Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

front ARB style bumper

heres some pics of my mates ARB bumper on his hi-lux, this was my inspiration, although ive made mine a bit different.

im hoping to get the 40mm x 3mm steel tomorrow and then i can finish all the welding. then its just the tube work on the 2 corners. :thumbup:

PICT0080.jpg

PICT0083.jpg

PICT0084.jpg

PICT0085.jpg

ben said:

I agree, i wonder if anyone has ever been stopped

This is the one that just arrived for mine, its off a Pajero I think, but was the right price. It came with the warn 9k winch which i dont think has ever been used.

arb.jpg

After seeing yours i think i will mount mine high as well.

looks good and will save you a lot of work. :)

i think i underestimated quite how much work would be involved in this project, but its getting there now and i know it will be worth it when its finished. im making a rear bumper, rock sliders, and internal roll cage next, and apart from the cage, the rear bumper and sliders will be a lot easier to make than the front bumper.

i think mounting the bumper high up on mine has massively improved the look of the front of the truck by loosing the panel below the grill and the indicators.

i need to get some orange bulbs so i can wire my sidelights up as indicators and then drill a hole in the bottom of each headlight and put the side lights in there. :thumbup:

finally got some more done tonight! :dance:

first i cut my tube for the corners to length, and then proceeded to attempt to bend it. it bent ok, but unfortunatly put a few small kinks/flats in the tube where the 2 rollers had pressed into the tube. :(

a quick phone call to my mate, and i had another 8ft length of scaffold tube ready to cut up and bend. this time i had the rollers as far out as possible, and once the ram had reached its maximum on the bender, once the tube had got to about 45degrees, i used an engineering brick as a spacer, and carried on with the rollers all the way out.

this time i was successful and no flat spots on the tube. :D

i then marked and cut the angle on the end and welded the tube in place. i then did the same to the other side. so the tube work is now all done. next i need to cut bend and weld the 4mm x 3mm flat steel around the 2 centre pieces. :thumbup:

PICT0196.jpg

PICT0197.jpg

PICT0198.jpg

PICT0199.jpg

PICT0200.jpg

PICT0201.jpg

PICT0202.jpg

PICT0205.jpg

PICT0206.jpg

PICT0208.jpg

PICT0209.jpg

PICT0210.jpg

PICT0211.jpg

PICT0212.jpg

PICT0214.jpg

PICT0215.jpg

Looking good, thought this might finish it off

ben.jpg

or maybe

ben1.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That should look good, you're making a nice job of that :thumbup:

Looks the dogs bo//ox in fairness to you. my cousin was trying to talk me into it with my 90 but I dunno if I will, what with the laws etc!!!!

thanks. :thumbup:

i got some more done this week. first i clamped and welded the 40mm x 3mm flat steel in place and bent it around middle pieces.

PICT0216.jpg

PICT0217.jpg

PICT0218.jpg

PICT0220.jpg

PICT0221.jpg

PICT0223.jpg

PICT0224.jpg

PICT0226.jpg

next i marked, drilled and cut a square hole into the top of the bumper, this is so i can reach the free spool lever on top of the winch, and also see how the winch cable has wound onto the drum.

PICT0238.jpg

PICT0239.jpg

PICT0240.jpg

next i gave the whole bumper a good going over with a flap wheel disc in my grinder, before wiping the whole thing over with a cloth with celulose thinners on it to remove all the dust and oil etc.

i then gave it a good coat of red oxide primer using a 4" foam roller and paint brush.

PICT0242.jpg

PICT0244.jpg

PICT0248.jpg

PICT0249.jpg

PICT0251.jpg

im hoping to get a few coats of black tractor enamel paint on it tomorrow ready for fitting on saturday.

i will get it powder coated at some point, but i want to take my rock sliders and rear bumper to be powder coated at the same time, both of which still need making. :thumbup:

That will look good on a fire engine :twisted:

Looking v nice I must say

Gav Peter said:
Looking good dude :cool:

ben said:
i will get it powder coated at some point
If you want a good contact, gis a shout ;)

thanks Gav, that would be useful. :thumbup:

ive just been looking at your rear bumper build. it looks good and has given me a few ideas for my swing away spare wheel mount. :)

hairyguy4 said:
very impressive bumper build :thumbup: could easily be a factory jobbie :cool:

thanks. :cool:

i think ive realised why they cost so much now as theres alot of work involved in making them. although im sure ARB make all theres using CAD/CAM and proper machines for bending etc.

just going out to the garage now to give it its first coat of black, then hopefuly another one when i get home from work, ready for fitting tomorrow. :thumbup:

Looks ace, looking forward to pics of it fitted :thumbup:

all done! :dance: :dance:

i gave it 2 coats of black enamel tractor paint followed by a few coats of clear lacquer.

PICT0252.jpg

PICT0253.jpg

PICT0261.jpg

next i sorted my indicators out. i unscrewed the indicator bulb holders from the indicators and put an orange bulb in each, these then screwed straight into the side lights! couldnt have been simpler, didnt have to cut any wires at all!

still need to drill my headlights and fit my side light into them though.

im going to order some 8" wipac spotlights on monday, they should finish the bumper off nicely. :thumbup:

Jimbo4x4 said:
Looks ace, looking forward to pics of it fitted :thumbup:

here you go :twisted:

PICT0268.jpg

PICT0269.jpg

PICT0270.jpg

PICT0271.jpg

PICT0272.jpg

PICT0274.jpg

PICT0276.jpg

PICT0278.jpg

PICT0279.jpg

PICT0280.jpg

checking the tyres dont catch when articulating! (they dont. ;) )

PICT0281.jpg

PICT0282.jpg

comparing how well my copy came out.

PICT0284.jpg

PICT0286.jpg

so what do you all think?

rock sliders and rear bumper build next. :thumbup:

:thumbup: The dogs doodahs

Very smart Ben :mrgreen: You'll be having to get yourself a 20' shipping container for when you go :lol: :lol: ;)

Back