Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another land cruiser to my collection.

Ok, started to peel everything back, got underneath to empty the rad and I noticed watery oil all over the sump and down the gearbox, it was dark by the time I finished but it looks like its coming from an item at the front, guessing the water pump. Any thoughts? Could it be the water pump instead of the head gasket? Would that cause water and oil to go everywhere?

A5ED21E3-13EB-4965-BB98-91F138F713C6-4819-000001AC1F6329CF.jpg

09DC2D49-FB1A-46D2-8FD6-6F8433A78771-4819-000001AB573B51AD.jpg

Photos by torch light!

Advice? I am new to this. Pump sounds better than head gasket?

The oil leak is probably the front c/shaft oil seal. A defective water pump could be failing to pump water around the engine, so it may be worth removing to have a look but don't hold your breath.

Roger

Water pump could have failed causing the truck to get hot. Could well have done the head due to that. Best to have the head checked and pressure tested and skimmed before re fit.

Even if the water pump isnt faulty, Id fit a new one, new front crank shaft oil seal (genuine, NOT milners) and new cambelt and tensioner when you re-build everything. For the cost involved I think its worth it for peace of mind. :icon-wink:

I think the head gasket has gone, or the head is cracked. Or both. :think:

I dont think water would shoot out of the rad in the way you described if it was just a faulty pump.

I think if it was me id remove the head and get it pressure tested, and if theres no cracks, get it skimmed.
Id then re-build it using a genuine head gasket, and the parts i mentioned above. :icon-smile:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The radiator looks pretty tidy and would say leak free, the water that came out smelt clean and was clear. I am tempted to put the injector feeds back on and start the engine again to see what is actually going on. I would say that the water is coming from the pump area, as I dont know how the pump works, I have no idea about the oil and where its coming from, I will look closer tomorrow in the light. I thought I would post my findings incase someone pops up and says the pump is a common problem and is the answer to all the findings. Only symptoms I have are when its starts you can hear water being pushed out, do these pumps create much pressure? if the pump gasket has gone could it simulate a blown head gasket pressuring the system? is there any oil circulation through the water pump?

just thinking aloud.

Last edited:
The problem is Jonnie. Yes the fump could have given up.when it does though it wont cool the engine and thats when you get the shot head and head gasket.The 3L is a common engine for head issues.

I think you could have it back on the road by the weekend mate as long as the head isnt cracked.:thumbup:

Ok, I grabbed an hour this evening, I have put a few bits back on to start it. Yep, there is a hole in the rad and when it started the water started to foam out of the top. The oil over the engine appears to be years of oil leaking from the rocker cover. Going to track down a radiator and get a gasket and heavy duty head gasket kit and take it from there. As someone mentioned before is there any difference between the 1KZ-TE and the 1kz-t when it comes to gaskets?

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=980&vid=721

is the first link I found.

Let me know if you find a radiator Johnie. :icon-biggrin:

The only place I can find is Mr T. :x

With the discount from Simon a radiator is £384.60. Thats if you give them your old rad, otherwise the price is £50 more. :shock:

Ive been unable to find anywhere else selling them and ive spent hours searching the net.

Im planning on having one custom built, probably out of aluminium. :icon-cool:

Looks like your rad is the same as mine with the metal end tanks which means you should be able to get it re-cored which will be a lot cheaper than a new rad.

Ok 2hrs this morning and the head is off.
Bores an pistons look fine

89A1B214-AFD8-4977-898B-3116DF0FFF39-784-000000816F66CD65.jpg

Went and looked at the head and initially everything looked ok until I wiped off some of the carbon

0B4161D3-CD8F-4AB7-8838-8DADBCA21425-784-0000008150EF0F8E.jpg

Found 3 that were obvious

89954573-B720-4AE4-B684-BB023A97AB5B-784-000000815B9BF50B.jpg

I am assuming that this is now junk?

Anyone recommend somewhere to buy a new head from? Is there any value in this one? Seen a few on eBay.

By the time I have done this I will be 1k into the truck. Still feels like its worth it especially as winter in on its way.

I've heard horror heads from a few people from milners. I don't think Milner do them now for that reason.

The engine guys I deal with don't sell sxxt. I will have a word with them on Monday mate. I'd hold fire personally.

Back