evening but it's a slow process as I am learning as I go. If it is done correctly it will seamlessly direct people to the same thread on the new forum.

If anyone here is any good with mod_rewrite then please put up your hand.
If mod_rewrite means nothing to you then keep walking.... :)

mod_rewrite probably isn't the whole answer, it probably needs to redirect to a php script that query's for the matching thread? Did the importer put anything in the database relating to the original thread id for a direct lookup or is it going to be a case of searching on the thread title? I've done it before but it was a long time ago so I can't remember.

In the mean time, how about just redirecting anything below the old forum url to a regular html holding page that explains what's happened with a link to this forum to click at the end? That would catch any old forum reference until something cleverer was put in place?

That's what I thought to begin with, but things are becoming a little bit clearer, given time I may get to like it, but I'm not holding my breath.

dont like this one bit go back to old way

Don't hold your breath, Chas - we'd miss you too much :D

I guess there's some lessons learned here - the old site was creaking at the seams, and we're not that big a platform really - this has a long way to go, so we can all help by being a bit more positive (change is GOOD, right?) and spreading the word to those we'd be in regular contact with that we know are not active here yet, and might be wondering 'WTF - where has everyone gone, and why are the lights off??'

sorry guys im a welder thats into cruisers this is not my thing i just dont understand what was wrong with the old system -i will try again when i get time

Don't worry Pete, we're in the same boat only not as good at welding as you are..

Once we get everything all lined up and shaken down, you'll be fine. Pop back in a bit when we've pushed all the buttons and figured out what they all do.

Chris

(change is GOOD, right?)
Not necessarily, I’m reminded of an old proverb, ‘Progress is not always for the best, smoke signals never got an Indian out of bed at 3am’

mod_rewrite probably isn't the whole answer, it probably needs to redirect to a php script that query's for the matching thread? Did the importer put anything in the database relating to the original thread id for a direct lookup or is it going to be a case of searching on the thread title? I've done it before but it was a long time ago so I can't remember.

In the mean time, how about just redirecting anything below the old forum url to a regular html holding page that explains what's happened with a link to this forum to click at the end? That would catch any old forum reference until something cleverer was put in place?

Jon,

there is an id in the new linking back to the old so that is all good. One hassle is the need for SEO urls for the new threads. Weirdly I could not find a column anywhere with the url stored which makes it a pain. I did find that there is a vB API which will translate a new postid to a SEO url. You can then bounce it to that.
That would be firat prize using mod rewrite because the nothing changes.

I have a quietday at work tomorrow so might play some more.
I'll stick a redirect up tomorrow as well. Better thank my banner

Back