Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Its beginning to bite !!

TBH with prices seeming to be only going one direction I'm tempted to start battleship refuelling (i.e. top up whenever its convenient, rather than waiting til I'm running on empty).

Andy are Keyfuels or similar bunkering services no good to you I know its the initial outlay that can hurt but it's the same as having your own tank and pump but without the associated health and safety cowpat

Our local just lifted to £1.79 a litre....

We've recently moved to a house without mains gas and use oil. When we first put in the offer in Jun, oil was around 50p a litre. We're about to run out and forced to pay £1.23+VAT :(

It's going to hurt a bit.....

When I bought my bungalow it was 9 PPL, when covid kicked in it went doen to 22p. Bought my last delivery at 69p. the saving grace with oil is that once you've got it you can choose how fast you use it and there is no standing charge. There's never been gas in the property.

you've got it you can choose how fast you use it
SWAMBO enters the chat......

I choose nothing :(

On the plus side, my neighbour has woods with lots of felled trees and supplies me with wood. We're standing around the fire :)

Just got my new gas prices... Fuck me it's gonna hurt....

Can't wait for the electricity prices to land

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220310-211426.jpg
    Screenshot_20220310-211426.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 34
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
fuck.

We got stung with electric in the move. Our electric only jumped to 41.5p/unit. Currently sitting at £393 a month :(

Already planning next solar install.

They look very similar to our new charges. The sc for gas went up 1.11 ppd but for electric it went up from 26.82 to 48.2 p/day and 19.89 to 27.35 p/kwh! I get why the unit charge has gone up but why has the daily sc almost doubled? It's b******s!

I had a delivery of 2,250 litres of 28-sec Kerosene on 14th Feb, I paid £0.6868/litre which I thought was a lot (£1,600-ish). Phew, for once I was lucky.

That should last us until the Autumn, hopefully things will have settled back down by then (wishful thinking).

I could have taken more (total capacity of 3,700 litres in two tanks) but above 2,300 litres the VAT goes from 5% to 20% (Bastards !).

I am on a fixed tariff for electricity and I can't remember when it ends. Scottish Power adverts tell us all their power comes from renewables, but I guess the price is tied to some base price somewhere rather than when the wind blows or the sun shines. I'm paying £79 per month at present.

I don't have solar panels; the main roof is oriented East/West and at the time the pay-back was attractive I was sheltered by trees. The trees are mostly gone now - as is the Government's financial incentive :doh:.

Pawns, that's what we are.

Bob.

£193.9 for diesel at the local Shell garage. Bonanza time for the oil companies, Saudi Arabia thinking about increasing production, no decision yet though.

I had a delivery of 2,250 litres of 28-sec Kerosene on 14th Feb, I paid £0.6868/litre which I thought was a lot (£1,600-ish). Phew, for once I was lucky.

That should last us until the Autumn, hopefully things will have settled back down by then (wishful thinking).

I could have taken more (total capacity of 3,700 litres in two tanks) but above 2,300 litres the VAT goes from 5% to 20% (Bastards !).

I am on a fixed tariff for electricity and I can't remember when it ends. Scottish Power adverts tell us all their power comes from renewables, but I guess the price is tied to some base price somewhere rather than when the wind blows or the sun shines. I'm paying £79 per month at present.

I don't have solar panels; the main roof is oriented East/West and at the time the pay-back was attractive I was sheltered by trees. The trees are mostly gone now - as is the Government's financial incentive :doh:.

Pawns, that's what we are.

Bob.

you get through a lot of oil Bob, 2250l for 8-9 months ?
we use about 1300-1400l a year. But our usage plummeted about 12 yrs ago when we got a woodburner and use it a lot, all day when at home in winter.

and are Solar system we’ve had 11yrs, has a diverter box that sends excess generated leccy to the hot water immersion heater which also cuts down on the oil the Rayburn uses.
we get around £2k income a year from the solar power now, the income paid off the install cost a few years ago.

you get through a lot of oil Bob, 2250l for 8-9 months ?

Well, I'm hoping it will go a bit further than Autumn.

Large old Farmhouse - 6 bedrooms with around 25 radiators and a 1970s Potterton boiler the size of a ship's engine :doh:.

The heating is on for 1.5 hours in the morning and 2.0 hours in the evening. We wear a lot of jumpers!

I'm looking into ground heat pumps but from what I hear from people who have them they are not very efficient.

I really don't want to go electric.

Decisions . . Decisions.

Bob.

I'm certainly not a wood burner fan, I want to walk into the house and press an "on" button but I think they're becoming more popular round here. We have quite a bit of woodland round us, all Council or common land and I've noticed more people filling their cars with dead wood recently. A good source of cheap fuel I suppose but it makes quite a bit of smoke.

2+2=5 Bob but i've lived in many unheatable houses , high ceiling victorian with 3ft thick stone walls and a vast empty space under the floorboards mostly . So when she bought a dyson heater fan just to dry washing with it registered with me how much faster it heats an easy to heat house than the radiators do in a wish i had one then kind of way .

Not cheap to run or buy but i wonder now if i was back in one of those iceboxes how efficient one of the 12v diesel heaters would be if it was set up to recycle warm air within the house .

I'm looking into ground heat pumps but from what I hear from people who have them they are not very efficient.

I've looked into these quote a bit with various companies coming to check. It seems they are very good if you have a well insulated house.
Mine is old converted barn with high ceilings etc. None of them would recommend their products :(

My understanding is they only heat to about 50C which is too low for radiators and only suitable for underfloor heating but that is not suitable for a large open and drafty space.

Would be interesting to see if you've any other info which might make sense?

efficient one of the 12v diesel heaters
Run them on red diesel to help :)

Noooo the tank is rusty it just looks red :whistle:

A glass roof on the porch might make a difference to , a greenhouse is never cold .

Last edited:
Im glad iv got an open fire in the Lounge, And a wood burner in the Kitchen/ Dinner area, (where we spend most of our time).. and an Industrial Estate near by with any amount of unwanted Pallets...... I have Two working Legs, Half a brain, Chain Saw's, I know how to Skin Rabbits and Dress Pheasants,... I think il be 'Allreet'... "Bring it on Putin" :lol: ........

We wear a lot of jumpers!
Similar situation here, haven't resorted to thermal Long Johns with a flap in the back yet, but tempted at times. Thick stone walls keep the wind out but not much good at keeping the heat in, external/internal insulation possible but it's early days for some systems locally installed and a few problems reported. Looked into ground source (including borehole...expensive for depth needed) and air source, but have heard mixed opinions by users, extra back up needed and not ideal for here. Looking at diy ground mounted PV panels, still got to work out practicality, cost etc. but might be the way to go for us. Had to cut down quite a few Ash trees due to die back, so a good pile of logs for the stove at the moment. New plantings in but will be quite a while before coppicing possible.

A glass roof on the porch might make a difference to , a greenhouse is never cold .

Don't know about that. We've had a conservatory with a clear glass (plexiglass?) roof for years and in Winter, even with the radiator or full, it's an ice box. We used to keep the beers in there. On a hot sunny Summer's day you could bake bread. We had the roof changed last year with a fully insulated, tiled replacement and the difference is massive. The beers now have to go in the shed!

2+2=5 means its just an idea , i figure the dyson works so well and so fast because in 5 minutes its heating the air it already warmed .

12V diesel heaters we put outside to warm cold air coming in but in a fixed position you could choose where inlet and outlet went and only the exhaust must run outside .

Back