Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Led lights and unconnected pipes

Rich. many times ive had to do things to get out of situations in the truck. Inline filter wiuld be worth putting on if needed. Many people wouldnt have a clue how to overcome issues on a cruiser when they are in the sxxt. putting a bit of fuel through a pump with no filter is less likely to cause an issue than running a truck with the pick up totally blocked or the main filter blocked. It puts a huge amount of strain on the pump.

Sorry for the thread hi jack Steve.

Its fine karl, if your in the middle of no where, I'd personally use a piece of tshirt between the pipe bypassing the filter, if the fuel filter had taken a s##t , its going to get most the big chunks but then again Im going to run two filters.

Last edited:
Rich. many times ive had to do things to get out of situations in the truck. Inline filter wiuld be worth putting on if needed. Many people wouldnt have a clue how to overcome issues on a cruiser when they are in the sxxt. putting a bit of fuel through a pump with no filter is less likely to cause an issue than running a truck with the pick up totally blocked or the main filter blocked. It puts a huge amount of strain on the pump.

Sorry for the thread hi jack Steve.
Absolutely. But with a plugged filter that cr@p could end up in the IP plugging internal filters and stranding the truck again. I’m more saying this for others reading this really as I know I don’t need to teach either of you to suck eggs.

Its fine karl, if your in the middle of no where, I'd personally use a piece of tshirt between the pipe bypassing the filter, if the fuel filter had taken a s##t , its going to get most the big chunks but then again Im going to run two filters.
The thing is Steve, it’s the microscopic particles that can quickly wreck an injection pump. The tolerances inside are in the order of microns to be able to move metal on metal with no fuel leakage as there are no seals. A score down the piston and cylinder can render an IP as good as useless.

The thing is Steve, it’s the microscopic particles that can quickly wreck an injection pump. The tolerances inside are in the order of microns to be able to move metal on metal with no fuel leakage as there are no seals. A score down the piston and cylinder can render an IP as good as useless.
exactly. then theres the injectors..

the truck wouldn't actually run if the fuel pick up pipe or fuel filter were totally blocked. so you wouldn't be driving around putting strain on the pump.
if the fuel was that contaminated to block a fuel filter in between service intervals it would be utter madness to bypass the filter.

with correct maintenance there shouldn't be a problem.

if the diaphragm in the filter housing starts to fail and begins to let air into the system its for the most part gradual and not catastrophic, so enough warning is given to sort the problem before leaving you stranded.
if its that much of a concern, carry a spare filter housing. they are small and not that expensive.
yes, i stock them..:)
by all means carry a bit of spare fuel hose if a corroded hard line begins to let in air, but I for one would never be running any motor without a fuel filter.

In the middle of a desert with 100 miles to the nearest water and only 2 litres left if I was unprepared, and bypassing the filter was the only option I’d do it and hope my luck was in but only as a last resort. I guess the greatest chance of this in an overlanding scenario is a plugged fuel filter from cr@p fuel in some far flung place. At that point you’d start thinking you should’ve brought spares.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Indeed.
Even then if the fuel was that suspect I'd be running it through a 10 micron paper cone filter first.
We have some in the workshop. They sit in a funnel nicely and even stop water going through.

The amount of trucks that i have had that have been running with virtually blocked pick up filter is crazy. 99 out of 100 owners have never heard of the issue of them blocking. the fuel pump is havimg to work 100 times harder to try and get fuel to the engine. peesonally i think this is one of the main reasons for pump fail.

I also stock the filter housings.

I dont know anyone who carries a spare apart from.myself.

Indeed.
Even then if the fuel was that suspect I'd be running it through a 10 micron paper cone filter first.
We have some in the workshop. They sit in a funnel nicely and even stop water going through.
Bit like those used for home brew eh Mike… ? :)

I’m guessing if you’re going overlanding to far flung places where there’s likely to be dirty fuel then preparations would be made in advance to take spares, and a filtered filler funnel would be a must I would have thought.
Steve’s use of two filters, presumably the glass bowl type Pre filter fitted to cruisers that are sold into Africa and the like seems a good bet. You can see the cr@p in the glass bowl then.

Don’t those paper filters take forever to drain through though? They always did when my dad made his wine. :confusion-waiting: It always struck me that it was only the bit at the bottom where the funnel constricts to a tube that actually did the filtering. There must be some sort of cage type support or something that would enable the whole filter to drain rather than just be up against the inside of the funnel.

The amount of trucks that i have had that have been running with virtually blocked pick up filter is crazy. 99 out of 100 owners have never heard of the issue of them blocking. the fuel pump is havimg to work 100 times harder to try and get fuel to the engine. peesonally i think this is one of the main reasons for pump fail.

I also stock the filter housings.

I dont know anyone who carries a spare apart from.myself.
Pumps generally don’t like working with too much restriction on the suction. It causes cavitation and I guess could suck air in through a seal designed for pressure with the fuel line under more of a vacuum than just to pull in fuel. Hmmm, probably a good call for all to check the pick up pipe sock. I’ve never looked at mine. :whistle:

@StarCruiser The second filter I've gone for is basically this they sell a cheaper version for an 80 on Aus Ebay, I personally carry a complete filter kit (oil, fuel) when I'm anywhere off the beaten track just in case.

Interesting site. I like Aus made products they’re good and solid. I had a look at their power distribution panel and it’s a bit on the pricey side at over $3000 Aus. Wow! Nice kit though.

There are other manufacturers of pdus that are way cheaper. BTW just looked at the kit and it comes with this filter so personally I'd save the cash and make the bracket myself if I where to do it again.

Off there now. :). I do love rooting Round a good Chandler’s

So went to fit the dual filter kit they sent me and drumroll, they sent the wrong bracket. So asked for a refund and they have given me a full refund and don't want the kit back. So going to have to knock up a bracket now. Thinking of fitting it next to the current filter anyone done this already?

So went to fit the dual filter kit they sent me and drumroll, they sent the wrong bracket. So asked for a refund and they have given me a full refund and don't want the kit back. So going to have to knock up a bracket now. Thinking of fitting it next to the current filter anyone done this already?

Make sure you have enough space to get the filter out and the bolt out of the top.

I fitted something almost exactly the same as that in mine. I wanted the possibility to have not only secondary filtration and separation but an immediate back up filter too in the case of problems such as contamination. In Morocco I decided to run through the Delphi filter for the first time. All seemed well until I found that I couldn't get much more then 55 mph without fuel starvation. As soon as I swapped back the problem disappeared.

In the end I removed it. ON examination, it didn't seem as thought he filter was the restriction. It was more as though flow through the head section was somehow limited.

Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 12.20.50.jpg

Aux filter painted.jpg

On construction sites years ago they used to use huge funnels with brass gauze filters in their bottoms to fill the trucks with. I acquired 2 lol. They mostly stop water just letting the fuel through.

Back