Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

eu in or out poll

I fear we don't have any aces to play, Just have to wait and watch it unfold i guess.
We can wait for the appeal from the government, but at this stage the March date seems a little ambitious.
We may well have an election before anyone triggers anything.
That could be an interesting event, with the electorate split 50/50 all it takes is someone to say "we won't push the button" and then like you said it's either UKIP in charge or A N Other.
The right of the vote being split between Ukip and the Conservatives would put the the left side of the political spectrum with a much more limited choice... Labour or Green (I was gonna say Lib Dem but they've put themselves out of the frame for decades)
It's gonna be almost as much fun as Hilary/Trump.

The Queen is a very gracious lady and I feel is deserving of respect.

That she may be, she isnt IMO deserving of 36.5 million pounds a year.
She isn't deserving of an energy grant intended for her subjects who are in poverty thats for sure.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-11403544
Or maybe she isn't deserving of the 7 million Pounds of EU funding she recieves from land that her ancestors grabbed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-estate-receives-7m-farming-subsidies-EU.html
I think an altogether different referendum could be fun .... give it a century or so.

Maybe you think we should abolish the Royal family and have a republic and end up with a figurehead like Donald Trump or someone similar?

Maybe you think we should abolish the Royal family and have a republic and end up with a figurehead like Donald Trump or someone similar?

A bit extreme ...but at least you get to change them out periodically.
Democracy is like pregnancy, you either are or you aren't.
The lesser royals are even more of a drain, Here is just a single example
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-bills-taxpayer-for-4000-helicopter-ride.html
now factor in princess Eugenie and Beatrice and the third earl of ploppinton and the like, all these minor hangers on need to rely on their own enormous wealth or do what most kids do when they're a bit strapped for cash .. ASK MUMMY, after all she is worth $425 million USD in her own right.

This Andrew fella is a joke... Even if you don't like the idea of a republic, this single quote from the below article sums up why it will happen
"last year Palace accounts revealed that he had spent £325,000 on flights, including £2,939 on a helicopter to make the 120-mile round trip to Oxford, and RAF planes to St Andrews for two golfing jaunts after he was elected captain of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club last May. He also came under fire for attending a golfing dinner at St Andrews instead of joining the D-Day anniversary celebrations in France."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...icopters-like-taxis-say-officials-487934.html

You can try to defend it, but really even the most staunch of monarchists must realise this is indefensible.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That she may be, she isnt IMO deserving of 36.5 million pounds a year.
She isn't deserving of an energy grant intended for her subjects who are in poverty thats for sure.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-11403544
Or maybe she isn't deserving of the 7 million Pounds of EU funding she recieves from land that her ancestors grabbed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-estate-receives-7m-farming-subsidies-EU.html
I think an altogether different referendum could be fun .... give it a century or so.

Hope in the UK you have tradition and the queen is the foremost figure in carrying that forward.There Are no doubt losers who are skimming cream off the bucket and they need to be exposed.please don't blame the queen for the estates in her name as they are part of what separates England from the rest of the world.I would take a bet that the royals are not that enraptured in having to host at the behest of the Government some of the most despicable people who happen to be leaders of their respective countries.A good plain home meal with good company would be much more desirable.TheQueen and Prince Phillip
are great value for money and the world loves them.

Hope in the UK you have tradition and the queen is the foremost figure in carrying that forward.There Are no doubt losers who are skimming cream off the bucket and they need to be exposed.please don't blame the queen for the estates in her name as they are part of what separates England from the rest of the world.I would take a bet that the royals are not that enraptured in having to host at the behest of the Government some of the most despicable people who happen to be leaders of their respective countries.A good plain home meal with good company would be much more desirable.TheQueen and Prince Phillip
are great value for money and the world loves them.
Well said Pat, it's a pity more people don't share your view.

I fear we don't have any aces to play, Just have to wait and watch it unfold i guess.
We can wait for the appeal from the government, but at this stage the March date seems a little ambitious.
We may well have an election before anyone triggers anything.
That could be an interesting event, with the electorate split 50/50 all it takes is someone to say "we won't push the button" and then like you said it's either UKIP in charge or A N Other.
The right of the vote being split between Ukip and the Conservatives would put the the left side of the political spectrum with a much more limited choice... Labour or Green (I was gonna say Lib Dem but they've put themselves out of the frame for decades)
It's gonna be almost as much fun as Hilary/Trump.

Think about this - once article 50 is issued there is a 2 year deadline to forge a new relationship , if team Britain are all on side with a realistic goal they are in a strong position at the table when the opposition consists of 27 teams all with individual wants and woes infighting . The same kind of infighting that is making our gov weak at present .

As the deadline draws near the only strategy that remains on the table unchanged and concise is the one Britain presented on day one of negotiation .

As for the Royal family i'm no patriot however i do see value in the fact they enjoy open invite and will be fawned upon in almost any country in the world and so i reckon to rid ourselves of them would cause the country far more damage than quitting the EU ever could .

I agree but the problem is the referrendum itself has polarised the electorate, i expect its no different in political circles. This consensus needs to be found and fairly quickly would be a good thing.
Apart from it being the 5th of November the whole question of the monarchy is relevant because the leave campaign focussed on us being ruled by "unelected Eurocrats". Then that naturally draws the eye to the unelected 2nd chamber and head of state.
I've mellowed over the years in regards to the monarchy, they need to be trimmed down. 20 years ago that meant to the neck, now i'd settle to see the monarch and the heir and thats it.
Time is marching on for the monarchy, We don't have the almost cult like worship of a couple of generations ago, Who would have thought we would have had an alternative christmas speech ? Ali G, Sharon Osbourne and even the president of Iran have a rival spot on another channel, that would have impossible previously.
Now we have the topless pictures of the new princess and who know the next generation may have to "leak" a sextape to stay relevant.
They are pretty savvy and have a fantastic PR machine, they are marketing the Prince and his family in celebrity circles and magazines. In a couple of decades they'll be just like a Kardashian or a Kanye that we have to subsidise.
Then comes the republic, Not in my lifetime but it will come im sure.

I don't think the Sex Pistol's thing was the BBC disrespecting the Queen. I think they were poking fun at Andrew Rosindell who bemoans the lack of the 1950s on his TV.

I don't think the Sex Pistol's thing was the BBC disrespecting the Queen. I think they were poking fun at Andrew Rosindell who bemoans the lack of the 1950s on his TV.
It may have been the BBC's intention to mock Andrew Rosindell but at the same time it was disrespectfull to the Queen, as it was of The Police's intent when they recorded it, I think The BBC should have thought twice about doing that or maybe they did? so my original statement still stands.
Shame on Newsnight.

It may have been the BBC's intention to mock Andrew Rosindell but at the same time it was disrespectfull to the Queen, as it was of The Police's intent when they recorded it, I think The BBC should have thought twice about doing that or maybe they did? so my original statement still stands.
Shame on Newsnight.

I think she conducts herself very well and I'm happy to have her as a national figurehead. I don't think someone with a fortune gifted by, and historically taken from the people of the UK should be beyond irreverence. I would also staunchly defend the right for anyone to disagree with that.

It was the Sex Pistols by the way.

@hopeless wanderer

A sleepless night with an internet black out i was mulling over your anti royalty roll on the revolution rant (without being able to read it) while watching without interest the Trump Clinton comedy which led to some long rambling thought processes of my own and bids me to ask -

Is history repeating itself ?

Royalty of old was handed its ass on a plate by the people they ruled , nowadays the ruling class don't sit on public thrones but instead at the head of a boardroom table and hidden from public view .

With that in mind i actually started to think i hope Trump wins :confusion-shrug:

@hopeless wanderer

A sleepless night with an internet black out i was mulling over your anti royalty roll on the revolution rant (without being able to read it) while watching without interest the Trump Clinton comedy which led to some long rambling thought processes of my own and bids me to ask -

Is history repeating itself ?

Royalty of old was handed its ass on a plate by the people they ruled , nowadays the ruling class don't sit on public thrones but instead at the head of a boardroom table and hidden from public view .

With that in mind i actually started to think i hope Trump wins :confusion-shrug:

I wasn't ranting :) Get me started on the media and then i'll show you a rant.
I think they are in boardrooms and the like but our new Kings and Queens are Jay-Z and Beyonce or Kim and Kanye. The old days where the Di would wear a dress and everyone would follow the style or the King wore a wide knot on his tie and the Windsor knot became popular have long since gone. "We" emulate and admire talent show winners and people with no talent. Where are the scientists and Engineers or inventors ? Where are the artists , the writers ? Once Stephen Hawkins dies, we don't even know who will be the widely publicly recognised scientist. I bet Shakespeare was a "celeb" in his time, I imagine people would have whispered in a room "Look there's Isambard Brunel" Sadly it's Corrie actors and footballers that are lauded these days. Shakespeare could walk into a room wearing Brunel as a hat and nobody would notice.
I thought about the Trump thing today, and i feel the perfect counter to a Trump presidency would be for it to be followed by a Kanye West one. If we are going to elect pointless celebs with huge egos and even greater sense of self importance .... Kanye is the heir apparent.
But back to Brexit ... The rebellious Scots of the second verse are opposing Brexit in the courts and now May has gone to India we may well find our current free movement will be replaced by free movement from former commonwealth countries.
Worse still is whats happened to Toblerone. When will someone finally admit that our shrinking confectionary is the result of us refusing to accept "straight Banana" rules:):)

Media and celebrities are how the new leaders rule like throwing a dog a bone while you rob the house .

I guess Turkish Delight has to suffer too under the new regime :lol:

Brian Cox. With Jim Al Khalili, Marcus de Sautoy and Simon Singh snapping at his heals.

I fear that we know Brian Cox for sure but he isn't going to have the impact of his predecessors.
I do remember once they did a survey with teenagers and Churchill was thought to be a fictional character or a dog from an insurance advert and Sherlock Holmes was thought to be real ??!! Sadly this is the same generation of city kids that can't distinguish between a sheep and a cow.

I fear that we know Brian Cox for sure but he isn't going to have the impact of his predecessors.
I do remember once they did a survey with teenagers and Churchill was thought to be a fictional character or a dog from an insurance advert and Sherlock Holmes was thought to be real ??!! Sadly this is the same generation of city kids that can't distinguish between a sheep and a cow.

We are quite keen on the Chase but the lack of knowledge of history and geography of the U.K. amazes me .The school curriculums must be very slack.

Back