Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser 95 with 1KZ-TE -> Severe Engine issues

SafariTecPeter

Country Flag
norway
Hello All!

I need to get some help on this & shed some light on a dark situation.

I have a `98 Land Cruiser J9 with 230`000km on the clock. 1KZ-TE Engine & Autobox.
The following is vital; Car was driven by someone else & he said he had "driven it hard" (no tow) down what You guys would call a Motorway. Uncertain for how long, but the speed was aboce 150km/h... Don`t know what revs...
Upon pulling over, the engine developed a very bad metallic knock. I told him to discontinue the trip & we picked up the car on by trailer. No deviation in cooling water nor oil level.
The car had been fueled while being "out there".

Brought it home, the engine still knocks as if it was going out of fashion.

So here is what I have done so far;
Drained & filteres engine oil. New oil filer. Found no contamination in the above suggesting fi a shot con rod bearing
Fresh diesel with conditioner & fuel filter. Old fuel filter was full of "gooo"
All injectors are OK, the get fuel. No seriouse know comming from either injector.
Timing checked-> OK
Cam inspected-> No deviation visable
All Fluid levels are stabile, I do not recon the head is gone (leaking/cracked)
I have driven it with the knock, the power seems to be there even if I did not "give it hard"....
Fault codes checked & cleared ECU. Nothing
Measured all sensors on injection pump-> They are fine
Also tested the TCV, its definately working.
There is very little to suggest the flex plate is bust, but I can`t rule it out....

I can`t pinpoint where the metallic knock is comming from.
As I can`t pull the oilpan without lifting the engine, this has been put on hold for now.
I have been hesitant to pull the head "just for fun".... At least for know I still can move the car around (vital)

I would really really appreciate some good hints & clues on what else tolook for before I break out the engine hoist...
PRETTY PLEASE :)

Thanks Guys!

My first thought was pistons but that would be a first i think . Being optimistic the wrong grade of fuel would bugger up timing even if it was set right , you say you changed the fuel but have you ran it long enough to let the new stuff through ?

150km or 93mph is perfectly feasible for these trucks so might actually have done some good with regards to blowing out the carbon layers of crap the egr allows to build up which might make the engine sound different .

Any vibration ?

I am being hopeful but before the more pessimistic guesses come in might it be an idea to post a vid so the guys have something to base their ideas on ?

Hi, do you know for sure what fuel was put in? Was it filled with diesel for the Diesel engine or did it get filled up with petrol?

I'm really hoping it isn't big ends but as Shayne suggests, a vid would possibly be helpful.

Hi!

Forgot to mention that the engine is chipped, not that it should matter but still.

The tank was nearly empty when it came in/back.
The guy who filled it, states he is 100% sure he filled diesel. I did too have that thought.
Well, with what I drained from the filter & the new stuff in, there can`t be much if any petrol in it.
For now I would rule it out.
What I can`t rule out, is that IF there has been petrol in it, it MAY have buggered up an injector or pump.
Then again there is no particular rattel or similar from the pump.

No vibrations. None worth mentioning that is..... She is, apart from the metallic rattle, fairly sound.

Was just underneight her again.From below the sound is "stronger" more to the free end of the engine.

As for the speed; Abt 90-95miles is what was stated... Do bear in mind we VERY rarely & never rarely drive this fast in Norway. If the oil has not been up to it`s task, the warm weather & the "extra" strain on it due to "heavy load" then it may have sheared a bearing :-(

Will do my best to try & post a clip

So lets see if this works!
Please excuse the rough video shot by my cellphone :-0 Especially the wind....

Now I'm no mechanic but that sounds like bottom end damage to me.

Has it ever been run low on oil? even if oil level was ok on inspection that does discount it previously being run low on oil.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What has happened in the past 230K Kilometers before it landed on my doorstep is hard to tell.
It has a service history from a dealership, but the car in not overly well maintained/loved....

I am too leaning towards a bottom end issue...
When I have had such enignes oin the past, they do tend to tell a tale on the oil...
The oil on this one was good when I drained it & it had been there for a good while (was due for service) but level was within.

Due to the way the engine is sitting, there is no chance to drop the oilpan without taking out the engine....

Still hoping for a miracle :)

It sounds viscous but it does remind me of the noise easy start or egr cleaner can produce which would have me wanting to rule out fuel related issues before pulling the truck apart .

Did your friend notice any noise at speed or was it only revealed when he came to a stop ?

Unsure how I am to understand "viscous" Shayne :think:

The noise was noticed after having gone down the motorway @ speed & when they pulled over for ice cream...

As for fuel, there is not that much more to look for unless I strip the thing.

Which end of the EGR would make that noise then You recon?

I am all ears & would prefer an easy solution rather thhan lifting out the lump...
Not scared of the work by far, just don`t have the time right now :-(

Spelling error i meant viscious as in violent .

The EGR cleaner i mention is sprayed into the intake and its a bit like adding a little petrol to the fuel mix .

Does the exhaust smoke at all ?

What i am thinking is the fuel may have been adjusted by the previous owner and the "Italian tune up" it was given by your friend might have left the fuel air ratio way out of spec . You can adjust fueling at the pump .

Or how about pulling the glow plugs to make sure the tips are still attached .

The engine starts, stops as it should & ran very well until last WE.
When it came in it did stink abit of unburnt diesel when ideling cold. Not unheard of on these cars
Absolutely no smoke or other running issues besides the hard knock....

EGR I could pull & clean. Fair enough.
I doubt it will clear the knock tbh

The tune/chip is in our hemisphere rather well know, KCR Box.
I would need to check how it is wired to see if I could disconnect it & run it untuned. It has crossed my mind YES.

As for the glowplugs; My thinking is that if I measure their resitance & this is OK, the they should be undamaged.

Id unclip the 'tuning box' first - its not rechipped, its a device which makes the engine think its still cold and so add in extra fuel mix.

It sounds mechanical to me, bottom end.

pete

Thanks!
Quit a few tips are leaning towards the bottom end indeed.
Which means-> Lump must come out.

IF it is the bottom end, Are parts from Milner worth the effort or shall I look elsewhere??
Do the pistons come out through the bottom or only through the top?
I have not wrenches this engine`s bottom in the past.

I just went out to test it; There si NO difference what so ever in how the engine sounds running with or without the tune box. I recon we can rule out the tune as the bad boy :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with the egr i can't see how that would make the noise i only mentioned it because the aerosol egr cleaner spray i use occasionally can make the engine knock like that if you spray too much in at once .

I have often wondered how this stuff WYN23381.png can make a sound like a piston wants to come through the rocker cover if its not used with caution .

And i can only guess because it speeds up revs that it hurries the combustion process and ignites the fuel before full compression is reached .

Whether or not the same could occur because of a poor air fuel ratio i don't know but when it only takes a minute to turn fuel up or down its worth experimenting with before removing the engine .

Ahh, the famouse aerosol can.
Much like "start gas"... makes the fumes on the combustion chamber ignite way prior to TDC...
I see the point reg backing up the fuel. Then again why should it "all of a sudden" come out of spec....??:confusion-confused:

I can't see why it would either but what do you have to lose other than two minutes to try it ?

I do see where you are comming from Shayne

Might just give it a tweak tomorrow.
Any pointers of how muchg tweak @ a time?

I use the flat side of the 7mm hex nut as a guide . To turn it down is anti clockwise . Hex has 5 sides so i will turn it until one side is parallel to the engine and then try it . If no joy turn it until the next side is parallel and so on .
Mark it so you can put it back where it was if you need to .

Do you know where the screw/nut is hidden ?

Back