Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Thanks Clive. :thumbup:

Just had some great news that the world record attempt has been put back to November due to all the rain central Australia has had! :dance:

So I should now be able to get the time off work and it gives me 4 months to save up some dollars and get LJ's new rear springs and the aircon install finished! :cool:

Lexi.

Lexi has been having more play dates with her friend.

IMG_0909_zpshpjtdike.jpg

IMG_0912_zps0wkfzxqd.jpg

They even had a beach trip as the weather has been sensational!

IMG_1012_zpsuzx1rns1.jpg

IMG_1088_zpsoru85oo7.jpg

IMG_1090_zpsr0aksh7r.jpg

IMG_1093_zpsfm9sghke.jpg

IMG_1106_zpskx5aej5l.jpg

IMG_1113_zpscrdbk7gi.jpg

IMG_1117_zpsu0vca2u4.jpg

IMG_1118_zpsvp9p2klq.jpg

IMG_1124_zpsuy7vnrgr.jpg

Drill.

I've been chasing a decent, floor standing, industrial, pillar drill (or drill press as the Aussies call them) for about 18 months now and missed out on 2. :doh:

But then last week I spotted one on Gumtree!

IMG_0933_zpshtdb4vut.jpg

As I needed to get there within an hour as the seller was going out, I didnt have time to hook the trailer up so we squeezed it in the Astra.

IMG_0934_zps8tmsgyer.jpg

IMG_0935_zpsemtrjn0i.jpg

IMG_0937_zpsdhgwql4z.jpg

The saw horses finally had to go as I dont have anywhere else to store them.

IMG_0938_zpsv9rn2crg.jpg

IMG_0944_zpsahbjb16f.jpg

IMG_0945_zpsi5yisowa.jpg

32 years old! All the new ones now are made in China and have lots of plastic in them where as back in the 80's the ones coming out of Taiwan were good quality! :cool:

IMG_0946_zpsm0liaoxf.jpg

It came with a machinist vice which I found incredibly useful when I was at Piranha, so thats a bonus!

IMG_0947_zpsvnvdpmaq.jpg

I do also have a proper made in England, Record vice as well.

IMG_0948_zpsizbnoxjb.jpg

IMG_0949_zpslxpqrszp.jpg

I'm thinking the space next to it can be for a 20 ton floor standing press which is something else on my shopping list, along side an engine crane, a big MIG, a decent tube bender and an 8" bench grinder. :think:

IMG_0950_zpslz0xdrf1.jpg

Pretty pleased with how the workshop is looking at the moment, but I cant wait until I can one day build a huge workshop! :cool:

IMG_0960_zpsmecjfwcy.jpg

IMG_0961_zpscaqp147h.jpg

IMG_0958_zps2ojtdv0r.jpg

IMG_0959_zps2jihp8lo.jpg

IMG_0962_zpstrwqzspm.jpg

RJ.

I did a little bit of work on project RJ.

IMG_0953_zpsghpih9he.jpg

Decided I should probably put it back together a little bit as its going to be a while until I get properly stuck into this project and I dont want to loose anything or forget where stuff goes.

Refitted the special twin pivot windscreen wiper arms.

IMG_0954_zpsin93gkz2.jpg

I found a rust free receiver for the lock, just need to source one more for the other side.

IMG_0951_zpsy4sr1win.jpg

IMG_0952_zpsjymngt3u.jpg

I bolted the tops back on the front doors.

IMG_0955_zpsaspdkkio.jpg

WR450f

I bought a new battery for the bike from my favorite local store.

IMG_0918_zpsthrclwmb.jpg

Smaller than the original and feels so light it feels like an empty plastic box.

IMG_0919_zpshfs74nvg.jpg

They included self adhesive foam strips to stick to the battery to pack it out.

IMG_0920_zpspzyzibro.jpg

IMG_0921_zpsny9yyklf.jpg

IMG_0922_zpslxqn2h6c.jpg

IMG_0923_zpsjmyb5kzh.jpg

The old one will be sold to the scrapman along with LJ's old battery.

IMG_0924_zps0cxkfvy4.jpg

Specs on the new battery.

IMG_0925_zpsges4j1op.jpg

IMG_0926_zpsbigvjdsx.jpg

I noticed when I got the bike that it had a very occasional drip of coolant from the water pump housing.

IMG_0971_zpss3rl9kj4.jpg

It had begun to get worse and drip more so after watching a youtube video and consulting the factory service manual I picked up some supplies and an oil seal and got to it.

I picked up a litre of coolant and some hose clamps to limit the amount of coolant I would loose pulling the waterpump off.

IMG_0973_zpso10cmck4.jpg

Bottom radiator hoses clamped.

IMG_0974_zpslvwaj6tw.jpg

WP cover off.

IMG_0975_zpstdim6fnh.jpg

IMG_0976_zpsaph4bron.jpg

Impeller off.

IMG_0977_zpsgetwrodx.jpg

And I could finally get to the leaing seal.

IMG_0978_zpsxmfqbbcn.jpg

Old seal came out easy with a little hook tool.

IMG_0980_zpsrhndgvpc.jpg

New seal.

IMG_0982_zps1ndrxzoz.jpg

All back together and no leaks! :dance:

IMG_0983_zpshw0gcyqi.jpg

It was then time to get out for a trip! :icon-twisted:

I plotted a route through the hinterland.

IMG_1060_zpscgdaw5tu.jpg

IMG_1061_zpslwcssl6x.jpg

Met Sam and his other mate Adam.

And my new mate Dean who is the new sparky who has just started at the hospital with me. I spotted on the induction he had a Fox T shirt on so I asked if he was into dirt bikes and it turned out he has got the same bike as me! :dance:

IMG_1062_zpsmhgzmdw1.jpg

IMG_1063_zpsrxfplr0j.jpg

This is Dean's WR450f.

IMG_1064_zpseps0ycma.jpg

Another stop in Carunga for a pie.

IMG_1066_zpsavdy9s5v.jpg

Then a lunch stop at the 100+ year old pub at Advancetown for a pint and a roast dinner. :cool:

IMG_1069_zpssavtccp4.jpg

It was a great day and next time were hoping to get away for an off road trip! :icon-twisted:

Astra.

The rego (road tax) was up on the Astra this week so I got it on QLD plates.

IMG_0995_zpsetxe5sug.jpg

Old versus new.

IMG_0996_zpsxd53nwmc.jpg

Fitted.

IMG_1002_zpsv3oszcss.jpg

The Hospital Job.

The new job is going really well!

Its nice that Bec and I can travel to work together and meet up for lunch.

This is the view from the roof.

IMG_0984_zpspsrcqvf0.jpg

You can just about make out the city sky scrappers in the distance. In front of that they are building the athlete village for the 2018 Common Wealth Games. They have got a crazy amount of tower cranes as they rush ahead trying to get it finished in time.

IMG_0988_zpsnr8ihdfh.jpg

Bec is currently working at the Private hospital across the road from my hospital, but has just landed a job at mine so will be moving across soon.

IMG_0987_zpsk9exivg2.jpg

Helicopters landing on the roof is a regular spectacle.

IMG_0990_zps5i9fyoes.jpg

IMG_0989_zpsl3jc7u28.jpg

IMG_1137_zpssgxqomzn.jpg

As we walk on average 25km (15 miles) a day, working in the maintenance department, carrying a heavy tool box around isnt an option.

Most of the guys have a cheap folding sack trolley from Office Works with a box or milk crate bolted to it.

IMG_1003_zpsyxfbgj7u.jpg

But I found them quite unpleasant to push or pull around as their so badly balanced. :thumbdown:

So I did some research and found a tool bag that looked much more suitable and professional looking.

IMG_0997_zpsldcrlkpp.jpg

IMG_0998_zpsefeercwc.jpg

IMG_0999_zpsphnluiqt.jpg

IMG_1001_zps5m5oekgx.jpg

Its working well so far but it will be interesting to see how long it lasts as its not the best quality ever. :think:

I think with the 4 labs we have (had) we have been very lucky when it comes to chewing. They just dont...well, sam ate the bottom stair (or the corner of it) but thats it, Danny has never chomped anything - well he ate a fig tree, but as for the others nothing :) having said that 1 was an 11 month old rescue and 2 where 1 year old failed medical guide dogs! Thats the secret
Bikes.....may be getting a Triumph Street Twin next year if everything works out!

Congrats on the new job btw

Your lucky Steve! :shifty:

We gave in and bought Lexi another Kmart bed and this morning Bec came home to this. :doh:

Lexi's 2nd Bed.jpg

Bike sounds cool. I love mine. :thumbup:

Thanks, the new job is going great! :dance:

Good to hear the job is going well Ben, better than working in the mines mate, even if the money doesn't compare.

There's a lot to be said for the Quality of life. :thumbup:

Your lucky Steve! :shifty:

We gave in and bought Lexi another Kmart bed and this morning Bec came home to this. :doh:

View attachment 104048

Bike sounds cool. I love mine. :thumbup:

Thanks, the new job is going great! :dance:
Our kids like the bean bags.We thought the schnauzer Might tear it open but
ok so far.

Reactions: Ben
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
RJ70.

I needed to store the roll cage some where so decided to put it and the soft top back on for now.

IMG_1286_zpsmyqbaf6l.jpg

As RJ came with a full tank of diesel and I'm converting it to petrol, I bought a pump from Aldi and pumped all the fuel out into jerry cans.

IMG_1162_zpshlqcimd1.jpg

IMG_1163_zpsnsqssl37.jpg

And poured it all into LJ.

IMG_1164_zpslcrth9li.jpg

Gympie Camping Trip.

Last Friday we loaded LJ up and headed a few hours North of
Brisbane to a camp site just South of Gympie. :icon-cool:

IMG_1174_zpswfcfudfc.jpg

We arrived at the Cobb & Co campsite just in time to get setup before the daylight faded.

IMG_1290_zpskmx19tgu.jpg

IMG_1170_zpsqf3ovgal.jpg

IMG_1172_zpsvkakz8aa.jpg

IMG_1173_zpsltctjvec.jpg

The OZ Tent was soon setup.

IMG_1175_zps0nqu0kzs.jpg

IMG_1176_zpso0vuhayh.jpg

As we were only a 20 minute drive from town, we decided to nip out and get an Indian for dinner! :dance:

IMG_1179_zpstedjgjw7.jpg

Meanwhile Lexi was exhausted!

IMG_1181_zpsmw2a1cqa.jpg

The next morning we went to the beach. :icon-cool:

IMG_1183_zps2hjmypum.jpg

IMG_1184_zpszd8mebvf.jpg

It was LJ's first time beach driving!

IMG_1185_zpsm2prnbso.jpg

IMG_1186_zps8tqwowtd.jpg

IMG_1189_zpsg3pdv8km.jpg

IMG_1298_zpswi03kyuu.jpg

We drove a few miles along the beach and then parked up.

IMG_1197_zpsadcdlpnl.jpg

The girls had a paddle.

IMG_1191_zpsv2tfmp2x.jpg

IMG_1193_zpsvwbs5rnx.jpg

IMG_1198_zpsbitplzcg.jpg

Lexi had a great time!

IMG_1219_zpssl1ktobl.jpg

IMG_1221_zpsf3li2ut9.jpg

IMG_1223_zpsgacufzzr.jpg

IMG_1227_zpsc28ooz58.jpg

While we relaxed with a cold one! :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1208_zpsept9prnc.jpg

IMG_1207_zpsc8t8ryzp.jpg

IMG_1239_zpsdyhb9ckl.jpg

IMG_1242_zps7qaha60p.jpg

I had to laugh........................my brother in law was down in chilly Tasmania in the snow! While here we were enjoying the sun! :shifty:

IMG_1317_zpspzvxszr0.jpg

We left Rainbow beach and headed for Tin Can bay.

Couldnt resist driving out to the beach where the ferry to Fraser Island runs.

IMG_1243_zpsndilwisj.jpg

IMG_1307_zpsu0tgo2cp.jpg

IMG_1309_zps7qfx2mwn.jpg

IMG_1310_zps8cjxr3sf.jpg

Thankfully we didnt see any dangerous saltwater crocs!

IMG_1244_zpsswa26atr.jpg

After stopping at a sailing club for lunch, we drove back to camp. On the way Lexi was so exhausted she was resting her head on my shoulder and kept nodding off. :romance-inlove:

IMG_1292_zpswruthkci.jpg

IMG_1291_zpshoolxuyw.jpg

IMG_1294_zps0lrwztys.jpg

IMG_1245_zpsjhljqa0q.jpg

We soon had a fire going and I cooked dinner.

IMG_1248_zpssova6zfp.jpg

IMG_1249_zpsv8uoybl9.jpg

IMG_1250_zpsjc1fe1sf.jpg

IMG_1251_zpsdc2jr5jv.jpg

Chicken for dinner.

IMG_1252_zpsx0tdkygi.jpg

All cooked on the hot plate!

IMG_1254_zpspcxtnd3i.jpg

IMG_1255_zpsrytodpuc.jpg

IMG_1256_zpsuzomfzic.jpg

We had a lovely evening relaxing around the fire.

IMG_1257_zpsu7haax3j.jpg

IMG_1261_zpsdkpo8bcn.jpg

IMG_1263_zps8tr3jitl.jpg

We trusted Lexi to sleep with us in the tent for the first time on this trip and I was fully expecting her to be jumping on us in the night or waking us up in the morning. :think:

But she was good as gold and stayed on her bed all night! :icon-surprised: :clap:

IMG_1264_zpstru3sljr.jpg

The next morning I was up bright and early and soon had the fire going again.

IMG_1265_zpsqt8d6i2p.jpg

When Bec eventually got up I cooked us breakfast over the fire!

IMG_1314_zpshj5xxidh.jpg

IMG_1313_zpsxe2shsur.jpg

We took the tent down and headed for home.

IMG_1267_zpsdtcdsoxs.jpg

IMG_1272_zpsiwcc17jl.jpg

It was only a little trip but it was nice to get away from it all and have a little break! :icon-biggrin:

This weekend we had my old bosses from Piranha stay with us as they were up here on business! It was great to see them as I hadnt seen them since last year. :dance:

While we were busy chatting, I came up with an idea for the world record attempt Simpson Desert trip, which would potentially save me a lot of time and money................................

Rather than driving for 32 hours to reach Oodnadatta for the start of the trip, then a 22 hour drive back from Birdsville after the trip............................

I could fly into Coober Peedy and get picked up by one of the cars as they make their way North from Melbourne and then afterwards fly back from Birdsville to Brisbane. :think:

Its not set in stone and if Bec can get the time off work I would love to take LJ. But if she cant, then flying and jumping in with some of the other guys in the convoy seems like a good idea. :icon-biggrin:

It's a great area up that way Ben; we went up earlier in the month and based ourselves out of Tin Can Bay, and did the same recce trip to Inskip Point/Rainbow Beach/Cooloola Cove - very useful for the beginings of a Fraser Trip. Fuel was cheaper in TCB and there's a Woolies at Cooloola Cove (so cheaper than the IGAs in TCB and Rainbow Beach)

Full trip report with pics, or it didnt happen! :whistle::lol:

Yeah I spotted how much cheaper the fuel was in TCB, it was a good 40 cents cheaper than Rainbow beach! :crazy:

Planning on doing a trip to Fraser in RJ and we will stay at one of the hotels on the island so we can travel light and keep the roof off and windscreen down! :icon-cool:

Looked like a nice trip Ben and a great beach
Jealous of the nice weather, since we got home from our Spain trip it's not been that great in Scotland , rain nearly every day...

Good that Lexi was OK in the tent. First time we had Jet in our tipi she woke us up in the morning, but since then she has stayed in her bed.
Always fun taking dog on camping trips, Jet ends up knackered too

The BBQ fire tray looks great.

Hope the job going ok and stuff is interesting.

aww good dog :) Great trip again Ben, not so sure about looking out for Crocs, our lot would be in the sea all the time!

It's a great area up that way Ben; we went up earlier in the month and based ourselves out of Tin Can Bay, and did the same recce trip to Inskip Point/Rainbow Beach/Cooloola Cove - very useful for the beginings of a Fraser Trip. Fuel was cheaper in TCB and there's a Woolies at Cooloola Cove (so cheaper than the IGAs in TCB and Rainbow Beach)

I've done trips in the same areas and took a couple of mates up to Tin Can Bay
looking for opportunities,nothing doing but had a lot of fun.Went to a place on the north shore of Noosa and this place had some camels.One of the bastards spat at me and a lady spectator,said you
had better be careful as they carry the AIDS virus.I said ,lady I don't intend to have a sexual relationship with it.Poor girl nearly went into convulsions.

Full trip report with pics, or it didnt happen! :whistle::lol:

Yeah I spotted how much cheaper the fuel was in TCB, it was a good 40 cents cheaper than Rainbow beach! :crazy:

Planning on doing a trip to Fraser in RJ and we will stay at one of the hotels on the island so we can travel light and keep the roof off and windscreen down! :icon-cool:
Did you see any sign of crocs?

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

No signs of any crocs Pat. I didnt actually think we got them this far South until I saw the warning sign. :think:

Like you Ben, living in close proximity to the mountains, or at least somewhere interesting to go, either for days out or a weekend camping like you have, allows you to escape long enough to charge your batteries, so to speak.

These last 2 weekends I've lost to weddings, and overtime trying to achieve a massive deadline for a submission to the courts, which is today.

Last week, I was working my normal 9hr day, then staying in the office till between 2am and at the worst 6am. I say the worst, but last Thursday I arrived at the office at 8:30am and left at 06:30am on Saturday morning.

I closed the document 10 minutes ago as "Final" so I'm sitting at my lunch table waiting for food feeling totally drained. Hoping to get this Friday off, then I can have a 3 day weekend to recover.

Somewhere to go within reach of home is a God-send. :thumbup:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

No signs of any crocs Pat. I didnt actually think we got them this far South until I saw the warning sign. :think:
Are you allowed to take dogs to Fraser Island?Might pay to check because there are a lot of dingos there and I would hate to see Lexie at risk.
I was always interested in crocs and on the strand in Townsville one day was speaking to a local who had lived there all his life.Are there any crocs in Townsville?no been for forty years and there are none this far south.OK.
spoke to another bloke,lived there for donkey years,He said even on the main beach don't swim alone and keep out of the estuaries and little mangrove patches,there are a lot of them around.So We reckoned we'd take the second blokes advice.

Are you allowed to take dogs to Fraser Island?Might pay to check because there are a lot of dingos there and I would hate to see Lexie at risk.
I was always interested in crocs and on the strand in Townsville one day was speaking to a local who had lived there all his life.Are there any crocs in Townsville?no been for forty years and there are none this far south.OK.
spoke to another bloke,lived there for donkey years,He said even on the main beach don't swim alone and keep out of the estuaries and little mangrove patches,there are a lot of them around.So We reckoned we'd take the second blokes advice.

Better safe than lunch, Pat :lol:

Reactions: Pat
No, Fraser Island is a national park and dogs arnt allowed in national parks, sadly! :doh:

I wouldnt want to take her to Fraser anyway, because of the dingos. But I do think they should be allowed in national parks, if kept on a lead. :think:

It was one of the reasons we went up to Gympie, as there are lots of state forests round there, where dogs are allowed. :icon-biggrin:

Hey Ben,

Have you got a picture of how all your electrics are run off the positive terminal? I've got to add some more to mine, and I'd really like to do it neatly rather than the current slightly bodged way. The latest is an electric brake controller for the camper trailer, so it really needs a good positive feed.

Other than that, how is it all going in sunny QLD?

Hey Ben,

Have you got a picture of how all your electrics are run off the positive terminal? I've got to add some more to mine, and I'd really like to do it neatly rather than the current slightly bodged way. The latest is an electric brake controller for the camper trailer, so it really needs a good positive feed.

Does your Toyota not have the power outlet box under the bonnet?

If it does then that might be the easiest place to get your power from as all the fuse holders are already there.

IMG_1479.JPG

Failing that, just connect them to the + terminal with a crimped on eye on your wire.

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG
Then either run it to one big fuse box if your planning on wiring in other accessories, like this.

IMG_1480.JPG
Or use a single fuse holder like this.

IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG

The important thing is to have the fuse as close to the battery as possible.

If your going to be using a relay, you can actually get relays with fuse holders built in and they can be a really neat option. :icon-wink:

Other than that, how is it all going in sunny QLD?

Going great thanks mate. :thumbup:

Will try and get an update up soon of what I've been up to.

Had a few great trips out on the motorbike. Found a great dog beach, so we've been going there heaps.

And I've been doing lots of work on LJ. :icon-biggrin:

Today were going to the new dog beach this morning then taking Lexi to Byron for the day (her first trip to Byron).

Then tomorrow were all off to QMP for a day riding the enduro tracks with my work mate.

Life is fantastic at the moment! :dance:

Back