Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's hdj81

Hi Iwan thanks for the pics 2 top jobs you r not to bad on the green oak it's a big :thumbup::clap:.

There must be some weight in that timber-work there Iwan.

Lovely bit of carpentry, it’s a shame to cover it up.... :lol:

:clap::clap::clap:

It's heavy work guys no shadow of a dowt, but am well accustomed to this work as I've done it for myself since 2001.

The main thing is... the more time you invest in a piece of timber the more care you need to take so if a mistake is made then you loose all the effort that you've made before... plus you've lost a valuable piece and you have to wait to get a replacement at your expense!

My main concern is that, when I get to my late 50's early 60's then this job could/will knacker me out quicker than doing a less heavy job.

At some point I am going to have to reinvent myself work/income wise! This is my dilemma..:think:

It's heavy work guys no shadow of a dowt, but am well accustomed to this work as I've done it for myself since 2001.

The main thing is... the more time you invest in a piece of timber the more care you need to take so if a mistake is made then you loose all the effort that you've made before... plus you've lost a valuable piece and you have to wait to get a replacement at your expense!

My main concern is that, when I get to my late 50's early 60's then this job could/will knacker me out quicker than doing a less heavy job.

At some point I am going to have to reinvent myself work/income wise! This is my dilemma..:think:

You could start a Land Cruiser museum Iwan, you’ve got a healthy line-up to show :lol:

Lol, there's only a couple that don't need work doing to them!

Which reminds me to get into a project soon!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well that was a very painless mot test! Twas the same lad who did it last time, plenty of questions of the extra bits underneath! Got one advisory "Rear registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread!"=QUOTE]

Oh been so busy that I've only just realised that we're out of MOT on this one! Since 10/10/18.... been running like a dream so not a lot needed, so next weekend a good goin over and back to the mot bay!

Where does the time go? :think::thumbup:

Long time no see here! TBH the 81 has been pretty much faultless and definitely the right machine to drive on a daily basis! But over the last couple of weeks have experienced vibration over 50mph or so.

Had the issue of a click when raising the clutch, which was down to the rear prop uj being shot. But after changing it, there was still vibration (scuffing) over the same speed.

The roads were dry and after turning into a carpark, I looked at the front tyres and they showed that every other tread block on the inside of both front tyres were dark black (wearing) visibly, that's not right.

So this morning I took the plunge and removed the viscous coupling.

P1010549.JPG

Easy enough to get and do.
P1010550.JPG

This coconut in the middle is the VC, circlip in the middle will remove it. If you've gone into this on the rhs in the pic there's spacer ring (s) (still in place there)that you need not to displace it when you refit etc.

Struggling to load any more pics....

So from driving after, there's no vibration over 60mph but the road is wet, there still could be something there.

LC80/1 is a hell of a good machine! :think::thumbup:

So after getting a polite notice from the fuzz about my tyres being outside of the fenders.. Last night decided to have a good look at the supplied paperwork. A bit of a shock to be honest because if the problem of the tyres is not rectified by 14 days.. the vehicle will be collected and scrapped! Deemed unroadworthy! So this morning I was up early to let's say "do something about this!"
I have the arch trims from the very rotten 24v, and after looking at aftermarket abs plastic arch trims, some too expensive and some with a delivery time of a month and made from Chinesium!

Only way to go to fit the dark green 24v ones..
P1010849.JPG

At first fit I really like the look!

P1010850.JPG

This is the exact reason why I removed them in the first place! The wing is hidden and I will now have no idea of whats going on under the fender flares! Got no choice now but will be removing them annually to get a good look underneath..

P1010854.JPG

Diggin the new look! like it a lot! Looks like a proper 80 again! Lol

Very interested in seeing how by using the 24v arches that the fixing holes don't align with the original 12v holes! Completely different I noticed!

P1010852.JPG

Good fit on the passenger side! The dark green is quite acceptable against the black too. Happy with that!

The only arch trim that I don't have is the uk drivers side rear and would be better to be a 24v one to match the 24v drivers rear door part.. Anyone got one they'd be able to supply!

It's funny how-

A :- I'm refitting the arches
B:- Once again saving the truck from being scrapped!

Hopefully be getting this sorted and getting the paperwork stamped by my mot centre and returned back to them a week before the deadline.

Be carefull not to go on motorways without the wheel arch trims and using big off set tyres! You'll get away with it for so long but you run the risk of putting your truck in jeopardy of being confiscated and officially scrapped! Like the dark cloud thats hanging over my truck!

Going to get this sorted out this week!:thumbup:

There's a full set of good black ones i my back yard if you drive to Barry .

There's a full set of good black ones i my back yard if you drive to Barry .

Yo Shayne, I'd be keen to take you up on them! Especially if the fixings are good.. I'll send you a PM to see when's convenient for you and hook up soon!

Thanks man :thumbup:

I’ve just had to remove all my auxiliary light bar lighting under the threat of cancelling my registration...
I’ve been warned 3 or 4 times, and they can cancel it on the roadside.
That would be a nightmare to have to get it re-registered, and they know it.

looking good with the flares on Iwan, I put them on mine simply because every window got plastered with each wet bit of offroad... couldn’t see a thing :lol:

My understanding was so long as additional lights have a separate switch (so they can be used off road) its fine ?

Though police told us that when everyone had replica rally cars with huge spotlights ?

I’ve just had to remove all my auxiliary light bar lighting under the threat of cancelling my registration...
I’ve been warned 3 or 4 times, and they can cancel it on the roadside.
That would be a nightmare to have to get it re-registered, and they know it.

looking good with the flares on Iwan, I put them on mine simply because every window got plastered with each wet bit of offroad... couldn’t see a thing :lol:

Indeed man! When you have the changes to the vehicle, you can get into some trouble from the so called strong arm lol! Too be honest I've also been getting quite annoyed by the visual appearance of a muddy truck and the poor visability through the glass! I just cleaned the mirrors and the section of the front widows that lets you see through the mirrors! :lol:

Thanks to Shayne for the offer of his redundant arch flares from his 80 and am going to solder in his tunit v-vp tuning box into his ecu wiring on his kzj90 and be very interesting to see the added difference to the performance!

All is good!:thumbup:

My understanding was so long as additional lights have a separate switch (so they can be used off road) its fine ?

Though police told us that when everyone had replica rally cars with huge spotlights ?

Now Shayne, remember you’re in the UK where the police are only interested if you’re causing a nuisance, being dangerous or breaking the law.

Here, they work on the concept of what you might do, not what you do, so lighting has to be 100% stock, compliant with the approved homologation of the vehicle.

assoles

and now they’re bringing in serious city emissions restrictions.

sigh

Aye it's a bugger Clive!!:icon-sad:

P1010858.JPG

Am loaded up with a 10 hole template to get the rear flares fitted over the weekend.. Getting there with it!

P1010855.JPG

Am itching to get into the new 81... first time managed to capture rain!

P1010856.JPG

So the last time it was running fine and dandy, was parked up over night. When started up the following morning it was misfiring and smoking a compression test has shown up that there's no compression on cylinder no 5. Curiosity has led me to look at any difference that no 5 has externally to the other cylinder's.

The only difference I can see is that there's an extra big glow plug for no 5 in the inlet manifold! Seen between the engine oil dip stick and the auto dip stick.

Left me thinking if it had full glow on it's last fatal startup??? Seems a bit too much of a coincidence that no 5 has the problem and the big glow plug situated there! :think:

Anyone come across this one?:thumbup:

Well had a bit of a hell of a time with the four part rear arches..

P1010861.JPG

Took a drive down to South Wales to catch up with Shayne and truly many thanks for the missing flares! Cheers mate

P1010860.JPG

After looking at how "flimsy" the mounts are! (don't mean to offend) But the 24v ones are not quite on a par of the 12v ones... So I glued up the mounts with the equivalent of araldite 2 part epoxy glue and reinforced all the mounts with a fibre glass kit! Rock solid with the result of this!

P1010863.JPG

Got them on and have the relevant paperwork in the post, all good! Happy days!:thumbup: With a sigh of relief!

Back