Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

black / airtop roof tents

adrianr said:
Don't suppose you can pull the front down from inside Then exit from the back door?
I wouldn't like to say it couldn't be done but I think it would end up being more difficult than doing it from outside. I will have to open mine up again soon to fetch my sleeping bag and pillow out so if I remember I'll check that out.

Jon Wildsmith said:
adrianr said:
Don't suppose you can pull the front down from inside Then exit from the back door?
I wouldn't like to say it couldn't be done but I think it would end up being more difficult than doing it from outside. I will have to open mine up again soon to fetch my sleeping bag and pillow out so if I remember I'll check that out.
If you could pull it down from inside, how would you stop it from pushing itself up again? if your inside you couldn't use the outside straps to hold it down.

From Jons previous description you give it a start and then off it goes. was just trying to figure out how you could do it - remembering your back and also your balance.

Wonder how he'll get on later on.

adrianr said:
From Jons previous description you give it a start and then off it goes. was just trying to figure out how you could do it - remembering your back and also your balance.Wonder how he'll get on later on.
Maybe an inside strap could be fitted to hold it down while you exited. :thumbup:

when I said open mine up again soon I meant like this week not later on today :) You have to maintain force to keep pulling it down but the force definately reduces the more folded the strut becomes and when it is nearly all the way down the weight of the shell holds it there but I'm not sure there'd be space inside between the matress and shell for you to get it right down. The struts are bolted to little brackets inside so there's a potential fixing point for some kind of handle.

I think you'd be better off rigging something externaly though, like dropping a rope down between the roof rack slats, through the sunroof and just pull it down from inside the car. Not ideal if it's p'ing down but it can be done.

External would be best.

BTW Jon - your comments and write ups were very insightful and helped me decide on a Maggionlina tent. Thank you.

Now to wait and see what turns up, used.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
I think you'd be better off rigging something externaly though, like dropping a rope down between the roof rack slats, through the sunroof and just pull it down from inside the car. Not ideal if it's p'ing down but it can be done.
That sounds like a very feasible solution :thumbup:

They don't seem to get talked about much Adrian which seems a bit strange seeing as they're a fair sized investment so I just thought I'd waffle on about mine :) They also don't seem to come up second hand very often which possibly says something about them.

pop'd my tent up for a bit yesterday to air it as it was put away wet both mornings at the weekend and it was bone dry and fresh, needn't have bothered :D Had a look at closing from the inside Chas and I don't think that's going to work for you. Dropping a line down through the sun roof will be your best bet if you're set on having an airtop but even that takes a bit of a tug. How do you cope with rolling up and stowing the front panel on your existing tent because that always seemed a bit of a stretch on my safari.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Had a look at closing from the inside Chas and I don't think that's going to work for you. Dropping a line down through the sun roof will be your best bet if you're set on having an airtop but even that takes a bit of a tug. How do you cope with rolling up and stowing the front panel on your existing tent because that always seemed a bit of a stretch on my safari.
What panel you are refering to Jon? I stand on the sliders and wind down the roof and reach across and tuck in the bits that hang out, there's no panel outside, there is a window panel, but that's on the inside. I do have a side awning that fits on the outside but I've never used that yet, I think that would be taken off before lowering the tent anyway.

When you wind down a mag, when it's down to tucking height you're supposed to gather up the slack in the front panel and roll it up then push it down into the slot in front of the sissor arms for that purpose, repeat for the back panel, makes sure the fabric doesn't get caught up in the mechanism. Sounds like you just push it in through the gap in the sissor arms? As you got your second hand maybe you weren't shown the recommended way.I wondered how you got on with reaching across and rolling that front fabric up but I don't think you do?

Jon Wildsmith said:
When you wind down a mag, when it's down to tucking height you're supposed to gather up the slack in the front panel and roll it up then push it down into the slot in front of the sissor arms for that purpose, repeat for the back panel, makes sure the fabric doesn't get caught up in the mechanism. Sounds like you just push it in through the gap in the sissor arms? As you got your second hand maybe you weren't shown the recommended way.I wondered how you got on with reaching across and rolling that front fabric up but I don't think you do?
No, I didn't realise it should be rolled first, I just tuck it into the gap though, obviously trying to keep it out of the scissor mechanism.

Completely OT, but I've just bought one of those Digi photo frames, I've got a lovely display of my Moroccan trip playing at the moment :thumbup:

you roll it into a sausage and then tuck it down into the cavity that's just in front of the mechanism ;) slightly harder at the front because there's a truck in the way but easy at the back.

We have a digital photo frame and they are great, much better than normal photo albums :thumbup:

Hi Jon & Everyone.
This is my first post on this forum having come across this by accident whilst looking at the Airtop tents.

I made a big mistake when buying a roof tent last year for my trip to Morocco.
Basically i'd intended to get the Airtop from Boab, then stupidly thought i could save some dosh and bought a Terrain fold out roof tent.
To cut a long story short it ended up in the skip when i came home, so now worthless. If i'd got the Airtop i would not now be looking at buying another.
Oh well, thats how it goes i guess.

Very nice looking truck Jon.
Is there a TJM outlet in UK ?
Is the front bar available for an 80 series ?
The one you have is better looking tha most, and is one of my next additions, along with the Airtop of course :thumbup:

That's a shame it didn't work out for you with the other tent :( I don't know why but there's not much on the net about airtops so I thought I'd post the odd picture or ten :)

I got my bumper from OEC, I don't know what options they have for an 80 series but I think TJM have pdf catalogues on their main web site you can download.

Does anyone know what the range of Airtop tents cost as there site has no information. I have had a lok at the USA site and was wondering if the UK ones are around the same price.

I really really want one and need to work out how to save for one next.

Very approximately - I think the black storm airtops are 1860, safari airtop 1650 and a wind up safari 1550, all for the small size, add about 300 for a medium. The wind up carbon fibre is 3000 plus! Best thing is to phone up and ask :) A rack like that ARB is no good for RT's, you'd be better off with some Rhino feet and bars like I use.

Hi Tim
I saw noticed your post regarding your Terrain Tent which didn't work out. It would be great to hear what was wrong with it. Am considering spending £625 on a Terrain Tent instead of £1000+ on a hannibal, Ezi Awn or Howlingmoon. I depart London for Cape Town overland in April. Will be on the road for 6 months. Do you think the Terrain is up to it or should I go with a more expensive brand. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

David

I changed the incandescent bulb used in the light on my Airtop for a 48 led panel that was a spare in the kit I got from pfran for the interior of my 100 series. Easy swap, pull the old bulb out, pull the plastic connector off the end of the led panel wire so there's just the 2 pins left, insert pins into the bulb holder, turn light on to test wires are correct orientation, peel backing off sticky pad on back of panel and stick it in place :)

original incandescent bulb
IMAG0644.jpg

led panel in place
IMAG0647.jpg

cover fits back on fine
IMAG0648.jpg

quite bright but not over bright (tried it with the door shut so it was nice and dark in the tent as well).
IMAG0649.jpg

Hi Jon

have you used your tent in heavy rain and wind?
How does it cope?
do the enterance flaps come with supports to hold them open?

as it seems some conventional RTT can be a bit leaky and the bedding gets wet...

Back