Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

black / airtop roof tents

Jon Wildsmith said:
[quote="Gav Peter":1fl7xjey]Very chic Jon :cool: Have you tried it out yet??
negotiating that now :)[/quote:1fl7xjey]

A night out in Wales? :shh:

24Seven said:
Jon Wildsmith said:
[quote="Gav Peter":184h90k3]Very chic Jon :cool: Have you tried it out yet??
negotiating that now :)

A night out in Wales? :shh:[/quote:184h90k3]
I nearly suggested that to celibrate our 20th wedding aniversary (today) but I don't think it would have worked :lol:

20 years eh... You'd get less for murder!!! :lol:

Congrats to you & the present Mrs Wildsmith dude :cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gav Peter said:
20 years eh... You'd get less for murder!!! :lol: Congrats to you & the present Mrs Wildsmith dude :cool:

Our 30th is next April, when I told my wife, If I'd shot you when I wanted to I'd be out by now, it wasn't very well received :naughty:

I like that Jon..... I like that a lot :thumbup:

Unfortunately as my Mrs has a bladder the size of a mouse's, she normally ends up going to the loo at least once in the night... and I can see the 'climbing down ladder' bit ending in disaster :doh: :D

Hmmmn... now if I could get a small portaloo (aka bucket) in the corner :D

Where did you get it from Jon, was it a UK supplier?

Bat21 said:
Where did you get it from Jon, was it a UK supplier?
Got it from BOAB which is where my last one came from as well, they are the UK importers. Like every sleeping solution it seems, it's not perfect but having been on the ground, then in the previous RT, then back on the ground again I'm sure what I want now I think :lol: so it's back onto the roof :D The ladder can be a bit ticklish to bare / sock'd feet but otherwise I'm not sure it's really much more trouble than all the other things that have to be done for a night time loo visit :think:

Happy Anniversary and looking good, i like the idea of the hard shells as they seem to me to be a bit more resistant when green laning :thumbup:

silvercruiser said:
Happy Anniversary and looking good, i like the idea of the hard shells as they seem to me to be a bit more resistant when green laning :thumbup:
Thanks for all the congrats :) The last RT I bought I went to BOAB to view an Overcamp which is a fold out canvas job, convinced that was what I needed but came away with a Maggiolina wind up hard shell :D There are all sorts of reasons why you might choose one style over the other but for me the fold out ones are not enough improvement over a ground tent for me to want one but clearly there are compromises with the hardshell ones that mean for some people the fold out is better :)

That looks very nice indeed Jon. Looks like it folds pretty flat too. :clap:

Might as well keep my comments on this tent to this thread. Used it this weekend for the first time and was very pleased with it. Putting it up really couldn't be easier, undo the straps and ease it up rather than just letting go so it isn't banging against the stops. Putting it down even in wet and wind conditions was also as easy as hoped with a couple of circuits of the truck tucking things in but basicly just pull and end down, tuck in and fit the straps, repeat at the other end, check for protrusions and then pull the straps down tight.

I did a little mod to the one door flap before I went away which I might now repeat for the rear entrance flap in case I use that. The vertical door flap is a minor irritation, having to be flopped over the top of the tent (which doesn't really work in windy conditions) or rolled up and clipped out of the way. I had a couple of spare poles with a spike on each end I thought I'd have an experiment with so I poked a hole in the bottom corners of the flap and drilled a hole each side in the top tube of my roof rack. The end result worked very well this last weekend:

IMG_1735.JPG

The proper awning is better if you have the time and space to use it but this little mod is a good stand in for those times when there wasn't enough space or you just can't be bothered to put the full awning up :)

You forgot to mention that it makes you have funny dreams Jon... :lol:

lol I'd forgotten about that but maybe there is a connection after all seeing they're so expensive :lol:

Jon Wildsmith said:
lol I'd forgotten about that but maybe there is a connection after all seeing they're so expensive :lol:
er, how expensive :shock: , or shouldn't I ask? I've been thinking of replacing my Airlander as it's a bit big for me on my own.

Well it's very unusual for me to even remember having a dream never mind having a nightmare but I dreamt I was lieing on my back in my tent being held down by hands that had come in under the flaps while they tried to extract my wallet from my pocket at which point I cried out and woke up :lol: Quite a bizzaar experience for me I can tell you so it must have been triggered by something, either that or there was something extra in the smoke from the fire that night :lol:

The Air Tops are a bit more expensive than the wind up models and the black one is a bit more expensive again and like everything else prices have gone up a bit in the last couple of years. With your back though Chas you might want to stick with a wind up model or at least try closing an air top before you buy because the front might be a bit tricky for you. Obviously you're welcome to have a good look at mine any time it's on the truck.

Actually, even the black air top is quite cheap compared to a carbon fibre wind up model :shock:

Jon Wildsmith said:
With your back though Chas you might want to stick with a wind up model or at least try closing an air top before you buy because the front might be a bit tricky for you.:shock:
Thanks Jon, I had already given some thought to that :think: , I thought maybe a cleat fixed to the front of the top that I could hook something onto while standing on the ground :thumbup: . Before I do get one I shall go up to BOAB's and investigate further.

Cossack said:
Thanks Jon, I had already given some thought to that :think: , I thought maybe a cleat fixed to the front of the top that I could hook something onto while standing on the ground :thumbup: . Before I do get one I shall go up to BOAB's and investigate further.
Before I went to get mine from BOAB TJ had done a pretty good job of convincing me it would be a struggle to close so I'd been giving it some thought and concluded that I'd either climb up on the bonet or open the sun roof and pull it down through there! The issue is that whereas at the back you can stand in the middle and pull straight down, at the front you're off to one side reaching over quite a way making it much harder to pull straight down.

I don't know if BOAB have any air-tops on display, didn't look like it when I went to get mine but I'm only a bit further up the road if you want to experiment on mine as there's not a lot of difference between an 80 and 100 for this.

Don't suppose you can pull the front down from inside Then exit from the back door?

Back