Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Camper conversions - Brave Pills

Cptsideways

Garage
Right, I like campers, along-with my 80 I also own a Bongo 4WD, which is rather an ideal sort of base vehicle its a Poptop full camper conversion one. However there is one issue, I need to tow my boat, its quite big & well the trailer is bigger bit. The Bongo does it rather well but technically not legally! Boat weighs in at 2.2ton :shock:

So have been going round in circles trying to find something to replace the Bongo with that will do the following

Has a decent tow capacity
Can get up up & down a steep slippery slipway (Bongo is good at this!!!)
Is compact but I can stay away in for a week quite easily
I don't need loads of typical camper kit just the basics
If I could store my windsurfing kit inside even better, but I need length for that

The bongo is compact, I like the poptop as it gives standing room, with the right interior layout it would be perfect. Sadly it's got a rear kitchen & side cupboards so windsurf kit fitting in is a no goer.

I also have too much time on my hands when I'm not away working & a big garage!

So I want a combination of

This
2015-05-11_19-35-57_29.jpg2015-12-02_14-31-46_10.jpg

And this
photos01.jpg

Suggestions please!

I think you already know where this post is going. Make the 80 have the interior and roof of the bongo. Other wise get a rb44 and stick a caravan on the back?

There is plenty of conversations out there to piece ideas from. I really like a sandy colour 4 door 80 with a pop top. The box really would be easy to make. I used to make things a bit like these structures so if I can be of any help just say

Keep thinking/ looking into the 80 sort of thing myself.

Also got a couple of things started. Just do it mate and make it happen :)

I gather the bongo didnt sell then.

My eBay searches consist of pop tops,campers, 4x4 campers.

Yep the Bongo's still for sale, when it snows in the Alps I'm off for a ski trip in it if its not sold... when it snows....

Quite like the idea of the demountables, but few appear to allow towing due to size & overhang. Also looked at Iveco based campers but most are too big for what I need.

So building one, quite interested in making a box jobbie on the back of the cruiser, any suggestions for the best materials to make one from?? Eg a pre formed flat panel GRP insulated type stuff, frames etc any suggestions welcome. If making a box then obvious solution would be an expanding upwards one like this.

27062009094.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would do a aluminium frame the bond Ali or grp sheets to that then insulated the void. I would go as high as that due to the inability off road after. Ali pop top like David's is the route I will go down or the pop up solid type they use on the unicat.

image.jpg

Theres lots I like got loads of phots saved on my iPad for ideas.
I like the idea of a camper that can be dropped off as well.

I have been thinking of doing a 4 door demountable but just not got enough room to make ot work. 2 door/ 2 berth easy.

When I get a work shop next year you can pay me to do it karl.
Stu

If you do it at the right money mate I'd get you to do them and I'd do a few :thumbup:

The overcab bunk like the demountables give the space you really need, without that I'd say it would be cramped, also making a bed up no matter how easy is a pain. Making a box with slideouts would also be fairly easy.

I have seen folks in the US do alu box's that they can drop onto a pickup. Driver it around. Its not a pop top per se but the whole box expands up when stationary.

Maybe expo will have some pics etc.

Have you considered a HZJ78 as base vehicle?
Tourfactory in Germany sell a lot of stuff to build your own camper onto a cruiser. Their catalog has a few nice ideas like a demountable unit. Website and catalog are in German.
http://www.tourfactory.de/home.html?willkommen.html

Aha the PDF file shows its a kit as I thought it might be, looks quite simple. HZJ78 are not quite the price of an 80 yet for much the same thing! Would consider chopping up my 80 first.

Page 52 explains most of it

A VDJ78 with a pop top would be the way to go.....

Oh I do LOVE that 40, that looks so right!!

If I remember correctly. . That 45 is on a 80 chassis. Best of both worlds :icon-cool:

Back