Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

eu in or out poll

I think your problem is not with EHIC Dave but with nationality . A quick browse reveals the card entitles holders to a "reduced" cost of emergency treatment , i.e patched up to get you home , and the extent of treatment will not exceed what would be given wherever you hold citizenship .

It does not replace travel insurance .

I don't know how health care works in Spain but i'm thinking no NHS so if your still officially a Brit it seems likely to me you will actually get better care while visiting the said countries than your Spanish neighbor but they ain't gonna put that in writing :lol:

But remember, EHIC is not an EU initiative. Any inadequacies or inconsistencies are not down to the EU.

Then who is responsible for it Rob? My understanding is that it is an agreement between EEA and EU member countries? And being a citizen of the EU I am entitled to use it for medical assistance. What I have not managed to find out is why I lost some rights when I moved to Spain?

And if the UK leaves the EU, then the scaremongering about losing healthcare coverage when traveling abroad is just another smokescreen, and your EHIC will remain valid...or will it?

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Then who is responsible for it Rob? My understanding is that it is an agreement between EEA and EU member countries? And being a citizen of the EU I am entitled to use it for medical assistance. What I have not managed to find out is why I lost some rights when I moved to Spain?

And if the UK leaves the EU, then the scaremongering about losing healthcare coverage when traveling abroad is just another smokescreen, and your EHIC will remain valid...or ill it?

regards

Dave

I think it's just an agreement between a group of countries. The UK has reciprocal agreements with other countries too outside of EEA and Switzerland. I don't think there is an overarching body for this. I can't see any reason for EHIC to change if the UK leaves the EU, but I don't know.

I don't know if it helps you but I did read, when applying for mine, that if you are a UK pensioner or student you can apply for your EHIC card via the UK.

I think it's just an agreement between a group of countries. The UK has reciprocal agreements with other countries too outside of EEA and Switzerland. I don't think there is an overarching body for this. I can't see any reason for EHIC to change if the UK leaves the EU, but I don't know.

I don't know if it helps you but I did read, when applying for mine, that if you are a UK pensioner or student you can apply for your EHIC card via the UK.

Possibly mate? Although I am not yet of pensionable age, I do know though that a pensioner does not need to apply for an EHIC. It was IIRC July last year that the need for a pensioner EHIC was abolished?

Re the students, I have no idea mate.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
so as we get closer the campaign is stepped up.

I'm finding laughable the figures George Osbourne and david Cameron are plucking out of thin air, these figures are impossible to forecast.
the problem is there are a lot of people in this country who at the very mention of the cost of there holidays etc costing more, there ears will instantly pick up and they will vote to stay without giving a second thought to anything else.

imo very few people see the bigger picture, and as in elections a couple of points or even just the one, that may directly effect an individual are enough to gain there vote.

I fear the in campaign will win the vote based on this.

I hope not though, and on a positive note the first good sized "vote out" poster has sprung up where we live!

anyone know a good site for vote out stuff?..

I took Tony Benn's letter to the pub last Thursday but nobody read it because nobody had any doubts about voting out .

Our daughter has been off the voters map for at least a couple of years but they found her to make sure she votes .

I guess they don't realize that those who don't vote at all are more likely to vote out than in if they can't ignore it altogether .

Reactions: Pat
Well I have finally got the invoice to pay import duty on the starter I ordered from OZ, I think it is heading up for about two weeks now? I have had to ask why the cost is so high, it is not the money it just seems the import duty is out of kilter with the goods value?

Me: "Hi, I am enquiring why the import duty does not seem to reflect the value of the goods?"

Postal service: Ah, you see Sir because Australia is not in the EU you have to pay import duties."

Me: "Yes yes , I get that, the EU is so helpful, but it does not explain the high cost?"

Postal service: "Let me see Sir, well the import duty is only 7.42 euros?"

Me: "But you are requesting a bank payment of 82.05 euros?"

Postal service: "Ah but Sir, you need to pay VAT on the import value."

Me: "But the import duty that you quote is higher than the goods value?"

Postal service: "Oh, we get to charge VAT on the shipping charge, and the import charge as well Sir, oh and we have to charge for processing, oh and we also charge for presenting the charge."

Me: "The presentation of the processing charge?"

Postal service: "The urgent letter we sent you advising the parcel was here."

Me: Oh, the urgent letter that has taken you nearly two weeks to process, and I still have to go to the bank?"

"Postal service: It is all laid out here Sir." http://ec.europa.eu/index_en.htm

"Me, oh this one is in English?"

Postal service: "Oh yes Sir the EU is here to help everyone, oh and by the way.....there is also VAT on top of the processing and the postal charge, something else Sir, it has to be paid by the 6th of this month."

Me: "So that means I actually get three days to pay it?"

Postal service: "No Sir, six days."

Me: "But I have only just got the letter to go and pay, and the bank is shut, and they are also closed Saturday and Sunday."

Postal service: "Oh yes.....so it is, ah but you still have the other three Sir!"

So back to now.

Tomorrow I will go and queue to pay this 80 odd euros, of course I will have to take time off from work, I may or may not be able to pay at the bank, they do not accept all kinds of payment on all days, you sort of have to guess which day it will be! Now this will of course affect productivity............of my income!

Forget if the UK leaves the EU, the entire EU and it's bandits should be dismantled now!

Dave now falls silent, as he eases his trousers and pants down to his ankles, leans over the counter, and grasps the far side,

ready to take another one for the good ol EU!

THE EU IS NO GOOD FOR ANY COUNTRY LET ALONE THE UK...............PERIOD!!

regards

Dave​

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
Saw this today. Made interesting listening.
Provided everything he says is true, and he seems to be quite specific, it rather reinforces some theories and gives some background to Chas's picture a few posts back.

There was, before the UK joined the EEC, a consultation between the then prime minister and a senior judge on the constitutional effects of joining the EEC.
This petition is to ask parliament to debate the letter from that judge, something it would appear never happened at the time.
http://freenations.net/kilmuir-letter-petition-commons-debate/

Whatever your view In/Out, surely this should be debated.

Signed x2

Saw this today. Made interesting listening.
Provided everything he says is true, and he seems to be quite specific, it rather reinforces some theories and gives some background to Chas's picture a few posts back.

This bloke seems to have all his ducks in a row.It is a warning and is very scary
There seems to be more and more reasons to bail out and work towards
Great Britain again.

Reactions: Ben
Just had a count up.

in 15

out 17

dont know 3

A lot of forum members havnt commented on this thread, i wonder if there not bothering to vote or just dont like voicing there views in public..

Thanks CG, I was wondering what the total was the other day.

Didn't the forum used to have a proper poll function that would sit at the top of the thread page for users to just click on ?

Just had a count up.

in 15

out 17

dont know 3

A lot of forum members havnt commented on this thread, i wonder if there not bothering to vote or just dont like voicing there views in public..

Now we have the Top Posters widget it would be interesting if we could see a bigger list. The histogram would give an idea how likely it was that anyone would post and you'd know how large your sample was against typical usage.

Just got my ballot paper through in the post today...

Got my postal ballot yesterday, it got marked "LEAVE" very quickly, and promptly posted back.

OUT, OUT, OUT.

Back