Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

eu in or out poll

Mine arrived today and is now crossed and ready to send back! :) vote.jpg

I think this vote will suffer the same as all other elections, apathy. Turnout will probably be a bit higher than normal, but even so it will not be representative of the country. How can 40-50% turnout be enough to decide such a big thing.

Whichever way you vote, you should by law be forced to do so, and even if you spoil your vote at least you have had your opportunity. People have died for the right to vote, and current generation is more interested in some stupid cat videos on FB.

/rant over

Currently I think I am a leaver, but as debate hots up I may yet change my mind.

stupid cat videos on FB.

I'm want to vote for more stupid cat videos but can't find it on my ballot card :(

The worst thing about this vote is the majority will vote based on what they read in the media or their mate told them down the pub rather than their own actual understanding of the issues

I'm want to vote for more stupid cat videos but can't find it on my ballot card :(

The worst thing about this vote is the majority will vote based on what they read in the media or their mate told them down the pub rather than their own actual understanding of the issues

I'm basing my vote on what I've read on Facebook. tongue-047.gif

Totally agree with TonyP on this one - how can such a major issue, that will impact us and many generations to come, be decided by a relatively small proportion of the population?

There is no turnout threshold in the UK referendum (or any UK polls for that matter). With voter apathy at current levels and the general level of indecision amongst the population, we might have a situation where turnout is as low as 30-35% and have a situation where less than 20% of the votes decides the outcome. How is that good for democracy?

Having said all that, a referendum is exactly that, a direct answer to a (political) question, nothing more, nothing less. It is in no way binding from a legal point of view and will still have to pass through the normal parliamentary channels etc. (AFAIK).

Now I may be wildly speculating here but I can imagine a situation where the turnout is (very) low and one camp wins with a very very slim majority of say 50.1%, against 49.9% for the other. That is bound to end in tears...........

I really don't think that this will lead to the outcomes that people on both sides think it will.....the law of unintended consequences and all that............ roughly this time in 3 weeks we will know the result, the outcomes however might take a little while longer. :worried:

Having said all that, a referendum is exactly that, a direct answer to a (political) question, nothing more, nothing less. It is in no way binding from a legal point of view and will still have to pass through the normal parliamentary channels etc. (AFAIK).
This is a interesting point, so even if the vote is massively in favour of leaving, this would still have to go via our political system and be ratified by the Queen? So even if the vote is to leave, we could still end up in?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Totally agree with TonyP on this one - how can such a major issue, that will impact us and many generations to come, be decided by a relatively small proportion of the population?

There is no turnout threshold in the UK referendum (or any UK polls for that matter). With voter apathy at current levels and the general level of indecision amongst the population, we might have a situation where turnout is as low as 30-35% and have a situation where less than 20% of the votes decides the outcome. How is that good for democracy?

Now I may be wildly speculating here but I can imagine a situation where the turnout is (very) low and one camp wins with a very very slim majority of say 50.1%, against 49.9% for the other. That is bound to end in tears...........

I really don't think that this will lead to the outcomes that people on both sides think it will.....the law of unintended consequences and all that............ roughly this time in 3 weeks we will know the result, the outcomes however might take a little while longer. :worried:
The man is right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_in_the_United_Kingdom

Thats not good, I hadnt thought of that! :thumbdown:

I would imagine though that if were successful in voting out and the chaos continues in Europe and gets worse which it almost certainly will, then people in the UK will demand out! :think:

For all those wearing their rose tinted glasses, things in Europe really arnt good!

Over the last few weeks there has been:

More riots in Greece.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...e-crisis-a-second-day-of-riots-in-Athens.html

Riots in Belgium.

https://www.rt.com/news/344210-police-clash-protesters-brussels/

Riots in Paris.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...down-on-paris-protests-against-labour-reforms

http://www.xyz.net.au/paris-new-lebanon/

Riots in Barcelona.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/27/barcelonas-gracia-district-braces-for-more-riots

Yet more mass sexual assaults in Germany by the rapefugees.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...usic-festival-cologne-darmstadt-a7057416.html

And the only continent with weaker economic growth than Europe is Antarctica.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ith-weaker-economic-growth-than-europe-is-an/

Reactions: Pat
I don't really believe we can get out because it will be like the manager going to his boss and whining that the workers aren't happy .

As i see it every vote for out just lends strength to Britain during the negotiations that will follow this pantomime of democracy .

So here is Pat Condell with his usual acerbic viewpoint.

I live on the other side of the world but we will be affected by this vote.
We have always had close ties with Britain,your Queen is our Queen and she is very well regarded in NZ.I did not find Mr Condell's talk acerbic but it most certainly seems to be factual.I have been associated with the transport and construction industries most of my life and up until the mid 70's UK trucks and machines figured large in our lives.The trucks were years ahead of the petrol guzzling crap that the yanks produced and I believe that if the British people want to climb the ladder again,they must go it alone,holding big
temparental sister Europes hand won't do it.From my experience of the Landcruiser Club it seems that there are an enormous amount of self reliant
folks over there so maybe that will filter through to others.
Best wishes for a good vote.Pat

I know my view isn't worth a pinch of Mosquito poop, but I reckon you UK lot should tell Brussels to buzz off.
It seems to me they are more worried about losing the UK membership for their own reason of maintaining the EU, than because it benefits the UK.
You might find the EU starts to crumble without the UK on board and with more than a few basket-case economies making up the remaining EU.
Good luck with it all.

All this leaving aside the secular, very much non-Sharia nature of Turkey's constitution. Although I concede Erdogan displayed some pro-Islamic tendancies in his earlier life.

AFAIK, Turkey is on the brink of adopting Sharia law. IMO it will be a nightmare there if it does and the end of a very successful era for them.

Reactions: Ben
AFAIK, Turkey is on the brink of adopting Sharia law. IMO it will be a nightmare there if it does and the end of a very successful era for them.

I think Erdogan is too much of an egotist to allow that. Yes the AKP have conservative leanings, but Sharia would increase the power of the clerics. And I don't think Erdogan can bear to share power. The very secular Turks I know fear a dictatorship far more than hard line Islamification. He certainly has talked about it in his past though, but I don't know they're on the brink yet.

Vote the way you want, but remaining isn't to stay in what we have, it's giving permission to take the rest away.

Back