Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another land cruiser to my collection.

The chap I deal with who is straight talking and a sound bloke was off. He's back in on Monday. I would have thought they would have been complete. I do know that other places sell them as a bare head though

My buddy has just had to replace a cylinder head on a lwb Shogun, he bought one from here:

www.cylinderheads.co.uk

It seemed very well made (in Manchester!) and he has had no issues with it since fitting.

Roughtrax seems a reasonable alternative also.

With the money the KZJ70's are making, a £1,000 investment is still cheap.

Regards

Pete

Well its now home, Dave did a sterling job of towing me the 7 miles at great speed only 3 foot from his bumper. You soon realise how big an 80 series is when that close as I could see nothing of the road ahead.

Hell yeah, did that to with my bj73.

Ok, I got a new block from www.cylinderheads.co.uk.

Still a chinese copy but they check the engine and that its to the correct tolerances, then offer a 1year unlimited milage warranty. Fitted it today, not started it as I want to change the oil before I do. In the picture below, just behind the p/s reservoir on the inlet manifold there is some electrics with some vacuum pipes. As you can see I have one from a white cylinder that seems to go nowhere but does seem to have snapped off something in the past. Can someone look to see where its supposed to go.
Cheers

0A127EBC-9B2E-4758-926D-C2AD5442C592-4140-000001C2BA767F34.jpg

Hi Jonnie,

Pics arnt great as its a bit dark outside.

P1000049.jpg

P1000050.jpg

P1000051.jpg

P1000052.jpg

P1000053.jpg

Hope that helps. :icon-wink:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So looking at my pics the hose that your not sure where goes, should go to a 3 way connector. :think:

Regarding your rad, with it having a brass top and bottom you should be able to get it re-cored. Last one I had done was about £200. :icon-wink:

Thanks Ben, found the missing location! It all works, have a weeping injector which is not easy to get to so going to have to strip a few bits off again which is annoying!

Still trying to find a radiator, else going to have to have this one re-cored. Going to post in the wanted section

Hens teeth and rocking horse poo spring to mind. They are virtually impossible to find and if you do there is no guarantee its any better than your existing one as itll be 20 odd years old.

Getting yours re-cored is going to to be the best option imho.

yep, beginning to realise this. Will sort it monday, I am carless until its done unless i can drive with no bonnet on. I have a rad in that is 3" to tall

another quick question, as I have to re-tighten a couple of injectors does anyone know if there are supposed to be any copper washers or anything between the injector and the head? When I moved them over to the new head there was nothing. Is this correct?

Cheers in advance

Yes there should be copper washer and gaskets like these .

If you speak nicely to Ben he might be able to give you copies of the factory service manuals. ;)

Nope no washers! just taken an injector out and there is no copper there. Why i did not question it originally was the fact that with the new head I got some alu injector inserts that went into the head first, I thought that this was enough but obviously not. Now I need to find some correct copper washers. Any suggestions?

I got some washers from my local garage and its all back together and running, I am attempting to radweld the radiator for a temp fix until my new one from Malaysia arrives. I took it for a spin to get it up to temp and everything sounds great but there seems to be no power after 2.5/3k rpm. I tried to push it past that and it stalled.. A couple of turns over and it fired up again. It makes me think its diesel related. As other times it starts on the first turn. I also still have a couple of spare electrical plugs coming off the same loom point that ben helped me with the other day. I would ask you ben but you seem like you may have your hands full! One goes to a sensor under the inlet manifold in the block, the other to a turbo unit that has a vacuum pipe going to it underneath and then two that seem to go no where.

Tomorrow will see if the rad has leaked more, front grill and then back on the no power issue. Oh and I have to go to work :(

When you fit the replacement rad, put in a new stat as well, the old one will have a coating of radweld now.

Radiator appeared today from the other side of the world.

9C5C7EA0-4FC9-4312-A0C5-E77D78FD8AE5-11166-000004D25021BFB4.jpg

the image makes it look damaged but I think its just the reflections.

I have also sorted out the running issue which turned out to be either air being pulled into the pump or the fuel line was to small. Anyway I changed all the piping and it runs and starts fine with power where expected.

Now for the bad bit, foolishly whilst waiting for the rad I thought i would inspect what is going on under the plastic wheel arches... and BOOM :-

55396350-8CCA-412D-8284-A4093E0BBC61-11166-000004D26D9EF613.jpg

UTTER CARNAGE - I think i am going off land cruisers.

I have decided to use this as a practice for doing what is now only a minor repair on the HJ61. I was just going to plate it all up and take what comes but if I can source some aftermarket wings then I will probably have a go at what Ben did. I also need to drop the tank, the filler was so packed up with years of mud that once I cleaned it off my screw driver had penetrated the main filler pipe and all the others just fell off. What have I started? I only wanted this as a winter run around and as usual I have jumped in and made myself my ermmmm
project no...
aluminium build project -1
Starion engine into my Sapporo - 2
FJ55 - diesel engine and respray - 3
Hj61 bit of welding and spray - 4
Ural and sidecar - new carbs - 5
Suzuki t500 - New electrics and sell - 6
Suzuki t500(2) - turn into cafe racer - 7
Ford Mustang rebuild - 8
KZJ70 rust repair - 9!!!

Oh bollox

EF10CAE9-47FD-45AD-A3F2-3129F28D38E6-11166-000004D262B322F0.jpg

does anyone know the paint code for this colour?

does anyone have a diesel filler unit?

any idea where I can get cheap aftermarket wings?

Jonnie

Thats a nice shiny radiator mate. :clap:

Where did you get it from, have you got a link?

heres where I got my replacement rear panels from:-

http://autoblechteile.de/Toyota/Landcruiser-BJ/LJ-70-73:::8_64.html

A cheaper and better option might be to see if you can go and remove and buy the rear arches off the KZJ70 that I cut the roof off.

Apart from the dents on that truck there isnt any rust on it, such a shame it has ended up the way it has really.

You could cut the rear inner and outer arches off all in one piece. Would be a piece of piss then to cut and weld them on to yours. :thumbup:

have you got an email or number for this truck? would be a good idea. I like your thinking! Shame its Bristol though.

Back