Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Adventuring Northern Cyprus to Romania Trip

Soon after driving I entered a toll road again and like before just drove through not having a toll road device to pay wouldn’t be sure what will happen.

On route soon after I notice a car had pulled over having broken down. I pulled over not being in a any rush and offered to lend a hand. Unfortunately my mechanical skills where not helpful for their issue needed a diagnostic computer plugged in to access the issue. Modern cars I know been stuck in the past with the 80 lol

I asked what their story was traveling today and where they were going and funny enough they said camping at this lake some few hours away. They had been traveling from Istanbul being 10 hours drive already. I thought wow that’s some place your trying to get to haha.

I offered to take them if once the recovery car came to take the car. Unfortunately their circumstances didn’t fit and it looked like they would have to give it a miss.

So in light of this some minutes later settling back off along the highway I looked the place up on google maps. Having found it a new course was set and away the 80 and I went.

Driving along nearing the place had to drive on some rough terrain where they were making new roads and with some mountains again the Transmission warning light came on again so decided to stop and make a bite to eat.
With another hours driving was getting late and I had a ETA around 7pm pretty late for me usually but I wasn’t worried knowing I would find a suitable spot to camp out in.

8F417079-7117-4303-942B-AC1E3B0458F6.png 22C8606E-C9CA-44CA-B9AF-91B3F2669409.png

Arriving at the place a guy greeted me at the entrance and so 5TL was the price per day here. For that theirs packing, toilets and stores to buy things and restaurants.

The nicest thing was that’s over 1300m it was cool here and better than 40c in the south to what I would have been again.

E08BA1E7-715E-4EE0-B4E0-84BA0D04ACA9.jpeg 446790BB-2FF7-403B-83D1-A3F94BA8CC34.jpeg D39CAB1D-62DD-4778-8822-66A811D6E49D.jpeg 385065B3-F8B3-483E-B74C-D5D2A8948E25.jpeg

Apparently guys no camping was allowed with floor tents but I did notice some setting up right near the seaside are after a 10 min stroll along the beach area. On the way back just casually strolling in no particular way toward the car I stumbled as beneath my feet was a surprise to see 5TL turn up. Haha I thought that’s the entry money lol

Not feeling it to camp in the parking lot I ventured nearby to where I found a spot that would be perfect for the night.
With the sound of the water that’s a wonderful feeling to sleep under.

65BCA973-0AD1-4C3E-93DB-EBB4BE26C77C.jpeg

"Soon after driving I entered a toll road again and like before just drove through not having a toll road device to pay wouldn’t be sure what will happen."

If its anything like when we drove to norway, about a month after you get home a steady trickle of payment requests will drop onto your door mat..
"That must be the last one". You will tell yourself, but no, more will follow..

That's Karma Dervis... I love the fact that there are very few people in nearly all your photos.. Imagine Skegness on a Hot summers day.... 'HELL'

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It looks you are still managing to have a great time Dervis - how is the LC behaving now you have learned new techniques off road and now the terrain seems a good bit flatter?

Learned it’s capabilities more so with the gearbox Geoff with its limitations being tested on the continuous hills and mountains so for these trips needs an addictional cooler added for next time. An issue with the solinodes so had to manual switch the tanks over but now running on the main only.
The vehicle had been great tbh no issues just a little underpowered on the hills and mountains so need to upgrade the turbo too of which this is on the list anyway.
Worked out economy for the travels currently running at 14/100km being 20mpg with the current weight, drag and setup. Not bad I guess for what it is.

If I can get a return back sooner that the 27th then I’d be happy to get back as I kinda didn’t plan on being in Turkey for this long camping but making the best of it for sure.

Thanks

DAY 12

Guys today decided for the first time to not drive too far and stay in this region being that it’s cooler and I’m not too far now to getting the ferry back by the 27th or before.

So in light of this and there being many camping places to chose and camp at. I decided that the council beach would be a good choice to try with the location only a few km away on the nearside of the lake. At 3TL I couldn’t ask for more lol

Being busy and arriving around 12.30pm after driving to get some unleaded for the Coleman stove I ventured in and hundreds of cars being there was taking some time driving around to get a good spot to wanna setup on.

With the luck of the draw a small space was
available next to a temporary truck collecting the trash. Trying to figure out how to set up took some time as the floor wasn’t even and then luck would have it the vehicle nearside was leaving so perfect timing. Taking there space and spinning the car around was the best solution to setup the awning. Now in a great spot I can relax with restaurant and all facilities nearby if need be and a great central view of the beach and surrounding areas.

Thank you

8FE3AF09-D503-4021-B1E6-0A281D981C0A.png 977A0923-CF5F-4958-88AA-CA6839CF0847.jpeg D1140AB0-573A-4B04-A2D4-3D327A7529D3.jpeg E22E0A8F-3FFC-41F6-95CE-C2AD1BFB0CBE.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a good spot there Dervis. Time to relax and unwind with no Russian about.

:icon-wink:

Looks like a good spot there Dervis. Time to relax and unwind with no Russian about.

:icon-wink:

Haha wondered Richard what that weight was on my shoulders lol

With the big Russian gone all is looking up ......back to talking to myself!!

Today’s the first day having not packed up to drive for hours so surprisingly feeling relaxed now. Funny being on the road really haven’t been eating well and so today it’s been a full on deal wih eating everything lol

There really is so many great spots to camp and thankful to have the opportunities made easy.

You’re really selling Turkey as an off road camping destination Dervis.

At least when you talk to yourself it’s in your own language. :lol:

DAY 13

Stayed at Selda lake last night and being the festive holidays was very busy with locals and a lot of people traveling from afar.

Sadly the locals here don’t like rules and even with the signs saying no tents beyond this point very few listen. So yesterday and today the council and police have been trying to get the hundreds of tents to move but with little to no success lol

The locals didn’t budge and so I with a change of heart decided to pack up at 6pm being very late in the evening to make a decision like that and felt I should drive to the next lake kinda on the way to Antayla being named Burdur to where I was going’s anyway.

25A57D28-3F1E-41DD-B21B-F00F49353A90.jpeg CBA1E2A4-DBF5-4963-987A-73E2B069416F.jpeg B36F9A09-4371-4671-8A61-6CA6314BE525.png

Last edited:
Upon arriving and clearing trying to find a suitable quite spot near the lake this was kinda hard as they were closed off mostly for vehicles and so having looked at google maps found a what seemed like a camp spot near by up the mountain.

With little to lose ventures up and being dark not the best way tbh but dirt roads and being narrow was tricky. Driving up the road got worse kinda didn’t feel things were right tbh but couldn’t turn back being on the ridge like that!!
Then things got even more worse as the road really was unstable off roading to which I wasn’t amused to wanna be driving up. So carefully going up 2.4km with 1km being rough terrain I managed to settle on the top must have missed the camp site or got it wrong but was kinda late to be figureing it out lol

So in light of this with great views I parked the vehicle up to what was a flat surface but kinda was uncomfortable being all slopes on the 3 sides of the vehicle so moved it back to a spot that I knew I was safe.

Funny being alone your tested in many aspects. Even with what seems safe and the handbrake in with a large rock bolder on the rear wheel wasn’t enough lol

Woke up to a beautiful view and wondered what the fuss was about in the morning haha.

I was dreading going back down thet horrible broken mud road but somehow unknowing driving down didn’t find it and so much of taken a side road of some sort Haha.

Was greatful driving down town low range missing that.

Weird how things turn out right.

A9071DBE-244B-4FD4-800D-5CA357266F1D.png 5556C027-CD4C-4452-BE0C-A237B1064FF1.jpeg A109B4AD-19BE-49D1-9E77-98C72487C377.jpeg A30617D9-A6C3-4612-94CC-1BE006967ED0.jpeg BE51A21C-47B0-4EC7-8DEE-2B00418A1ECD.jpeg

Another cracking spot there Dervis. Paved too! Just the ticket. Well found. :thumbup:

DAY 14

Morning routine out the way admiring the views a some of 3 hours drive to a place I had stayed before next to Side beach in
Manavgat not far on the other side Antayla. Arriving at the camp site I stayed in before they were full and so like decided to camp right next to that on the public council run beach area. Free and easy lol

There were a few tents up already and more that arrived and felt right at home and thankful it was that easy.

C8386831-9A10-44A3-A9FD-F40DD212F0A3.png 1FC4204A-EB0A-47DD-ACAB-BAC217B4BF56.jpeg 09E75360-0BFB-447F-BCD8-D0237C01B3B3.jpeg

DAY 15

Fully rested today plan was to get one step closer along the coast and so deceded to drive this afternoon to Dragon camp to where I stayed before. 30TL a day and space available was just the ticket.

On the way show some camels on the road side being all touristy in these parts.

I’ve decided stay two nights here before the 2 hour drive to Tasucu ferry terminal on the 27th to better relax and enjoy the last moments on this adventurous tour.

DEA88DE0-A9C9-4D2E-A3F6-6CB4D5B76E33.png D582AAD8-18A5-44DB-9E0B-988995AF4FF3.jpeg

Nice flat spot there Dervis with that paving - is that why you struggled on the hills earlier lugging also those pavings bricks? LOL! Looks like you are having a great time advertising Turkey.

Hope you get home without mishap buddy.

Back