Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Boost setting?

I never been happy with standard exhaust layout placement as I liked the 2.4 set up and I thought it's an easier and more stylish lol

We'll cleaned all waste gate boost gauge says 11.5 psi but red light flickers and comes on in 5th so could the turbo be getting too hot it's better with 3" exhaust tho but still dreaded light is there

egt got too high maybe??

Right been busy for a while now but back to the red light !!! Lol I've finally Sussed it it's just the air box that's been restricting I brought a 3L 4runner air box which is for that engine but not big enough after upping the fuel so.. I brought a hdj80 4.2 air box which is huge and the old one will nearly fit inside it. Any way fitted that along with ordering new hoses and it seems to breath so much more and doesn't feel tight
so that's that finally sorted!!

Glad you got it sorted i certainly wouldn't have guessed in that direction :think: makes me wonder what the turbo warning light actually indicates , your fix suggests to me the light indicates a loss in pressure so on a standard truck it would probably mean the air filter needs replaced which is a handy feature .

I know I'm not sure what it has to do with it either as the turbo pressure switch is from the 2lt engine I had but when I floored it seemed to bog down which led to the red light coming on but if I eased off of the throttle alittle it would go out which now tells me there's not enough air flow to match the fuel flow.. But now it sounds so different and so much more responsive.

I was guessing along those lines early on in this thread , i'm not going to read back but i do remember having problems with my own truck which a k&n high flow air filter cured . I would be keen to see a pic of your 80 series box in place if you don't mind Craig as its a mod i might add .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yea I'll take a pic for you tomorrow shayne it's quite a tight fit but it goes in nicely

Cheers its a curiosity more than anything at present i don't think its a mod i would benefit from because my boost is limited by electrics and i need to think about it while driving so don't go out of your way to get the pic up .

The KZJ70 runs basically an 80 series airbox as standard, in that it uses 80 series air filters.

I find it interesting that Toyota decided to fit a much bigger airbox on the KZJ70 than the 4-runner even though they are both obviously running the same 1KZ-T engine. [emoji3]

I've found my turbo lights are all over the place and my red light comes on way to early, at just over 2000RPM. [emoji107]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't come on atal now Ben I've uped the fuel alittle too it's quicker thang dads kzj but his gears are taller so does pull for longer.
ive just got 80 airbox and 4runner hi flow filter
and no light

Happy days then Craig, well done for finding it. Bet you're relieved as that would drive me nuts!

Yeah was driving me nuts mate as didn't have a clue whether it was doing more bad than good or what was wrong with it lol but so much better now
I just wonder why they don't use same airbox as the kzj70???

The KZJ70 runs basically an 80 series airbox as standard, in that it uses 80 series air filters.

I find it interesting that Toyota decided to fit a much bigger airbox on the KZJ70 than the 4-runner even though they are both obviously running the same 1KZ-T engine. [emoji3]

I've found my turbo lights are all over the place and my red light comes on way to early, at just over 2000RPM. [emoji107]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben have you looked at opening the airbox up as much as poss increasing air flow? High flow filter Evan?
Also a while back about a mate hu had a kzj right off the engine went in the same as ours moving engine mounts back. Just thought I'd let you know
cheers

What are you boosting at Ben ?

If Craig's fix tells us anything its that the turbo light comes on when the engine is struggling to breathe .

That's what I'm trying to say I think if you increase the fuel I am told the percentage of air has to increase Aswell for instance, try with out a filter and take for a spin, if the red light comes on isit bogging down mid revs??
If so then needs more air
i got told to Evan remove airbox at the inlet in the turbo, then take up the road( this is what I did and red light didn't come on atal) that's how I knew to get larger airbox

Getting the fuel air mix right throughout the rev range is the hard part , too much fuel and not enough air will reduce power so up the air or turn the fuel down and it will run better - same difference .

Yes I agree shayne the fuel adjustment screw is called a high speed adjuster as far as I'm aware... so it there a low speed one??

I had all the same headaches but no turbo lights to warn me of a problem , the 3" exhaust begged for more power but turning up the fuel didn't feel right which led me to fit a high flow filter allowing me to burn more fuel . I was happy for a while but it still felt it wasn't giving me what it could . I was thinking only a manual pump will give me what i want until it finally dawned on me the electric pump can match fuel to air far better than i ever could if it was just getting the right signals . So i moved the pressure and temperature sensor onto my intercooler and it all came together .

Last edited:
Back