Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lincomb Sat 15th - Sun 16th October

An 80 or a winch Andy :think: shall i flip a coin ? Thanks again :thumbup:

Tom got it in his 80, he came in a different way......and was disqualified for not making the return deadline!

I think the punches you mean were elsewhere

Shayne, an 80 with a winch.......just to pull others out tho

I thought that was number 5. It was five and thirteen that no one had got, if i remember correctly. There were plenty that i hadn't got.

Thanks Rosy , and "Badass Grandpa" Marie :lol: ah come on i was just driving the babysitter :eusa-whistle:

haha, that was meant to be a mark of respect.. i would have been a bucket of nerves making that climb but your cool and calm recovery was impressive.

It made me chuckle Rosy :thumbup:

As your just starting with the off road thing dare i say there is something to learn from my predicament given you were there to see it .

Fact is i wasn't stuck , but when gravity and spinning wheels started turning the truck , the weight of the engine wanting to go down first it was time to surrender . Had i been alone i would have reversed back to safety and i'm fairly confident i would have made it unscathed .

However with a step behind me on one side and a fallen tree on the other and no run off space at the bottom i could see a vague potential for things to go wrong in a big way very quickly .

Ultimately i decided why risk it when the 45th winch cavalry surround me . No glory in that but hey i got to drive home without regrets .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It made me chuckle Rosy :thumbup:

As your just starting with the off road thing dare i say there is something to learn from my predicament given you were there to see it .

Fact is i wasn't stuck , but when gravity and spinning wheels started turning the truck , the weight of the engine wanting to go down first it was time to surrender . Had i been alone i would have reversed back to safety and i'm fairly confident i would have made it unscathed .

However with a step behind me on one side and a fallen tree on the other and no run off space at the bottom i could see a vague potential for things to go wrong in a big way very quickly .

Ultimately i decided why risk it when the 45th winch cavalry surround me . No glory in that but hey i got to drive home without regrets .

Of course, I wasn't there, but reading Shayne's account of events, and applying my own experiences, many being out on the mountain alone, on many occasions discretion really is the better part of valour!

All too many times do you think, yes I can do this, I know it's narrow and I know there's a slippery cross-fall, and a ditch, but I'm sure....

Then you think again, yes OK, but what if... all the what-if's run through your mind and add up, it's then you should choose wisely, especially when you're on your own.

Shayne says he could have reversed, but reversing on tricky ground is twice as unpredictable compared with going forwards. Braking (for example) in reverse is almost non existent. Same wheels, same tyres, same brakes, but their effect is almost nil in reverse, the front wheels lock up and you keep sliding in a way that doesn't happen going forwards.

Can be very scary stuff. watch any amount of "fails" on Youtube 4x4 vids and the majority of fails are someone reversing down steep inclines... badly and crashing, rolling over, all the things you wouldn't think would happen on a track you'd just driven up with no bother at all.

My conclusion is never be afraid to say no, there's no disgrace in being safe. Always have the intention, but think well ahead and if the good doesn't outweigh the bad by a significant margin, then play safe.

Not everyone has learned this yet, and too many won't get another chance.

full?d=1474145698.jpg

This stone is dedicated to a young guy out on the mountain on a reasonably safe track. Chas and Shayne have both driven it with me a few times so they know it's not dangerous. This photo is taken from my window with my truck on the track. It's a few meters away.

But this guy wanted to turn around and reversed off the track a little too far. He just had time to "hold" it on the brakes long enough to shout to his wife and 2 kids to jump clear, (which they did quite safely) before it took him down the slope backward to his death.

It does happen.

Last edited:
Of course, I wasn't there, but reading Shayne's account of events, and applying my own experiences, many being out on the mountain alone, on many occasions discretion really is the better part of valour!

All too many times do you think, yes I can do this, I know it's narrow and I know there's a slippery cross-fall, and a ditch, but I'm sure....

Then you think again, yes OK, but what if... all the what-if's run through your mind and add up, it's then you should choose wisely, especially when you're on your own.

Shayne says he could have reversed, but reversing on tricky ground is twice as unpredictable compared with going forwards. Braking (for example) in reverse is almost non existent. Same wheels, same tyres, same brakes, but their effect is almost nil in reverse, the front wheels lock up and you keep sliding in a way that doesn't happen going forwards.

Can be very scary stuff. watch any amount of "fails" on Youtube 4x4 vids and the majority of fails are someone reversing down steep inclines... badly and crashing, rolling over, all the things you wouldn't think would happen on a track you'd just driven up with no bother at all.

My conclusion is never be afraid to say no, there's no disgrace in being safe. Always have the intention, but think well ahead and if the good doesn't outweigh the bad by a significant margin, then play safe.

Not everyone has learned this yet, and too many won't get another chance.

View attachment 109472

This stone is dedicated to a young guy out on the mountain on a reasonably safe track. Chas and Shayne have both driven it with me a few times so they know it's not dangerous. This photo is taken from my window with my truck on the track. It's a few meters away.

But this guy wanted to turn around and reversed off the track a little too far. He just had time to "hold" it on the brakes long enough to shout to his wife and 2 kids to jump clear, (which they did quite safely) before it took him down the slope backward to his death.

It does happen.

Sobering stuff Clive and and rightfully so.. As @Shayne mentioned we have only just started our journey so there is much to learn. I will admit failing an ascent and having to backtrack is one manoeuvre that I don't look forward to rehearsing. As you say, a good proportion of YouTube fails begin with the dim glow of reversing lights!

Sobering stuff Clive and and rightfully so.. As @Shayne mentioned we have only just started our journey so there is much to learn. I will admit failing an ascent and having to backtrack is one manoeuvre that I don't look forward to rehearsing. As you say, a good proportion of YouTube fails begin with the dim glow of reversing lights!

I didn't mean my post to be so morbid, but until it happens to you, it's hard to realize quite how precarious reversing down an incline can be.

However, like anything else that needs practice, when the conditions are right, practice it so that when needed in a tight spot, you're already half way there! I really like being in low with everything locked up when it's wet damp and slippery. Feet off everything and let the truck run straight Using engine brake. It sounds easy but it's not!

This Offroad malarkey is some 80% practice and experience, 10% kit and bolt on goodies and 10% luck or fortune. You can perm any of the combinations, but they're all in there.

I've done quite a lot of it, and I still feel like a newbie on many occasions. :? :lol:

I wasn't in mortal danger mate my truck might have got scratched is all , besides heaven doesn't want me and hell's afraid i will take over so only avoided having to walk home :icon-wink:

Somber stuff from Clive yet he's up that mountain all the time so he is not aiming to deter you . I tend to go at things no retreat no surrender because that's where grin factor lies and you will be amazed where your truck will go if you give it a chance to show you . We are just saying when things don't go to plan trust your instinct because as Clive says discretion is the better part of valour

I wasn't in mortal danger mate my truck might have got scratched is all , besides heaven doesn't want me and hell's afraid i will take over so only avoided having to walk home :icon-wink:

Ha ha, a quote like that doesn't need your signature, it's got Shayne written all the way through it like Blackpool rock :lol:

It was tragic to see that stone though, it was new in August this year, the incident happened in a July I think and it was very dry then.

This Offroad malarkey is some 80% practice and experience, 10% kit and bolt on goodies and 10% luck or fortune. You can perm any of the combinations, but they're all in there.

I've done quite a lot of it, and I still feel like a newbie on many occasions. :? :lol:

I can't call myself experienced so i work to a different formula to you Clive , lets say 50% common sense 25% grit and 25% luck seems to work for me :icon-biggrin:

I really like being in low with everything locked up when it's wet damp and slippery. Feet off everything and let the truck run straight Using engine brake. It sounds easy but it's not!

This Offroad malarkey is some 80% practice and experience, …

I had never truly been off road until I joined 4x4 Response and attended their training day. First thing they covered was a failed hill climb. Exactly as you describe it Clive with the exception of everything being locked. Not to say that's wrong mind, it was just they were dealing with all sorts of vehicles at the time.

The manual gearbox - stalled engine method was interesting. With engine off, low range Reverse gear, feet off and the truck should hold on the engine. A quick flick of the starter then sets you in motion.

Back