Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Basic Recovery Gear Advice

bang on ...:clap:
i have been wheeling for 3 decades, i have seen some nasty breaks and the worst by far was one of those non-kinetic 4" wide tow straps. it came through the back of his truck and slapped him on the side of the face before going through the windshield glass. damn lucky.

there is a lot of misinformation on the net and in peoples heads.
the worst cause of breakage is a worn piece of equipment, if it is frayed then pitch it and buy new.
the next has to be attachment points, make sure they are solid, make sure they are designed for the stress you are going to be putting the point under.

for towing down the road, a rope is a rope. i like towing with the kinetic but i don't like the wear on the rope when it drags when your inept towee doesn't keep it tight as you come to a stop. GENTLY keep the brakes applied on the towed vehicle to keep the rope tight.

these are what i use: http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=425

excellent rope for recovery, nice rope for towing.
Yes, always better to let the towed vehicle do the slowing down as much as possible, within reason.

Gra.

The army use kinetic ropes to recover tanks and other AFV's. Army personnel are not allowed to use the ropes on non armoured vehicles. Each rope carries a metal tag that is marked each time the rope is used. 6 uses and the rope is scrapped. There have been a number of incidence where people have died when a KERR has ripped the recovery point from a stricken vehicle and this has then been propelled into the towing vehicle, with disastrous results. As has been pointed out by others, any form of recovery needs to have all the factors, especially safety, considered before anything is started. I once tried to stop a KERR recovery at a trial at Burton Dassett (I was a marshal) but the driver (a committee member) carried on regardless. The recovery point on the committee members Range Rover was ripped out and slammed into the back of the stuck vehicle causing serious damage and considerable concern. From that point on the club imposed a ban on any recoveries unless a safety officer was present to supervise.

Roger

I saw Ian Rubies Kinetic rope snap in Piccadilly Woods and with a loud 'Snap' it shot back with tremendous speed :icon-eek:, we were all clear and it didn't hit anyone but it did hit a dog, made him jump but he didn't yelp so I would assume there was not much force behind it. If it had a lump of metal attached it would have been a different story. It most certainly didn't drop to the floor. :eusa-naughty:

Have to correct you there Chas. I snapped a synthetic winch rope, not a kinetic rope. As you say, while yes it did ping back it was not with much force. If you saw a kinetic rope snap, it was not mine nor was it in a recovery I was involved in.

I think kinetic ropes have their place. When used correctly they are very effective. Land Rovers with rusty rear cross members are not a good place to use them.

Last edited:
Have to correct you there Chas. I snapped a synthetic winch rope, not a kinetic rope. At while yes it did ping back it was not with much force. If you saw a kinetic rope snap, it was not mine nor was it in a recovery I was involved in.
:oops: :oops: You are quite right Ian, I was confusing kinetic with synthetic, my mistake, blame it on old age. :lol:

Last edited:
Back