Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Disconnecting manifold heater - 1HD-FT

Brett

Country Flag
uk
Hello all,

I'm currently, as in right now! Removing the wiring for the inlet heater, I've got a bit of a story to tell later on this! Firstly however, I've removed the battery cable to the relay, and the feeder cable from the relay to the heater, have all others who have removed the above also disconnected the blue plug & removed the relay or left in situ, with blue plug connected?

Thanks in advance, will update the story later.

Regards,
Brett

I actually kept my heater operational by replacing and repositioning the relay but I wouldn’t be concerned about removing the relay completely if I never intended using it again. It’s not a complex ECU monitored circuit so shouldn’t bring up a dash warning lamp etc.

Thanks Towpack, shall also remove relay now. I haven't got a heater anyway, I didn't realise this until the other day! Will elaborate later tonight when I finish up.

Not sure if anyone remembers but quite a few years ago, my 80 suffered the inlet heater relay failure, on the way home from work one night, I did put a post on here describing what happened but to cut a long story short, I managed to get Toyota to supply the parts as this was a warranty recall item that wasn't taken up by the previous owner.

Until my recent engine problems arose, I'd been happily driving along thinking I had a fully functional inlet heater. When I carried out the rocker arm repair recently, I noticed that the electrical terminal on the heater was very loose, I'd never noticed before as the terminal is covered by a rubber insulating boot. I decided to remove the heater and attempt to tighten the terminal up.

Once I'd got everything stripped out, imagine my shock when I discovered that Mr T had replaced my wiring and heater relay, but connected it up to a burnt out heater! The internal busbar from the heater was totally melted, hence the loose terminal, the bolt wasn't attached to anything internally, just rattling around in the mounting hole.

I've now removed the relay and wiring, I've also smashed the heater core out of the inlet heater, in effect, it is now an alloy spacer.

I now have further issues however which I'll describe in a more relevant post.

Back