Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Adventuring Northern Cyprus to Romania Trip

I admire your outlook and resolve Dervis. Really gutted for you to not be able to cross the border. I know it can be difficult with the way things are in northern Cyprus.
You are on an adventure and seem to be treating it as such. Hats off to you Dervis for making the best out of a bad situation.
Turkey looks far nicer than I ever imagined. Enjoy the ride and see where it takes you. :thumbup:

With my coffee made and 1.30pm set of towards Izmir and along the way saw a hitch hiker so I gracefully slowed down and asked where he was going. Speaking very little English but Russian I understood he was going in the same direction and so we now both set off.

Having nothing set as a plan I decided to take the wind as it blows and I wanted to stop over along the way at a camp site if possible. Having tried out one to no avail I found a series of campsites along the costal line down the steep mountain of 300m. Driving along and having discussed my idea with Oleg he was happy and in no rush in his travels here having traveled from Russia through Georgia to eastern Turkey right along the Black Sea towards Çanakkale where I picked him up. He set off on the 13th July from Russian town Armavir and traveled with no more than a back pack for his tent and belongings. That’s some traveling I gotta say lol.

So having ventured now together I found a camp site that seemed appealing called Kamp Olive and now set up camp in what was a busy season and luckily found a suitable spot to set up.

Oleg set his little floor tent up nearby shielding himself from the strong breeze here and now we where both set for the day and night.

View attachment 148264 View attachment 148268 View attachment 148269 View attachment 148270
Bloody hell have you seen the size of that Russian guys feet Dervis , I wouldn't trust a guy with feet that big in relation to his body size if I were you Dervis , get shut as soon as , if I were you Dervis lol .

I admire your outlook and resolve Dervis. Really gutted for you to not be able to cross the border. I know it can be difficult with the way things are in northern Cyprus.
You are on an adventure and seem to be treating it as such. Hats off to you Dervis for making the best out of a bad situation.
Turkey looks far nicer than I ever imagined. Enjoy the ride and see where it takes you. :thumbup:

Thank you Richard as is life and getting older you learn to adapt and look on the bright side of things. Yes Turkey is a beautiful place with many regions and beautiful locations to visit and travel through. I’ve touched a fraction of it this time around and thankful to have done so with the 80 and the overlanding setup I have loved building for the last 6 months. Now with the experience I feel empowered and knowledgeable as was simply a novice before lol.

Hey Dervis, glad you’ve found a traveling companion, talking to yourself can be a bit daunting, especially when you start an argument :lol:

I like the idea of a “free Cyprus” sticker, and the concept of pulling it off (the unification of Cyprus that is, not removing the sticker... :doh:)

Not wanting this to turn too political, but Turkey itself is going through a very dangerous period IMO with its current politics. It’s a big threat to the freedom of Turkish individuals, and it wouldn’t surprise me if I get a personal black mark for saying so on a public forum, that’s how bad it’s getting.

Enjoy your adventure Dervis, maybe we can meet up sometime in Turkey, if my semi-retirement plans come off next year.

A little convoy of 80s with Byron sounds very appealing.... :icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
DAY 9

Guys set off after morning packing up with Oleg and ventured along the coastline. Due to stop start traffic lights decided to divert off the main highway 45 mins later to get the vehicle washed. Dust, dirt and grime had built up and it was time for a refresh for the 80 having served so well since leaving Cyprus.

A62594B0-2EB3-4F31-AD0C-06884C4975A8.png B0DBB3CD-EB85-40EE-82F6-1793AF7E0979.jpeg

Soon after joined the highway again and set of for another 140km and around 5pm went into center of town with Oleg and shopped for some groceries to made food.

Soon after I called it a day for driving and the evening closing in I decided to find a suitable spot to camp up. Oleg had plans to be in Izmir as his arrangements of house sharing came in and so we said good bye for now leaving him by the highway as I ventured to a quite spot near the coastal port area I found on Google maps.

The spot is quite with a pebble beach and the surrounds forestry just perfect with a great breeze to cool me down as driving south it’s hotter than the north lol :cool:

99B63E2A-8F4B-452B-83E2-09F66068DE95.png EEE0CA7B-A724-473C-90AC-8AEA0AB1FA40.jpeg 0CFDDACA-888C-4405-9B94-8C8D4E437C44.jpeg CEBA7096-A768-434F-9D21-129577D55762.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a nice spot there Dervis, I approve. :)

Yeh! your right, that's the right attitude. Its good to have a companion also, Stops you talking to your self. Enjoy the rest of your journey.:)
Id just like to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with talking to yourself..:icon-confused:..

good to see your cracking on after that kick in the stomach dervis.
thats the spirit fella!:thumbup:

DAY 10

Guys after much talking to myself last night lol
Woke up and laid in bed thinking to take it easy today. A few days ago called the ferry service and asked and paid to change the return leg home currently on 27th August with the hope of a cancellation in the midst of Bayrum holidays here Arr. Not the best timing but what can you do right!!

As I was packing up after making my routine bulletproof coffee I noticed an unusual plastic folder nearside in the rear cargo area behind my plastic box containers. I’m looking at what it was I was taken back to discover it was Oleg’s passport!!

Oh my what a complete shock and surprise. Thankfully we had exchanged Facebook details and so I immediately forwarded him the pictures and hoped he had WiFi internet to notice being that he said he was an hour away in Izmir to where I’d plan to go by today.

In the luck of the draw he messaged not long after relieved and in shock and then it was my mission to find each other and give him what was a critical situation.

Driving an hour we found each other and then it was all good. For then he wanted to tag along so it seemed the big Russian was not getting away that easy lol

So after that I decided to drive down the coastal route and find a camp place in Kuşadası. With time getting on and driving in and out of the main town we found a nice quite location the council run here for 10TL so that was great news before 7pm.

So the bottom line guys is that the crazy Russians with me for another day lol

BAB3E996-EEF2-4304-8B8E-3E413D0EA969.png AA170627-5355-4C87-ACE9-2EDA1941D2F6.jpeg 5C5108E6-C571-4F80-B6E8-64AF10EB5A55.jpeg F7B83773-22BA-4D6E-BCC7-7B8DA5608874.jpeg

I bet the big Russian has a word or two with himself after a couple of vodkas of an evening..
even when im not talking to myself im talking to myself in our house...

I bet the big Russian has a word or two with himself after a couple of vodkas of an evening..
even when im not talking to myself im talking to myself in our house...

Trust me Mike I had a few words for him.
But at 24 years not sure if it’s gonna make any difference lol :lol:

Looks like you were meant to have a travelling companion Dervis. Interesting how this is panning out. :)

Looks like you were meant to have a travelling companion Dervis. Interesting how this is panning out. :)

That’s what I thought too Richard bizarrely tbh. Tommorrow were going out separate ways as he has a place to stay. It’s been a little harder having to find a camping spot that suits normal ground tents as I generally more flexible with my setup having camped in all places.

Thanks

DAY 11

Official start of the holidays here guys being Bayrum. Don’t ask what it’s all about because I’m not in tune with their festive beliefs lol.

Anyways last night setting up was good but around 9pm the security came to see us because unknown to us floor tents were not allowed in their rule book. This place was classed as a picnic area governed by the council. So in the event of it being late and trying to save Russian boy again I managed to charm them in allowing him to stay with the tent with only him putting it up after 12 midnight. A small compromise but not much choice.
Russian boy disappeared looking for WiFi and I around 10.30pm called it a night.

In the morning packed all things used my solar shower I had that came in handy in locations hard to shower and wash up from.

Whilst getting my coffee on Russian boy woke up and started his day. Kinda weird having Russian boy around but felt it was be the last today for sure.

Soon after around 11am Russian boy Oleg told me his going and we both said our byes. I had a plan to drive to Marmaris and then I set of.

8CE33966-B5A8-4AC7-94AF-B2BF9DB2861B.jpeg

Back