Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Boost setting?

Ive been away for quite a few days and know a bit about tuning the 1kzt.

Generally with this conversion you shouldn't ever see the red turbo light. It is telling you that the turbo is working too hard. . Either the inlet side or the exhaust side. I read that you have a cone filter on the inlet so that's good and no restriction.

On post 35 you say that you have a "bike race can" on the exhaust? Is it still there? :think:

Generally bike race cans are small diameter pipes designed for small engines. Is it like this?

If its too small and restricted the outlet turbine on the turbo is under real strain.. hence the red light. Also this restriction is raising the egt's.

Remember if your pushing high pressure in... you really need the outlet exhaust to follow suit. Free flow in and definitely free flow out!
Back in 2009 I made a stainless steel 3" side exit exhaust. 3" dump pipe straight off the turbo and made a flange too.
IMG-20140401-WA0000.jpg

This is part of it a few years later on. When the 4runner engine died from too much boost and over fueling! It did fly and did over 110mph!! It's from a toyota granvia.
You can see the new turbo flange and the 3" pipework. Also there's a egt probe tapped in pre turbo, to prevent what happened to the previous engine.

You can get all the 3" stainless exhaust components from Demon Tweeks and they are Jetex brand. You could probably get away without the silencer to save a few dollar. But for a bit more noise!

gti interior 014.jpg

gti interior 013.jpg

It was quite easy to put together, but needed a bit of modification after after a few 1000 miles.

Hope the info helps:thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi Iwan hope u had good trip mate !
And yea thanks for the info I'm still learning here and there really

Have u still got that exhaust Iwan?? No took bike can off aswell.. Tbh I lost it somewhere on the motor way lol

Tbh I lost it somewhere on the motor way lol

Some mothers do av' em :lol:

Well spotted on the exhaust Iwan i automatically assumed a 750+cc racecan which are generally about 2.5 inch bore iirc .

Any good with a welder Craig ?

Got a mig welder I used to weld all my arches on with and other bits and bobs in my beloved lj70 thread

Wow its THAT truck we are talking about :icon-cool:

attachment.php

when i asked if you could weld i was wondering if the standard downpipe could be butchered so it flares from the flange to meet a 3" flexi pipe .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yup that's the truck lol u like it?
Well I was thinking maybe making a straight through system off the turbo... Do I need a dump pipe??

Hi Iwan hope u had good trip mate !
And yea thanks for the info I'm still learning here and there really

Have u still got that exhaust Iwan?? No took bike can off aswell.. Tbh I lost it somewhere on the motor way lol

Hi Craig. .. Yes had a great trip away. I'm aiming to add some pics to my 81 thread soon.

I sold the truck a while back and believe that it's been sold on again. It's not really a big job to make one up. I may be buying a 1kzt to fit in one of my trucks so a possibility that I will be making another one soon.

I would recommend going 3" straight from the turbo if your planning raising the boost. To get a safer free flowing system.

This is the type of kit that I used.

1439197079519.jpg

All available in mild or stainless. . Mild steel is around 50% less to keep the cost lower.

Is that demon tweets book then yeah?? I might just make from mild steel as I'm not worried about how pretty it looks as will be covered in mud lol

Iwan the boost on my gauge reads 10psi but the red light still appears so would you not worry about that?? I want to help Ben get his turbo lights working to see if his does the same?

Right still stressed over light, I decided to take actuator pipe of turbo last night put the blower gun in the pipe and hues what happened it didn't move the waste hate arm much so kept doing it eventually it moved easily so put all back together drove home booting it here an ther and still no red light I thought bonus problem solved until stopped at tesco a did bit of shopping then left there booted it again every now and again then suddenly the red light was flickering back on again so is it just dodged wastegate??

I suspected this all along and have looked for cures finding non . I would get some wynns egr cleaner fill the actuator pipe with it and blow it through using your compressor then go for a spin . With luck its just a sticky carbon build up from over fueling and doing this might burn it away , might take a few attempts though and may not work but its worth a try for a tenner .

Ok shayne lol I'll get some at weekend and do it then
also I've ordered some 3" exhaust parts to make one with possibly have a go at that this weekend will get ready for offroading soon then see how it performs lol can't wait

Sorry do I put that cleaner stuff in the same pipe that goes to the actuator??

No that's what i was thinking (without thinking) but obviously the will just go to the actuator spring and do nothing :doh:, I don't know i have put egr cleaner through my intake even though i don't have an egr in the hope it will clean bits i can't get to . Can't do no harm and might do some good ?

Avoid Demon Thieves if you want value for money, same exhaust parts can be had elsewhere much cheaper, such as merlin Motorsport :D

I just ordered through them lol as couldn't find anywhere else but I won't look on merlin now in case I'm horrified lol
thanks tho mark
ok we'll I'll put it every where I can then lol

No worries mate that's a better one than the one I've got mate
making my new 3"exhaust on sunday lol see if it turns out as a result or scrap

Back