Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AHC Accumulator Bleed

100-2000

Hi,
Just in the process of changing my AHC fluid.
The original stuff that came out has settled out but it came out looking emusified, and also a lot of it looked as if the fluid coming out was runny foam.
Anyhow, the nipple on the accumulator sheared off so I can't bleed it.
Does any know if this is an essential bleed point, or does the AHC fluid eventually do a circuit of the system and so replace the fluid in the accumulator??
If it is essential has anyone got an idea on how to replace the sheared off nipple. - it sheared of flush with the end plate, leaving the threaded bit inside the accumulator.

OK! I've just been out in the LC and got some new problems...
1. The OFF light flashes on the dash board
2. The high and low selections no longer operate
3. The ride is very bumpy and the front of the LC appears to be sitting very high when I've stopped.
Definitive diagnosis desperately desired ?
Any thoughts and advice welcome...

Maybe you still have air in the system and you still need to bleed some more. You could talk to Martin at Pleiades he must have done quite a few now.

Sounds like it could be a faulty sensor. Take them off for checking. You could measure them in place, but not certain you would find the fault that way.

The accumulator needs bleeding, but it wouldn't affect the problems you mention in your 1-2-3 points. Suggest you fix the other problems first. When you have the up-down action working, you will be able to flush out any filings from the nipple removal by pumping up some pressure. Will be a messy job though.

Bumpy ride can come from busted spheres, but also from a faulty height sensor tricking the system into adjusting to the wrong height. Busted spheres will in any case not affect the height adjustment - i.e: The AHC would still work perfectly - only the ride would suffer from lack of suspension and damping.

Another issue is the state of your steel springs. At this age, you will certainly need to change the rear coils and adjust the torsion bars. You need to have your neutral pressure checked, when you have the system working again.

Did you consider changing to conventional suspension? - in case you don't want to fiddle with this system, or don't care about the comfort level.

100-2000 said:
Hi,
Just in the process of changing my AHC fluid.
The original stuff that came out has settled out but it came out looking emusified, and also a lot of it looked as if the fluid coming out was runny foam.
Anyhow, the nipple on the accumulator sheared off so I can't bleed it.
Does any know if this is an essential bleed point, or does the AHC fluid eventually do a circuit of the system and so replace the fluid in the accumulator??
If it is essential has anyone got an idea on how to replace the sheared off nipple. - it sheared of flush with the end plate, leaving the threaded bit inside the accumulator.

OK! I've just been out in the LC and got some new problems...
1. The OFF light flashes on the dash board
2. The high and low selections no longer operate
3. The ride is very bumpy and the front of the LC appears to be sitting very high when I've stopped.
Definitive diagnosis desperately desired ?
Any thoughts and advice welcome...

How close are you to Sawtry, Peterbourough?

John

Thanks for replies.

I am replaceing the height sensors right now (phew... what a price), and thats about all i can do just now money wise. :violin:
I am hoping that the rubber fluid/gas reservoirs are ok, I know they are old but if they are at fault then their repair will have to wait.

I'll try the nipple on the accumulator with a small chisel or something, again at a future date, I have the Ep.T026 manual and that shows how to get the accumulator off.

I'll post again once I've got the sensors done.

I'm about 464.9 miles from Peterborough, though I did work there once, we used to be called "bombers" !! ;)

The height sensors can often be repaired. Can be just a bit of corrosion on one of the three contact springs between plug and lid. Fix that, and seal the sensor better, and be OK for another 5 years.
Sometimes it is the linkage which is stuck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks for that uHu, I have looked at the rear springs and they look sort of recent as they don't show the same amount of corrosion as elsewhere.

100-2000 said:
thanks for that uHu, I have looked at the rear springs and they look sort of recent as they don't show the same amount of corrosion as elsewhere.
Rear springs?
I did mean the three small contact-springs inside each height sensor :?:
They are often the source of sensor malfunction, because of an ingress of humidity.

Hey uHu, my mistake.
I was refering to your first answer to me where you mentioned the rear coils and the torsion bar.

You are right about the contact springs and I'll check them out.

Final post from me on this...

3 x height controllers replaced and LC going fine. The original bits were corroded beyond any sort of recovery. (12 years old and not looked after!).

FYI - 5 miles driving after replaceing the height controllers and a coil pack burnt out on me!!! fortunately I had an old spare one at home.

Sorry - but the story continues...

I took off my spheres only to find that one of them had ruptured. I contacted Pleides and ordered 4 new spheres, very straight forward to fit, I also renewed the oil as well. Thanks Pleides
LC is now almost back to brand new - just need to check the rear springs again and possibly the torsion bar!!

I think I'll put the 3 old but non ruptured spheres on that online auction bay and see if they are any use to anyone - might keep one as a spare.

This has cost me a small fortune and I expect the LC to run for years and eons now ...

Back