Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

im opening a campsite!

If not on mains, water supply and septic tank up to the job ? I have a friend who rents out a couple of yurts, busy most of the time and served by a composting toilet, single seater, seems to work well and a bit of a novelty too.

Great idea, especially in your location Mike!

It’s all been said as far as I’m concerned,

Best of luck:thumbup:

Maybe do a trial run with the club?

I am sure there are a couple of members who would be interested!
I would be interested too, it's less than 200 miles from me, loos and showers would be a must.

Don't forget to make sure you set the price right to cover costs... I work on a caravan park/site over here and have done my time cleaning...

To clean Ladies and gents (3x showers each side, 2 toilets + urinal in the gents and 4 toilets in the ladies, as well as 4 sinks each side) thoroughly once a week was about 2hrs.... that includes scrubbing the shower walls, all the floors and hosing out. Daily clean was an hour to do it properly (refilling toilet rolls, hand towel and soap.)

great idea! Showers and loo's (composting probably easiest) but dont just target 4x4's - Possibly have a 4x4 area and motorhome/caravan patch with some hard standing/gravel bases. Stop them all churning your field up when it rains :). No need for a shop - the local one will come to you with Fresh bread, bacon etc each morning. Are there many green lanes near you? perhaps you can advertise on 'other 4x4' club sites and organise weekend lane drives?
Alternativly, come to France, buy me out so I can retire :laughing:

Sounds good to me best of luck with it! I'd be happy to come along not a million miles from me neither

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds perfect CG. Where do I sign? I don't need much of an excuse to set up camp.

Fab idea.
The missus' prime requirement is a toilet block and shower. As said, proper fire pit area is a good idea otherwise cocks will be lighting them everywhere. Unfortunately there are an awful lot of cocks out there so you have to have rules because people are incapable of regulating themselves.
A workshop could cover vehicles and bikes for the biking brigade and is a great idea.

We go to a place in Pembrokeshire that is perfect in my opinion - private camping pitches so you're on your own, they have fire circles and bri-stands on each site. Super relaxed atmosphere. Every pitch is a shortish walk to a immaculate shower block. There is free fire wood, and he had an outside pizza oven which he has a gathering at once a week where you can make your own pizzas and chat with similar people. The only real rule is to respect other campers and not have loud noise late, although because they are private pitches you'd have to be pretty noisy for the sound to travel. They charge £35 ish for a private pitch and are booked solid especially in the holidays.

Set up something like this in the Peak and you'll be laughing I would think.

Once your sorted we'll def be along to visit for a few nights. If you need someone to test the set-up before you open we'd also gladly assist (although i'm sure most would too) as we are pretty close to you.

Good luck with this venture. I really hope it works and if i'm honest I really think it could.

Perfect timing, I need to test out our new tent.

Oh man. So cool.

A workshop is a great move. But do the numbers well. Associating the camp site with a story and a focused activity like that will get you a ton of attention. Just need to regulate it. And need it have enough appeal to make it worthwhile to a large enough audience.

Another thing is themed activities on site, at points in time. For example... an outdoor film-a-thon weekend, 2 movies back to back... a summer evening, with the option to camp overnight. Get a bbq on the side... couple of revenue options.

So build a camp site, and every now and again, sell an experience.

We would definitely support it.

I really like the ideas and suggestions that are coming out on this one.

Get in touch the DofE Wild Country panel and see if you can get listed as a new campsite for them, especially if there's a good selection of footpaths etc nearby. The good thing about getting on the Wild Country Panel listings is that you'll only get Gold groups or good Silver groups - so at least 15 years old with accompanying adults.

Have a look at some Glamping options as well... they might go down well.

See if there's a local bush craft person who might want to use the site as a base for training camps etc, or might do an evening session in the summer for interested people.

One thing I liked about the Aussie campsites out West (NSW and QLD) is that they did camp dinners - camp ovens of stew/casserole served with potato and damper. Normally $5-10 per person, good size first round and seconds were often available as well!

well, what a fantastic response. being so many I cant individually reply to them all, so thank you all very much for the support and feed back. I have read every ones reply at least three times. some excellent ideas. I thought I had most things covered, but I was no where near!
it will be a creep and go approach due to time/ finances and we will be doing all the work ourselves. starting with draining the field.

roll on spring!
thanks again!:thumbup:

well, what a fantastic response. being so many I cant individually reply to them all, so thank you all very much for the support and feed back. I have read every ones reply at least three times. some excellent ideas. I thought I had most things covered, but I was no where near!
it will be a creep and go approach due to time/ finances and we will be doing all the work ourselves. starting with draining the field.

roll on spring!
thanks again!:thumbup:
Let us know when the grand opening will be and we'll turn up in force, a Cruiser Cavalcade.

Sounds interesting. I too prefer to wild camp so I hate having lots of campers on top of me, a bit of space and peace please.

Back