Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I'm back - it lives!!

I guess I could. But it's not an ideal one man job. I might get into difficulties with, say the radius arm bolts, that make me wish I hadn't started! It's toss of a coin really. I have all the parts in stock. I'm keeping the front axle anyway. So if all else fails ...

Chris

I think you will find the radius arm bolts come undone easier than you think.
I've done a fair few and never had a difficult one yet.

Andy

The front axle looks pretty much untouched. If you wanted to make 100% sure you'd have to open it up to replace the hub seal and wheel bearing grease, but I do doubt that the heat would have penetrated the metal components enough to have caused any damage.

The engine has got seriously hot, the auto box was bolted to the back of it, and apart from some blackening due to smoke, you wouldn't even know that it had been in the fire. The torque converter looked untouched. We also had to open it up to fit the throttle position sensor, and the oil was in perfect condition. The heat went up, so the boxes and axles seem to have survived almost untouched.

Unfortunately I had to be in East London for 1am, otherwise I'd have stayed another day and used the crane to strip the axles off of GW, and if needed slot them under the silver 80, complete with the suspension.

In reality it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, Chris has experience of stripping and rebuilding 80 axles, so he could have the axles on the silver 80 all sorted in a pretty quick time anyway. The silver one has such low miles that it shouldn't be worn out, it's just stood a long time, and had some monkeys doing some 'improvised' servicing on it!

Either way, it's going to end up being one sweet truck.

What was swapped over? Just the box or did you take the ECU from GW as well?

Hi one and all. Well, took the day off today and went for it. All brakes rebuilt / replaced, swapped rear discs, got most of the suspension off, cleaned and rebuilt the front hubs and axles - managed to slice through the ABS loom so I had to replace that whilst I was at it. And a host of other various tinkerings. It really starting to come together now. Not going shooting this weekend now so that I can get a good run at it and get to the MOT in good time. I'm leaving all the little fixit jobs that don't have a bearing on the MOT to later.

Absolutely knackered now. Rained on and off all day, been lying in oil, dropped the truck off the jack twice (not dangerously - just awkwardly).

Need to fit springs and dampers next and bleed brakes though and then I'll be pretty close.

No Crispin, I didn't swap the ECU. Always looked like the box to me, and it was.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Magnificent effort Chris. Sounds like you've broken it's back and are othe home straight.

I am amazed how much you can get though in a short space of time... I can just about managed to replace the break pads in a day :whistle:

Lads, it's getting so close I can almost taste it. Garden looks like something from a Mad Max movie but the flow of parts from one to the other has almost stopped. Brakes to bleed and then we're down to one or two lamps that aren't working in a couple of switches. Next job is sticking things back on like steps, winch etc and we're good to go. Log book came to day so I know I must be close.

P1000314.jpg

Piles of scrap everywhere although I think I'll keep the old springs this time.
P1000319.jpg

P1000316.jpg

Actually these dampers look better than Paddy's!! :shock:
P1000317.jpg

This isn't Great White anymore. It's just a shell, a husk.
P1000315.jpg

But this on the other hand....

P1000318.jpg

Vroom vroom

Chris

Sheesh, when did the knackers move into you yard!

Nice one Chris..., old silver is looking really good!

Bravo...

Mate thats a heck of job, well done...

I take the whole day just to change the oil....

Silver one Looking very sweet. :clap:

Lucky you've got room for two Cruisers on your drive, I could only get one on mine. To get done what you've done in such a short time deserves great respect, well done Chris :thumbup:

lawn could do with a mow though. Starting to look like Gary's driveway :mrgreen:

Well done Chris, can honestly say I would not have had the balls (brains and staying-power) to do something like this...

:clap: That's a job well done, Chris - I take my hat off to you for the amount of work you've done in a very short space of time.

Looking at your engine-shaped anchor....presumably you'll need to do the BEBs on the new truck? I guess the BEBs are toast from GW or at least worn-in too much to be redeployed?
What shape was the a/c compressor in before its baking? Wondering if it can be reused?

Cheers,

Excellent work Chris! The 80 is really starting to look good now, the new suspension has made the world of difference to the overall appearance. I think your going to get a lot of 'pats on the back' when you rock up at Lincomb in the new 80.

I see the engine is where we left it!

Good luck, the end is so close, you can almost reach out and touch it.

Cheers Scot. Not quite over the finish line yet though. Still having problems. Damn those brakes. Put a brand new genuine master cyl on there today and I am still getting pedal creep.

Andrew - AC pump? You are joking. The temp was so high under there that the aluminium was actually burning. No way am I stripping the block to get the bebs out. I shall buy new and start again but as it's only done 69k I won't be rushing to get that done just yet.

I have basically tried to do in three weeks what I did in twelve. I might try for an MOT tomorrow and just say WTF. If it fails it fails, but at least I shall know on what. Went out for a good drive around the local lanes tonight just t bed in the brakes and see how it runs. Other than the brakes, it really is very very good. Tonnes more umph than GW ever had.

Engine not getting hot though. Temp gauge low and there is no pressure in the rad. No loss of fluid, no bubbles etc, nothing from exhaust. But top pipe not that hot. Wondering about water pump. Might the vanes have rotted off?

C

That was another thought. Wouldn't surprise me. Picked up a new one from the dealer the other day as it was always going to be a service part. £18!!!! Anyway, chances are it's stuffed I guess. Pretty old and been sitting there for some long while. I will flush the rad out when I am up and running.

Chris

Chris, could be worth trying to get the ABS pump to operate by driving at speed on a loose/gravel surface then braking hard, then try rebleeding the brakes. again.

Thanks Dave, Julian sort of indicated something like that. Been out tonight and unfortunately the ABS system kept faulting!! I have swapped a rear sensor and it looks like it might have cured it. Will see tomorrow.

That's the sort of help I need though. Pedal seems hard now with engine off but as soon as it runing I get that creep to the floor with the pedal.

Chris

Back