Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

im opening a campsite!

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
chomping at the bit now, I'm just waiting for the weather to pick up.
we live in, what I think at least, to be a fantastic area. right on the edge of the peak district. close to alton towers, surrounded by some superb country pubs and restaurants.
its going to be very landcruiser friendly too... parts, workshop etc but all in good time..

I'm not punting for business, I'm asking for opinions on campsites. personally, and probable like most people on here I like to wild camp in the middle of no where, if I don't have a camp fire of an evening, a few beers and a great sunset I feel some what cheated.

so that's what I'm aiming to re create..

all thoughts and opinions appreciated.

From my experiences of camping in Africa and Australia, what makes a camping pitch for me is a concrete fire pit and/or braai, and a shower with donkey boiler. The smells of wood when having a semi-outdoor shower in piping hot water is brilliant.

Main thing for me is having a shower block and flexibility about where/how people camp. Most of us have cooking and toilet facilities of some sort, only the long haul overland guys have proper washing facilities - so if you can provide a good site, with loos and showers, all good. I wouldn't offer electric hook ups, that immediately puts you in the mainstream motorhome market. Just my 2p. If you get going I guarantee we'll come visit for a few nights ;-)

Have to agree on the campfire thing. I holiday twice a year at a favourite C&C Club site near Loch Lomond but their sites are over regulated now IMO. Fires haven't been allowed for some time now and last October I was even denied a grass pitch as the LC was "too heavy for the grass". 2wd cars were allowed and when I pointed out that the LC was 4wd and had large section tyres which meant virtually zero likelihood of damage to the turf, it fell on deaf ears.

How far are you from Tittesworth reservoir CG?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Good luck with it man! Go for it!:thumbup:
thanks mate, the bottom line is ive been doing this building/ joinery thing since I was 16. I'm now 41. its taking its toll..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Main thing for me is having a shower block and flexibility about where/how people camp. Most of us have cooking and toilet facilities of some sort, only the long haul overland guys have proper washing facilities - so if you can provide a good site, with loos and showers, all good. I wouldn't offer electric hook ups, that immediately puts you in the mainstream motorhome market. Just my 2p. If you get going I guarantee we'll come visit for a few nights ;-)
cheers dave. your very welcome and theres obviously going to be discount for club members. the very nature of the location will make sure it doesn't feel commercial.

Have to agree on the campfire thing. I holiday twice a year at a favourite C&C Club site near Loch Lomond but their sites are over regulated now IMO. Fires haven't been allowed for some time now and last October I was even denied a grass pitch as the LC was "too heavy for the grass". 2wd cars were allowed and when I pointed out that the LC was 4wd and had large section tyres which meant virtually zero likelihood of damage to the turf, it fell on deaf ears.

How far are you from Tittesworth reservoir CG?
10 mins tp. we are west facing and overlook it, you get the very last of the sun as it sinks over wales. not been in for a bit but will at the lazy trout runs a good pub.

its just beneath the veil of mist

morridge 002.jpg

Work out who your target market is, and why they are your target market.

An example is the pub not far from my parents, they are near some really good mountain biking and have added a small bike shop. Next bit along is the camping with some pods set into the hillside and then tent camping at the bottom on the flats. Have built some showers and a bike wash for them.

The challenge is what the council will allow you to do... I'd have a look on some of the bushcraft forums to see how their camps are set up.

Work out who your target market is, and why they are your target market.

An example is the pub not far from my parents, they are near some really good mountain biking and have added a small bike shop. Next bit along is the camping with some pods set into the hillside and then tent camping at the bottom on the flats. Have built some showers and a bike wash for them.

The challenge is what the council will allow you to do... I'd have a look on some of the bushcraft forums to see how their camps are set up.
Thanks ed.
There is a lot of mountain biking in the area.
i used to be a keen mountain biker

I'd say good luck with the venture, its a great idea and we'd love to support it for weekends away.

Sounds like an exciting venture in what looks like a great location, it should sell itself if people can find it. So a web site with pics and proximity to pubs, lists of dog walks and cycle tracks etc. Showers and toilets essential - agree with fire pits but would not ban children. Out if school holidays they will be few and far between so can be avoided if necessary. Small “shop” with essential dried or tinned food plus bread and milk may be handy or be able to order it for next day.
Best of luck.

Maybe do a trial run with the club?

I am sure there are a couple of members who would be interested!

Back