Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Globetrotter stove. Treasured posessions. Whatcha got?

Bown, was it like this?

image.jpg

All the pictures of a Bown seem to have different engines in them. Didn't they make an engine?

This is has a Villiers engine.

Bit like SAAB...:think:

Last edited:
and in the meantime, returning to the thread ......

Ignoring Chris just for the moment, my first motorbike was a 1957 BSA C10L 250cc side valve.

Coat time... :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Not really as it's a thread about things you actually OWN. :doh:

Not really as it's a thread about things you actually OWN. :doh:

I do realize that Chris, but having moved so many times and the last time by plane, it's been difficult to lug my past with me in a box. Feeling left out here...

I did own the BSA, so I'm close.

Is it hat time again? :icon-cry:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You must have something Clive. An old shaving brush, slippers, box spanner, tea pot? Suitcase maybe?

Hmm? Something that you have had for many years that is still functioning and you get great use from? Would you like to share my stove maybe?

I do have the bag of 100 year old plumbing spanners! Trouble is, the novelty's wearing a bit thin. :problem:

We could swap? :icon-biggrin:

here is one. personally no emotional attachments to it, but my landlady gave these to me when she discovered that i like camping. she said that she had them for years, but never used them and could not bear to throw them away.

100_1327.jpg

2 refills.
3 stoves... all of which worked when i tried them.
the lamp is a no go. i was considering changing the cartrige, but we live in the age of the led head torch so i left it.

Nice collection. I have some of those, but they're relatively modern. Still, be good to get a brew going on one. Why? Because you can. Look I keep telling you guys come the zombie apoxylipse, there are those who'll be ready and those who will be, well begging for help. Or stumbling around going Oaaarrrrrr.....with boits falling off. Me? Much like old Charlton H. I'll be ready with my Globetrotter. You won't be laughing then.

The little jet can block up with dirt. A quick pike with a wire strand and the lantern should be going. Make sure it has a mantle in there and sit back, wait for the next labour government and when the lights go out you'll be sitting pretty.

Bown, was it like this?

View attachment 8919

All the pictures of a Bown seem to have different engines in them. Didn't they make an engine?

This is has a Villiers engine.

Bit like SAAB...:think:

That is exactly like mine was, even the same colour, with a Villiers 150cc engine, but mine didn't have the leg guards. Thanks for finding a picture of one. Somewhere in my man cave I still have the reg plate from the front mudguard.

Last edited:
Bown no, but Tandon rings a bell. They made a bike similar to the BSA Bantam IIRC, an old firm going back to the 20s or 30s originally I think. A neighbour of ours when I was a kid had one I think.

I'm going to google both of these now and have a nose!

No offence with the penny farthing, shame went decimal! :lol:

My Tandon, Villiers 197cc, was similar to this but had all the bits to make it road legal and a double seat.
It cost me £1.50, 30 shillings in old money from a rag and bone man who I spotted with a motor bike on his barrow.

Tandon.jpg

Last edited:
My Tandon, Villiers 197cc, was similar to this but had all the bits to make it road legal and a double seat.
It cost me £1.50, 30 shillings in old money from a rag and bone man who I spotted with a motor bike on his barrow.

View attachment 8946

We'll end up being members of the "banned by Chris" club, but that little machine is cute! I'd be proud to ride that even by today's standards! :dance: It's a pity we didn't hold on to some of these things. If Chris continues complaining we'll have to start our own nostalgia thread, but I'm sure he doesn't mind really :think:

I typed in 'random picture' into the web and got this....

No seriously I did but then couldn't be arsed to post it. One of you two were bound to have a older version of the same thing, but in beige.

Jeez you guys.

This thread is done. You two are dead to me. :lol:

I typed in 'random picture' into the web and got this....

No seriously I did but then couldn't be arsed to post it. One of you two were bound to have a older version of the same thing, but in beige.

Jeez you guys.

This thread is done. You two are dead to me. :lol:

You're only jealous Chris because you only got one post offering Gaz cans. The thread's getting more exciting by the minute IMHO :laughing-rolling:

I can post more pics of my gaz cans from different angles if that helps? XD

Ok, jokes aside, back to Chris' question. Sadly I have very little that I can say comes from my childhood. When I came to this country, all I had with me was a suitcase full of clothes, £500 and a slightly bewildered look in my eye. The only thing that I had with me that was of any sentimental value was a chain/bracelet that my brother made for me out of a Honda 125 cam chain. I would post a pic, but it is past midnight and I cannot be arsed just now.

I know it is not as useful as Chris' or as cool as a motorbike, but when you leave home and a luggage capacity of 40kg's a lot has to get left behind. I still wear it now, and the only time I ever take it off is when I go swimming in the sea... Not even Japan's finest steel is a match for the sea (no don't say top gear and hilux).

And back to the camping gaz stuff. Chris, you can have them if you want them. They were given me for nothing, and I feel you will appreciate them more than I will, so you can have them for what I paid for them.

A sad tale indeed Ian. Yep, chain bracelet that qualifies as it could double as a survival saw on a desert island. Very kind offer on the stoves etc, but alas I don't really think I have a use for them. I am back up to 13 stoves again as it is. Just having picked up another brand new Coleman double burner petrol unit to go with the new vehicle. Been sitting in someone's shed for years, untouched. But they shouldn't be just disposed of. They work and work well. Someone should use those. Jetboil? Pah who needs a Jetboil?

C

Back