Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Basic Recovery Gear Advice

All in the broader sense of the topic, Mr Smarty-pants Prince :angry-tappingfoot: :text-lol: . Just coz you've been on your hols to where the sun shines .... :violin: :happy-sunny:

10mm and 1 big hole IMO :) OP has had his questions answered so not really a hijack ;)

Thanks Jon.

Sam is probably watching this anyway - both 120s with rubbish rear recovery points, including the tow hitch, IMO.

I'll see if I can get some angle soonish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im really pleased with my angle recovery points. :clap:

P3060008.jpg

P3060009.jpg

P3060010.jpg

P3060011.jpg

P3060012.jpg

P3060026.jpg

P3060027.jpg

P3060028.jpg

P3060037.jpg

P3060039.jpg

P3090006.jpg

is that enough pics? :lol:

BTW if anyone wants some of this thick angle to make there own recovery points weve got masses of the stuff at work. :)

can soon cut some bits off and bring them to Lincomb for who ever wants some. :thumbup:

they held up well when i used a kinetic rope, to pull a fallen tree out from across a lane. :twisted:

P3250068.jpg

P3250069.jpg

P3250070.jpg

P3250071.jpg

P3250072.jpg

P3250074.jpg

P3250075.jpg

I'm watching I'm watching - and very happy where the thread's going :thumbup:

Wasn't paying much attention though... did someone say they were making us some Gary? :lol: :shifty:

I'd read a short Sunday afternoon rant from someone on here a while ago (in the archives I think) about recovery points with 2 simple bolt holes and things that wrapped around (or at least fixed from both sides) of the chassis. Can't remember what it was about exactly - which makes this paragraph pointless I suppose - but I know I was left with the feeling there would be less chance of chassis damage if the recovery point was fitted with more than 2 bolts on one side.... maybe I should find the post :lol:

EDIT :: I'm talking rubbish. This was the thread and is does kinda intimate at what I said (mini rant) but I think I had the context all wrong.

Sorry chaps - tired and running a silly high temp.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ben... you pulled a tree with a kinetic rope? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Why have I got a picture of a potentially priceless "road-runner" style moment there? :lol:

Surely there's a higher than comfortable risk of flying trees? ... heading exactly your way! :lol:

yes i used a kinetic rope and an 8meter strop.

the 8meter strop was to give me a bit more length, so that it didnt come down on my truck. :cool:

i took about 10 reverse pulls, steadily increasing my speed, until on what was going to be my final attempt, i got up to about 25mph before the tree finally came down. :dance:

Got my strops and shackles today... service from Damar was pretty damn good - even got texts telling me exactly when they were coming... to the hour! :thumbup:

Anyway - got a 10m and a 4m strop and 4 rated bow shackles. The 4m can double up as a bridle type thing between my two costume jewellery [strike:3upnirbi]recovery[/strike:3upnirbi] loops if needed - and the 10 can be... erm... longer... (in case of Mr. Princes "No-go-on-the-dirt-peugeot" man)

Was thinking long term and thought carrying those two would cover off most scenarios for now and be most useful in the future. Don't imagine I'd be towing anyone - but if I had to in an emergency I could use the 4m... just have to go slow cos it wont snap if things go the way of the pear!

Ben - sounds excellent offer. Let me see what I can dig out and I'll get back to you.

Sam - if I'm making 2 for my 120 I can always make 4 - keep me in my 'man cave' (SWMBOs words, not mine :lol:) longer. Let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't buy any - I'll be making my own when I get a chance to get to a steel stockist.

In the meantime I've got a custom 2" receiver on with a decent towing eye on it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349263366.565086.jpg

Cheers

If you'd made that a little bigger Gary you could have sat on it and had a s***. It's a Bumper Dumper.

Seriously, I haven't been near Twiggs to look for some steel for you. I haven't forgotten. I looked in the workshop, but nothing doing.

Chris

That's not a problem Chris - and the pic doesn't really give proper scale. Try this one:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349267252.007048.jpg

And before powder coating

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349267289.556140.jpg

Don't be offended Ben, but using a kinetic rope to remove a fallen tree seems more than a little dangerous.

No offence taken. :thumbup:

In what way dangerous? :think:

I snapped a kinetic rope once, and contrary to what i imagine most people think would happen, it simply dropped to the floor! :icon-cool:

I am not saying that this particular episode was dangerous or not, but kinetic ropes store energy. That's the point. If something on the other end gives way, you have a huge elastic band pulling toward you. If the rope snaps in the middle or along its length, then it should be pretty safe. But that's not the only failure you can have when using one Ben.

They only have so much elongation in them and in some cases the stretched rope may not have sufficient energy to make it back to the pulling vehicle. But in the case of a tree perhaps, there is stored energy at the other end as well - even with a static rope. If that comes off your vehicle then it's going to fly the other way.

The best thing to do in any winching situation is stop, think, plan, discuss before leaping in. I do see lots of recoveries etc that have no planning or thought at all go into them. Out with the winch, straight in and the only thing that prevents injury is luck.

Not aimed at you there Ben, just a general point. Stop and think before acting. What is they say, act in haste, repent at leisure.

Chris

No offence taken. :thumbup:

In what way dangerous? :think:

I snapped a kinetic rope once, and contrary to what i imagine most people think would happen, it simply dropped to the floor! :icon-cool:

I saw Ian Rubies Kinetic rope snap in Piccadilly Woods and with a loud 'Snap' it shot back with tremendous speed :icon-eek:, we were all clear and it didn't hit anyone but it did hit a dog, made him jump but he didn't yelp so I would assume there was not much force behind it. If it had a lump of metal attached it would have been a different story. It most certainly didn't drop to the floor. :eusa-naughty:

bang on ...:clap:
i have been wheeling for 3 decades, i have seen some nasty breaks and the worst by far was one of those non-kinetic 4" wide tow straps. it came through the back of his truck and slapped him on the side of the face before going through the windshield glass. damn lucky.

there is a lot of misinformation on the net and in peoples heads.
the worst cause of breakage is a worn piece of equipment, if it is frayed then pitch it and buy new.
the next has to be attachment points, make sure they are solid, make sure they are designed for the stress you are going to be putting the point under.

for towing down the road, a rope is a rope. i like towing with the kinetic but i don't like the wear on the rope when it drags when your inept towee doesn't keep it tight as you come to a stop. GENTLY keep the brakes applied on the towed vehicle to keep the rope tight.

these are what i use: http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=425

excellent rope for recovery, nice rope for towing.
I think that there is little point stressing over some of these issues when you actually see what people fasten the equipment to in the first place. :o I wouldn't tow with a kinetic simply because I don't want it trailing on the road at junctions, or being run over by the second vehicle. I would say that it would be safe, you certainly aren't going to kill a bystander. That is in the realms of the fanciful. Typically there's only 20% elongation in them anyway. Once that 20% has been recovered (if they snap) then there is a huge reduction in potential energy in them. They are quite heavy. Being kinetic and having the ability to take quite a tug, it's unlikely they'd snap under towing load. The problem with snapping things - outside of steel ropes, is generally what's fastened to the end of them should the whole thing come off. Non steel ropes and straps snapping in the middle is not a huge event. But, and I repeat my earlier point, if the tow point comes off under tension, it can become a significant projectile.

I'm all for being safe (some of you know what I do for a living) but I think that there is a good deal of paranoia around some of this at times. We should all have the ability to tell when something isn't safe to be used anymore. I'm with Ben, if a shackle looks and works ok - it probably is. Ropes are harder to assess, yes, so don't lend them to people. You know the history then. Any recovery, no matter how basic needs a quick think through and an agreement of what's going to happen. I have seen some appalling lash ups which have gone wrong, but I can't actually recall seeing a thought through plan using average kit go dangerously wrong. Fail, yes, but not dangerously. It's usually too many people involved, no one person in control, people doing things when they shouldn't and no recognition of what might fail.

What gets me is those who choose to go off road (not laning) with nothing more than a rope round the bumper and a hopeful smile when they're stuck. Buy a winch you tight****e t**t, tree strop, couple of shackles and a good 10m strap or rope, maybe a snatchblock too, should be sufficient for normal recoveries. Some waffles or similar would be a very useful addition too. Obviously making sure that you have solid recovery points too. Even with a winch, you will need somewhere to double the rope back to. In any case, I would not want to tow someone by their winch rope

Chris

Back