Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

im opening a campsite!

Are you able to share the exact location with us so we can take a look and give you ideas?

fantastic news CG and congratulations!

I'd be well up for a "grand opening" camping weekend.. should make for some lovely photos for the website too.

How do you get it listed with GPS/satnav systems. I think auto routing people to your door is a valuable marketing aid.

Hi and good look with it when r you haveing a cruiser weekends hope it all goes well for you :thumbup:

How about running some laning trips from there? Or at least posting up to date info on lanes. It's a fantastic place to get out and about as long as you respect the rules.

Sounds interesting. I too prefer to wild camp so I hate having lots of campers on top of me, a bit of space and peace please.
that's my train of thought. no muppets, peace and quite. not over crowded.
tbh this took a bit of thought. my family live where they do because they value the quality of life it gives them. hidden away, no one walking past your front door, no neighbors moaning. actually being able to see the stars in the sky.. its not for everyone but we love it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks tony:thumbup:

that's a good idea chris. I spent over ten years mountain biking in the peaks and know a large number of the trails, hence the name. as I said it will be creep and go. start with the basics and grow it from there.

Of course. I can certainly see the attraction for people coming some way to see the Peak and stay over in a camping out style as part of the trip, provided with all that they need and info on lanes etc. all you need is a nice little off road section close by where they can fill their boots!

chomping at the bit now, I'm just waiting for the weather to pick up............

I'm late to the party, but what a fantastic opportunity. As with a lot of other folk here, I like to rough camp it, preferably with my hammock, with an open fire heating my gumbo pot! Wishing you all the best with this venture Chapel Gate. A thing to consider, if you have people willing to help out not to far from you, ask for volunteer's to help out too. As with GLASS, I'm always willing to help out with things nearby. You're bound to have people with appropriate skills, tools etc. who may lend a hand......barn raising style :)

I once worked on a farm occasionally that was slowly becoming a campsite , the biggest problem was good soil gets very wet and sloppy with traffic and so called in to sort it cheap we dug a few small holes in the field and tied perforated drainage pipe to a mole plow and dragged it towards the fall of the land . It worked .

https://store.jdpipes.co.uk/160mm-p...MI0KeVisGR2QIVqr3tCh00VACbEAYYAiABEgLgR_D_BwE

upload_2018-2-6_14-36-53.jpeg

Last edited:
How many pitches do you think you may be having CG? And when will you be opening?

Well done CG, I wish you every success in the venture
Never been to the Peak District...... yet!!!
Sounds like I need to buy a tent, and come visit with the rest of the club :icon-biggrin:

I once worked on a farm occasionally that was slowly becoming a campsite , the biggest problem was good soil gets very wet and sloppy with traffic and so called in to sort it cheap we dug a few small holes in the field and tied perforated drainage pipe to a mole plow and dragged it towards the fall of the land . It worked .

https://store.jdpipes.co.uk/160mm-p...MI0KeVisGR2QIVqr3tCh00VACbEAYYAiABEgLgR_D_BwE

View attachment 140099
You could slso consider soil stabilisation matting. You lay and peg it down on the top and let the grass grow through. Might be useful for the heavier used areas at least.

Last edited:
thanks for the link shane, I did look into mole plowing, iirc it needed re doing every 5 years ish?
id sort of set my mind on doing it once and doing it for ever, herringbone pattern 3' deep, 12"bucket, filled with 1" clean about 12" off the surface? the biggest cost would be the backfill, we have a old jcb 308 and a even older 3 ton dumper.
How many pitches do you think you may be having CG? And when will you be opening?
at the moment I'm going with the caravan and camping clubs guide line of 5 vans or motor homes and 10 tents iirc. I wont put myself under the pressure of an opening date yet as ive already got a lot on this year.

Checkout Glenlough campsite , must be going on for 20 years ago we did it and as far as i'm aware its never been re-done . It's just a soak away is all assisting nature do what it does if you like , gravel back fill is obviously better but cost and time well that's your call .

Are you going to affiliate the site with one of the clubs?

Checkout Glenlough campsite , must be going on for 20 years ago we did it and as far as i'm aware its never been re-done . It's just a soak away is all assisting nature do what it does if you like , gravel back fill is obviously better but cost and time well that's your call .
if it works and its cheaper I'm all for it shane.

Back