Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Globetrotter stove. Treasured posessions. Whatcha got?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well this is apropos of nothing really but just tickled that's all. I have been camping since I was a kid. I still have my very first tent and whilst still serviceable there is never going to be an occasion where I use it again. I just can't chuck it. Well, one of the bits of kit I treasured was my stove. It was an original Camping Gaz Globetrotter.

globetrotter.jpg

It went everywhere with me. Pretty sure it cost me the princely sum of £8.50 with I had to save up for of course. Well they stopped making the cartridges years ago and although I had three left, I just felt that once they'd gone, somehow I'd have to throw it out. Two things happened. I found that the longer legs off the Bluet stove fitted so I could use the larger 101 canisters so it would work is needed. And I found that they had made a new Globetrotter. Well they had, but even that was very old. It worked off the new style reusable cartridges. I bought one and got the lamp that goes with it. Never used those. Still in boxes. Well I was on e bay yesterday and couldn't believe it - 4 cartridges! Paid silly money for them, but hey, who cares. What would you pay to get your childhood back?

OK so what do you have in this sense that you have been unable to let go of. Your first pocket knife? Torch? Sub machine gun? Something that in an inanimate way is an old friend. And you can't put 'girlfriend'. That's just creepy.

Come on 'fess up. Oh if you have any cartridges yourself, give me a price ...

Chris

I still have my first motor bike that i got for my 3rd birthday its a Z50r monkey bike.
It needs a new zorst and iepect plug lead and a carb clean but should be fine. One day i will get it out not sure when.
sorry dont have any pictures its deep in the shed at my parents house.
Stu

Sorry Chris, no cartridges from me. But you remind me of my first stove as kid, a tiny petrol burning Primus, worked by warming it in your hands till a little fuel appeared at the jet, you lit it, and that was that! After a minute or two the tank would self pressurise and you had a bright blue flame roaring to cook anything you needed. Don't know where it is, but I know I didn't ditch it. It's here somewhere:lol:

Well this is apropos of nothing really but just tickled that's all. I have been camping since I was a kid. I still have my very first tent and whilst still serviceable there is never going to be an occasion where I use it again. I just can't chuck it. Well, one of the bits of kit I treasured was my stove. It was an original Camping Gaz Globetrotter.

View attachment 8910

It went everywhere with me. Pretty sure it cost me the princely sum of £8.50 with I had to save up for of course. Well they stopped making the cartridges years ago and although I had three left, I just felt that once they'd gone, somehow I'd have to throw it out. Two things happened. I found that the longer legs off the Bluet stove fitted so I could use the larger 101 canisters so it would work is needed. And I found that they had made a new Globetrotter. Well they had, but even that was very old. It worked off the new style reusable cartridges. I bought one and got the lamp that goes with it. Never used those. Still in boxes. Well I was on e bay yesterday and couldn't believe it - 4 cartridges! Paid silly money for them, but hey, who cares. What would you pay to get your childhood back?

OK so what do you have in this sense that you have been unable to let go of. Your first pocket knife? Torch? Sub machine gun? Something that in an inanimate way is an old friend. And you can't put 'girlfriend'. That's just creepy.

Come on 'fess up. Oh if you have any cartridges yourself, give me a price ...

Chris

Ah yes, my first sub-machine gun. That would be my neighbours Sten gun. Just before wars end he copped a nasty and was returned to the UK for treatment. Months later and after VE day, he took his kit, incl. the Sten down to the army stores. They duly ticked off helmet boots and battle dress etc but when it came to the gun they said that it was already accounted for and handed it back. Something to do with messing up the books. As he didn't have any kids and knowing my interest in anything mechanical, he gave it to me. His only word of warning was not to let my little finger drop into the slot where the loading pin protruded. If it did and you then pulled the trigger, exit digit.

"Cowboys and Indians" took on a whole new meaning and I slaughtered them in the thousands.:icon-cool:

Roger

Ahh the sten. The only weapon more dangerous to the person holding it than the enemy. Firing on an open bolt was never a good design. So you didn't have a stove then :lol::lol:

Stu, you on a monkey bike. I'd pay top dollar to see that now.

Chris as i said i had it when i was 3 so i have grown a bit since then.
what would be funnier would be both of us on it!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's really no answer to that Stu. Maybe next Lincomb, eh?

It will take me longer then that to dig it out. to many things i dont want to get rid off.

I would dearly love to know what became of my BMX , salvaged from a scrap yard the frame was sanded by hand to bare metal , primer , undercoat and gloss stolen from my uncles shed and every weekend i would walk 6 miles to the tip searching for more parts . By the time i had finished my mate Darren wanted to swap his Shimano £350 BMX for mine . I haven't seen it since i was about 12 and i've absolutely no idea where it went ?

Sorry to say Shayne, it was melted down to make the pans for my stove.

Actually I had (still have) a collection of Tonka toys. Mostly the Mighty Tonka series. I had the tractor and it just disappeared. I have to say that I rather think that one of my less scrupulous playmates nicked it.

Probably but i'm not gonna cry over it sticks and stones were my childhood toys so they will never be lost entirely .

I'm waiting for Chas to pipe up about his first bike being a penny farthing or some such .... !:lol:

I've already got my coat.... :?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I thought a penny farthing might be a bit modern.

Didn't take long for this thread to turn to s**t did it.

If they're any good I've got some cartridges. Say c206 190gram campingaz ones? They any good to you?

Stuff can't bring myself to ever get rid of, got a few army bits and pieces like gas mask, helmet, camouflage nets etc. Got it all from my dad and was great as a kid lol.

your right chris what was it down hill in the 4th post is that a record.
stu

I can always use 206's Gary. Load 'em up when you come for the tyres. I'll swap you tea and Jaffa for them....

I can always use 206's Gary. Load 'em up when you come for the tyres. I'll swap you tea and Jaffa for them....

I know I've got at least 2, I'll have a look in the loft and sling then in the boot. Don't fit either of my stoves anymore.
Tea and jaffa sounds good to me :icon-biggrin:

I'm waiting for Chas to pipe up about his first bike being a penny farthing or some such .... !:lol:

I've already got my coat.... :?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Clive, you are lucky you live thousands of miles away.
My first bike (motor) was a Bown the second was a Tandon, ever heard of them?

Clive, you are lucky you live thousands of miles away.
My first bike (motor) was a Bown the second was a Tandon, ever heard of them?

Bown no, but Tandon rings a bell. They made a bike similar to the BSA Bantam IIRC, an old firm going back to the 20s or 30s originally I think. A neighbour of ours when I was a kid had one I think.

I'm going to google both of these now and have a nose!

No offence with the penny farthing, shame went decimal! :lol:

Last edited:
Back