Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I'm back - it lives!!

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well, after a Herculean weekend, Scott and I swapped the two transmissions over between the burned out 80 and the new silver one.

I can't thank Scott enough for the company, help, knowledge, stories and just plain good banter. But mostly for simply coming up all the way from Essex to help me out.

It went pretty smoothly really. We had a couple of sticking points where we lost time on stupid bolts here and there, but we learned a great deal taking two out and so when it came to putting the good on back in we were pro's.

All coupled up, tools away and then a quick blast down the road. Well. it goes better then my old white one! Sounds great, goes like stink! OK some issues to resolve. CD doesn't seem to lock and I wonder if it's the 4x4 ECU as nothing worked on it before, one rear brake binding very badly, swivels leaking blah blah. Nothing major. Need to swap suspension over asap, but now that it's running, these things are minor issues. Taken best bits from GW and grafted them into the silver one. Here are a few random pics. Not very exciting, but you know what, we were a tad busy to take more. Looks like tomorrow will be a full day trying to get MOT deal breakers sorted first.

Scott, you are a trooper!

Chris

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

very very well done guys :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

god I bet you feel a million dollars after what you have gone through

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can't wait to see it on the road. Well done guys.
you should have a top Cruiser there Chris.

Andy

Great stuff Chris, we'll all look forward to seeing it at Lincomb :clap: :clap:

Very cool Chris!

Sent from TapaTalk

Good effort - especially for a driveway transmission swap!
like the engine crane too

must be such a relief to get the silver crusier moving and GW transmission working still after fire

Well done, guys :thumbup: Great news - the new combined GW/Silver streak will be a great truck :mrgreen:

Well done Chris :thumbup: :clap: That is some serious engine hoist you got there, never seen one that big :shock:

Well done Chris, bet that feels good now she lives, got withdrawel symptoms with mine now, not driven it for two weeks, can't wait for your injectors to arrive which will hopefully cure mine.

Joinerman

Well done guys..... to take on the job is one thing, but from start to finish in one weekend :o

One question, how did you get to the top bellhousing bolts... when I took my motor out the head was already off so reaching them from the top was fairly easy.

Thanks everyone. Having a big push on MOT items. Just been interrupted so many times to day, all I have managed so far is a rear brake rebuild. Something about Mother's day?

Got everything in a pile basically and it's just a slog stripping and refitting. Rusty rear callipers? No problem, whack on a spare set! Will take tomorrow off I think and really go for it. Should have suspension swapped, brakes done front axles rebuilt at least.

Bat - just read your post - we used a set of wobble bars the first time to reach about 3 feet from the back of the car up and over the transmission and onto the bolt head. Damn difficult. Second time we sussed it. You simply got through the gear selector hole inside the cabin, along the transmission onto the bolt. Really easy. Didn't think that it would work, but it did.

Chris

Chris said:
Well, after a Herculean weekend, Scott and I swapped the two transmissions over between the burned out 80 and the new silver one.

I can't thank Scott enough for the company, help, knowledge, stories and just plain good banter. But mostly for simply coming up all the way from Essex to help me out.

Scott, you are a trooper!

Chris
Your very welcome Chris, your a main member of this forum and contribute a lot with your posts, as well as helping others, so you deserve a little help in return. As I've said to you, I had the equipment, tools and experience to be of help, and was fortunate that it fell well time wise, so that I could free up a couple of days to give you hand. I know you weren't round the corner, but whats a cruiser for, if not cruising up to help a friend in need? Besides, I gave it the beans on the way home and got back in a little over 3hrs, so it wasn't too far.

I was pleased we managed to get so much done on the Friday as by the end I'd been up for 32hrs! Fridays efforts had us in a good position to have a functioning cruiser by the end of the second day.

It was great to see the silver cruiser have its first proper test drive in so many years!

Rob said:
That is some serious engine hoist you got there, never seen one that big :shock:
AndyCook said:
Good effort - especially for a driveway transmission swap!
like the engine crane too

must be such a relief to get the silver crusier moving and GW transmission working still after fire
Cheers guys, I knew this job would be much easier with the crane and load leveler, they have paid for themselves many times over! It didn't even struggle lifting GW's engine out (at the 11th hour by flood light!), which I was pleased about.

Yes it was smiles all round when Chris selected drive and the 80 was off down the drive :thumbup:

Chris said:
Having a big push on MOT items. Just been interrupted so many times to day, all I have managed so far is a rear brake rebuild.
Got everything in a pile basically and it's just a slog stripping and refitting. Rusty rear callipers? No problem, whack on a spare set! Will take tomorrow off I think and really go for it. Should have suspension swapped, brakes done front axles rebuilt at least.

Chris
Keep up the good work Chris, your going to have a great cruiser at the end of this, that engine is a real peach!

Good luck, and all the best.

Scott.

Cheers Fella. Just in off the drive. Phew. Dodging showers, I have managed to get some things done. But those front hubs need a major steam clean. They are covered half inch deep in some sort of horrible grease. Not something that has come from the housings, it must have been applied! Basting them in a home-made cocktail of things at the minute trying to get back to metal. Front calipers look salvageable, but it's only two bolts and my old ones from the white one are off and on again. I am not fannying around. Oil leaking from the swivels so clearly seals have gone, but it would appear as though the end caps have not been off the axles, looks like virgin territory there. CVs didn't click last night when I locked it round.

So it turns out that it has stood for 8 years. Not driven since 2003. Had a replacement transmission at some point from a scrapper (hey Karl, ever sell a box to a lass in Waltham Cross :doh: ) rear discs were paper thin with nearly new pads in - go figure, fronts are fine with good pads in too. But caliper bodies are like old cannon balls. Chassis good, springs alright, dampers f*****, body good, interior good, tyres cracked a bit, alloys reasonable x 5, engine - how do you spell doozie? Err, some wet in foot well, need to check sunroof drains, not much happening in 4x4 dept. No CDL yet suspect the ECU might have water in. Auto box, well we know that's a good un, few instruments / guages etc not working yet. But look, find me an 80 in perfect condition that runs well and needs no work for £3500 and I'll buy it. OK watch some smart arse go and find me one now. OK there are more out there, but it's a reducing pool and you have to grab one when you can, eh? I might actually end up with a slightly better cruiser than GW at the end of all this.

Lincomb? You can put money on it!!!

Chris

Every times something has gone wrong around me in any area of my life, that which replaces it was always better than the thing that got messed up/ lost broken, taken, destroyed...

I suspect it'll be the same for you too.

Dont suppose you can just pull the front axle off GW (i cant recall extent of damage that close to the fire...)

Good luck. Bet you sleep well tonight!

And well done Scott too.

Back