Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

fridge...

paulm

which brand fridge/freezers do people use for overlanding trips?

i'm looking for about 50l capacity, ideally with fridge and freezer compartments.

the national luna units look fantastic, but are they worth paying a lot more than the waecos/engels?

any experiences welcome :)

thanks

If you are going to buy Waeco, we hava club discount at World of Camping which makes them 'very' competitive on Waeco products - thanks to Brett :cool:

I don't have one (yet) but I do fancy a Waeco unit. There was a 50 on eBay a few days back for £300 - check Oh, its a 70 size...

But hey...

Currently have a Waeco, previously owned a Minus 40, used an Engel, really wanted a Nat Luna 52litre weekender but the price was silly ...

All are good - abusing them will give hassles. I think the new ARB may be the new plastic Engel?

Main diff is that the engel uses the sawafuji compressor, the others all use the danfoss.

Be aware that some dual-zone units run one compressor - the freezer section 'bleeds' lower temps to the 'fridge' bit which sometimes struggles to hold temp.

I think maybe the NL 70 dual- door has a way around this. Big unit though!

Cheers

think i might have a cheeky bid on that 60 later then... i presume thats the right model?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've got an 80 litre waeco it's very good & very big!

I have an Engel MT35 with a 'Two Zone' compartment on top. It's in it's 6th season of use, has survived being moved between a number of different vehicles and has served as an extra freezer in the house during Christmas time.

It's not had a pampered life, as the vehicles it's been fitted in have been on trials all round Europe, and through corrugations in Morocco. It's always worked spot on, and never given a spot of bother.

Would I buy another Engel? Yes, their expensive, but they're worth it.

Although, if I won the lottery I'd treat myself to a National Luna fridge/freezer, but man they're big units, the whole truck would have to be redesigned to fit it in!

Cheers.

Brett said:
paulm said:
do you find its ok with single temperature?

How'd you mean?

do you find it provides enough for long trips using it either just as a fridge or just as a freezer? or is it a dual temperature jobbie?

Scott said:
I have an Engel MT35 with a 'Two Zone' compartment on top. It's in it's 6th season of use, has survived being moved between a number of different vehicles and has served as an extra freezer in the house during Christmas time.

It's not had a pampered life, as the vehicles it's been fitted in have been on trials all round Europe, and through corrugations in Morocco. It's always worked spot on, and never given a spot of bother.

Would I buy another Engel? Yes, their expensive, but they're worth it.

Although, if I won the lottery I'd treat myself to a National Luna fridge/freezer, but man they're big units, the whole truck would have to be redesigned to fit it in!

Cheers.

thanks for that scott. how high does that stand with the two zone on top? do you use the bottom as a freezer and the top as a fridge?

seems like there's a few options available. will see if anything pops up s/hand or if i get a load of overtime through :D

paulm said:
the national luna units look fantastic, but are they worth paying a lot more than the waecos/engels?

any experiences welcome :)

I did a group purchase last year of Nat Luna fridges and offered it up on here with no takers :? . I use a Nat Luna 52 weekender and its the best fridge I've used and I've used Engel/waeco/minus 40.

Freezer compartment is only 10l if you use main bit as a fridge, but keeps its temp well hence its WHO approval. Mine runs off a 75ah Optima yellow top and it will run at 2º (fridge) and -8º (freezer) for 2 days before battery needs charging. I have measured the temp with an infra red probe and it reads true to 0.5º.

There is no temp Bleed problems as Gary mentioned.

Is it worth the extra money. Yes!

Group Buy on the Nat Luna anyone as I would be in for one of there DD 74l jobbies they are the muts nuts.

If there is going to be a group buy, I would be interested in a National Luna Weekender 50-Twin :thumbup:

We are also looking for a National Luna Weekender 50-Twin. It all depents on the money.

weekender 50 twin would be my choice too, but i could do with it fairly sharpish :D

do we have any dealers on here?

I've just taken delivery of a Stainless Steel National Luna Weekender 50-Twin from APB Trading, couldn't get a deal as such although they did deliver for free as I bought a cover and mount.

First impressions are of a very well built unit that is a lot lighter than my previous Engel.

Haven't used it in anger yet but have powered it off the mains in the office and it took about 45 mins to reach -18deg with an ambient temperature of about 22 deg.

The freezer compartment runs 10 deg below the fridge compartment and doesn't have a seperate control

i went to apb a few weeks ago and they had the 50 twin on display. looked like a cracking piece of kit, and the people there were very helpful.
even opened up a eeziawn rooftent for me on a saturday when there were only two of them in...

Matt Richards said:
I've just taken delivery of a Stainless Steel National Luna Weekender 50-Twin from APB Trading, couldn't get a deal as such although they did deliver for free as I bought a cover and mount.
First impressions are of a very well built unit that is a lot lighter than my previous Engel.
Haven't used it in anger yet but have powered it off the mains in the office and it took about 45 mins to reach -18deg with an ambient temperature of about 22 deg.
The freezer compartment runs 10 deg below the fridge compartment and doesn't have a seperate control
Very nice, but How much? :pray:

Back