Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

hairyguy's kzj70 build

Re: attacking the dreaded rust bug

I,m guessing your front bumper was originally for a landy of some description and you,ve modified it.if so how close does it line up to the toyota chassis rails.much chopping about needed.i only ask cos you just dont find winch bumpers on e bay for our motors so i,m resigned to grabbing a landy one and cutting it to fit.cheers

rikm777 said:
I,m guessing your front bumper was originally for a landy of some description and you,ve modified it.if so how close does it line up to the toyota chassis rails.much chopping about needed.i only ask cos you just dont find winch bumpers on e bay for our motors so i,m resigned to grabbing a landy one and cutting it to fit.cheers

yep its a defender one, so long as you can do a bit of cutting and welding its not that much work really

Roger Fairclough said:
It's looking good but there is one mod. that, in my opinion, really improves the back end, and that is to move the number plate upwards. You take off the lamp assembly, junk the inboard mounting and fit the outer lamp assembly to the "creased" area just below the Toyota motif. It fits easily with just 3 holes to drill. Then have a square no. plate made up, and stick in place with double sided tape.

Roger

PS If someone tells me how to post pictures, I will show you what mine looks like.

ive done the same with mine. :thumbup:

IMAG0005.jpg

cheers,yeh the cutting and welding,s not a problem.that bumper suits the motor well.

Just a couple of pictures of my 70 series to give an idea of the front bumper, the back bumperettes and the number plate set up.

Roger

P3030003.jpg

P3030004.jpg

cool number plate Roger.were your bumpers both custom made for your motor?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I have had that number for over 40 years. The first time I transferred it, it cost £5. Know it's up to £80.

I made both the front and back bumpers.

Roger

How do you get away with the front number plate on an MOT Roger?

They will not pass it round here and the police would pull you for it.

In theory, a number plate must be vertically mounted and set on a flat plane at 90 deg. to the centre line of the car. Also the letters and numbers must be visible from an angle of 45 deg. each side.

In reality, very few number plate positions would comply with those rules. To combat the illegal manufacture and use of fraudulent plates, it is necessary to produce your driving licence and log book for the vehicle in question before a dealer will make up the plates. Each plate must comply with regards to spacing and reflective qualities of the material, it must clearly show the name of the company that made it and the relevant British Standard it complies with.

My front plate obviously breaks a number of the rules regarding it's position but it does comply with regards to the rest. I have never been refused an MoT because of it and the police have never shown any interest in it. On one occasion, I queried the legality of the plate with the guy who did my MoT's and he said that as it was not safety related, he was not bothered.

I suppose it all comes down to local politics as to what will and will not be allowed but as the car makers must consider the position of the plates to be a pain in the neck because they interfere with the flowing lines they are trying to achieve, maybe most areas allow a degree of variance, just as long as the plate is visible.

Roger

I had a sticker plate on my old SJ and never had any trouble. AFAIK you can no longer legally fit them, but if they were fitted before the cut-off date (I don't know when this is) then they can stay on and are legal.. You can still buy the backgrounds and letters/numbers seperately and make up your own - this isn't kosher, but who's going to be able to prove it wasn't fitted before the cut-off date?

Jim.

There's a number of us with plates like yours Roger, me included, & I have never been stopped but have yet to go through an MOT with it IIRC...

Hell, if this is the best they can do, what's the world coming to??? (Retorical question at best ...)

Back to the thread, I have to say, I've always liked the SWB 70 - your LWB too Jimster ;) - & I like what you're doing here Rik; looks the danglies :cool:

Your's looks great too Roger - vay sharp :cool:

Right, back to my side of the forum - sorry to intrude :lol:

Jimbo4x4 said:
I had a sticker plate on my old SJ and never had any trouble. AFAIK you can no longer legally fit them, but if they were fitted before the cut-off date (I don't know when this is) then they can stay on and are legal.. You can still buy the backgrounds and letters/numbers seperately and make up your own - this isn't kosher, but who's going to be able to prove it wasn't fitted before the cut-off date?

Jim.

I bought mine Jim as a made up plate.

Roger

Oh yeah, luvin' your work Hairy :cool:

It's gonner be a Post office 4x4 for snowbound rural areas. :clap: :clap:

Roger

Roger Fairclough said:
It's gonner be a Post office 4x4 for snowbound rural areas. :clap: :clap:

Roger

lol would be great if they did have em

gave it a test run at 4x4withoutaclub today, did fooking brill :thumbup:

06032011609.jpg

oh and whats this i spy?? ;)

06032011605.jpg

is a mate who bought it so very pleased that i may ot own it but i get to see it though, is absofookinglutely spotless, not a speck of rust anywhere

Oh what a small world eh :lol:

Happy days

Beaut' of a 73 there, jealous! Your 70's looking very smart too mate ;)

Number plates: I think the problem i have is I use the same garage for all my MOT's so he has seen my cars several times, also in my country the police use strange things to pull you over. I was once done for "using a vehicle with a dangerous front bar support". 3 points and £100 fine. That was a mates mini cooper with the bumper removed.

The number plate rule changed in September 2001 so we have a British Standard for number plates to satisfy the EU?

The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and reflectivity.

The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the following information:

* The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
* The name, trademark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier (The company that made the plate)
* Name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

Other options:

* A non-reflective border
* Euro-symbol with national identification letters, later changed to have country flags

The other thing is it is illegal to make a numberplate that is not to these standards. Some are sold as a "Show plate" and clearly states it cannot be used on a vehicle however the buying person has to sign to say they will not use it on the road.

Now you may all say "Who gives a dam", but some say your insurance can be void if you knowingly fit an illegal number plate.

I spoke to one of my Police mates and they pull over several vehicles a day with illegal plates and give a warning, if its not changed they fine them.

So if i can find a place to make the stick on plates I will fit one and simple add the real one on MOT day

Roger: Where did you get yours?

Hairyguy4: I love the plate in your picture (on the screen), where did you get it.... :thumbup:

Back