Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Thanks for that Ben; I've got all my fuses nice and close already so that's fine. I've also already used a load of ring terminals on the battery so I'll just carry on doing that!

edit: After looking under the bonnet of an FZJ80 I see what you mean by the accessory box - mine doesn't have one of those; I really just want to keep the electrics as tidy as possible, so I might change to a fused bus box and go from there.

Last edited:
You could have a look on eBay Ed, there are some battery connectors with multiple bolts as well as ones with combined fuse holders from other vehicles. Might give some inspiration.

Ben, neat work on your electrics there. Nice. :clap:

Finally I could make replyin this lomg great thread.

It took so long time for me to read all.

Learnt a lot from Ben.
Thanks ;)

Reactions: Ben
:lol:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Hoping to get an update up tomorrow night, just going through the pics now. :icon-wink:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry, this is a really old post (last year), but I'm trying to catch up OK! :)

This Weeks Update..........

I couldn't work out why there is an extra hole on the hub! Doesn't make sense? :?

DSCN2418_zps4p6e4fnw.jpg

DSCN2419_zpskkjtjlmw.jpg

Paper gasket even has a cut out for it.

DSCN2420_zpszjrbjvcv.jpg

And the backing plate has a raised area for it.

DSCN2421_zpscvsk3suk.jpg

The extra hole on the hub allows oil from inside the axle to leak out outside the break drum (vs. having it inside the drum which would be stupid) when the simring in the axel (around the half-shaft) fails and no longer keeps the oil on the inside.

:)

LJ.

Bec started her new job at my hospital and her new boss has agreed to let her have time off for the Simpson Desert World Record Attempt! :dance:

So I'm now busy getting LJ ready. :shifty:

I've ordered some much stiffer rear springs from Dobinsons which are being made to order as I write! :icon-cool:

I removed the Superior Engineering adjustable panhardrods off RJ as I want to try and fit them to LJ when the new springs go on.

IMG_1331_zpsumlxffs2.jpg

IMG_1332_zpsy7k08ii3.jpg

IMG_1333_zpsaaektcwg.jpg

IMG_1334_zpsny0crbn0.jpg

Next job was the aircon install. :icon-cool:

Its now over a year since I got back from Europe with suitcases full of aircon parts, so it was about time I got it finished. :shifty:

RJ had aircon when it left the factory, most of it is still fitted apart from the engine bay components. But I did get a pump and a load of bits of pipe with it.

IMG_1370_zpsocxo0uek.jpg

Which got me thinking, I wonder if this old pump would bolt onto my 1KZ engine. :think:

IMG_1371_zpseuu5xues.jpg

Amazingly it did and it looked like it would work. :dance:

IMG_1373_zps1iluz0ol.jpg

IMG_1374_zpsggz3zqng.jpg

IMG_1375_zpsnfffsihh.jpg

The only issue was connecting the pipes.

IMG_1382_zpskevbyxo6.jpg

IMG_1383_zpsop4v33eg.jpg

IMG_1384_zpsuiigegmy.jpg

The one pipe bolted up perfectly.

IMG_1385_zpseisaifaz.jpg

But the other was going to need some work as not only did it not have the correct angle on the fitting, the hose wasnt long enough. :doh:

IMG_1386_zpsbbqbc3fp.jpg

IMG_1387_zpse4wdouhl.jpg

The angle on the fitting could be made to work, just, but it wasnt ideal.

IMG_1388_zpslgxnfksl.jpg

It was far too short though.

IMG_1389_zpsane5lo6x.jpg

IMG_1390_zpszqwnnfvn.jpg

I decided to do the job properly I would have to get a hose made and I thought the cheapest and easiest thing would be to just get a new piece of hose crimped onto my fittings. :think:

So I worked out how much longer it needed be.

IMG_1400_zpsm4mimtki.jpg

IMG_1401_zpskqorp485.jpg

Carefully removed the old crimps.

IMG_1402_zpswso1dgzi.jpg

IMG_1403_zpseqoejndn.jpg

IMG_1404_zpsmf1zw7gd.jpg

IMG_1405_zpsxscfanlo.jpg

IMG_1406_zpssp6zxx4u.jpg

IMG_1407_zpsaknmys6r.jpg

IMG_1408_zpsswn0ezns.jpg

IMG_1409_zps4zb73hyk.jpg

Decided to bend the one fitting slightly to angle the hose away from the rad.

So I heated it up and bent it around a socket very gently.

IMG_1410_zps2s1psagv.jpg

IMG_1411_zpsro9o9onv.jpg

I went to 2 local hose makers and neither of them had the correct crimping tool or crimps to use my fittings. :doh:

So I had to get a new hose made.

IMG_1419_zpseh66lxcy.jpg

They had to get a local TIG welder to weld a new threaded male end to the fitting that bolts to my pump.

IMG_1420_zpsnumi6m6t.jpg

I picked up a new belt, well actually I picked up 4 in total and the first 3 were all the wrong length. :oops:

The joys of fitting a pump to an engine it was never designed to fit onto. :shifty:

This was the 4th and final one.

IMG_1395_zpsvooy69en.jpg

I tested the pump using a battery to see if the magnetic clutch was engaging when it got power, which it was.

IMG_1398_zpspco7s2pq.jpg

IMG_1399_zpsc6yyu3vf.jpg

And then I bolted it all up ready to get it gassed up.

IMG_1422_zpscccnysb5.jpg

IMG_1423_zps0s88iyir.jpg

IMG_1424_zpscf24g7jl.jpg

IMG_1428_zpsrx3ifj6e.jpg

IMG_1429_zpsqtalvy6q.jpg

IMG_1430_zpsvsegs49z.jpg

IMG_1431_zps6nhjajyu.jpg

IMG_1433_zpsl62hb7wc.jpg

The drier would be getting replaced, but apart from that it was all good to go.

IMG_1432_zpsrchbyxmi.jpg

An hour or 2 after dropping it off at my local aircon place they called me to say that they needed to convert the system from R32 to R34 (I think thats the correct numbers) as they couldnt get their equipment onto my fittings.

There was a small cost increase, but it had to be done so I told them to proceed. :icon-smile:

Then an hour later they call me with some bad news. They have snapped off one of the fittings and stuffed my fitting that I had welded up and that was the only pipe/hose I didnt have a spare of. :doh:

IMG_1434_zpsfkcadk7r.jpg

IMG_1435_zpsxgxyb1ds.jpg

I went down and saw them and they were saying I should go to a wreckers yard and try and find another fitting, or go and get another hose made up.

So I suggested why not weld a new fitting over the hole where they had sheared off the old fitting. :think:

I got a fitting off them and raced down to BOC and got a bottle of argon for my TIG.

IMG_1436_zpsindhhjzo.jpg

IMG_1437_zpspyvvl7kx.jpg

Because alluminium is such an amazing conductor of heat, its vital to have components really well clamped to avoid distortion. :icon-ugeek:

IMG_1438_zps3lwf4n8z.jpg

IMG_1440_zpsznfctj5d.jpg

IMG_1441_zpsgwvu7ank.jpg

IMG_1442_zpsk2ghmeta.jpg

I shot back down and gave them the fitting and waited patiently for news of how they got on with it.

I was worried about the pump as I knew it had been off of a vehicle for many months and thats not good for pumps. It even states in the FSM that if you intend to store a pump for a while you should seal some gas in it. :icon-ugeek:

Anyway......................

An hour later I got a phone call to say it was all finished and working like a dream! :dance:

IMG_1443_zpsufnn66hj.jpg

New drier.

IMG_1444_zps5n2rt5ov.jpg

New fittings.

IMG_1445_zpsffihnqff.jpg

I pulled the airbox out as now it was all working I could tidy up all the wiring and change the pulley bearings.

IMG_1446_zpsewzrq7r3.jpg

IMG_1447_zpstwkbouob.jpg

IMG_1448_zpslipatcez.jpg

Removed the pulleys from the pump and belt tensioner.

IMG_1450_zpsbvef27ni.jpg

IMG_1451_zpsv2jtyylx.jpg

Pressed the old bearings off.

IMG_1454_zpsvyy9hcww.jpg

IMG_1455_zpsawzuihtj.jpg

IMG_1456_zpsquu8hjmq.jpg

Took the old bearings to my local bearing shop.

IMG_1457_zps6zuyhqwx.jpg

IMG_1463_zpsiexbonnp.jpg

Fitted the new bearings.

IMG_1464_zpspasceisv.jpg

IMG_1465_zps1n5btbbu.jpg

IMG_1466_zps2wupde1y.jpg

I could then bolt it all back together.

IMG_1541_zpsenystwms.jpg

IMG_1543_zpsvzkshvzw.jpg

And thats the aircon install complete! :dance:

IMG_1544_zpsiy8vjjvy.jpg

IMG_1545_zpslltrcld6.jpg

IMG_1546_zpspjvo76uz.jpg

I've got some service work to do before the trip so I finally treated myself to a proper seal driver kit, I thought for the sake of $30/£15 delivered, off ebay, why the hell not! :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1555_zpsxrlm7dne.jpg

IMG_1556_zpsqgpqq7hk.jpg

I also picked up some light bar mounts that were on sale and very cheap.

IMG_1377_zpsdw4jlxkv.jpg

Nice chunky billet alluminium ones.

IMG_1378_zpsbynli9qe.jpg

As I'm thinking of putting the light bar that came with RJ on LJ. :think:

IMG_1379_zpsr8ozjpox.jpg

Speaking of RJ I spotted this pic last week from a car show in Germany of a nice soft top 70 series, this one is slightly longer as its a medium wheel base but otherwise its an identical model to mine. :icon-cool:

Thinking mine would look cool in black. :think:

IMG_1412_zpsrdvyejc9.jpg

I also found some pics of the duel cab ute I want with style sided tub, OK this one is a petrol and doesnt have the snorkel, but it is in the Midnight Blue colour I want. :drool:

We've just got to do some house flips first then I can buy one. :shifty:

IMG_1462_zpsq4dw10kz.jpg

IMG_1461_zpsgudljraw.jpg

The Bike.

I've been out for a few rides lately. :dance:

I went for an on and off road trip on my own and rode Duck Creek Road. :icon-cool:

The pink route this time.

IMG_1510_zpsvr7ba1fd.jpg

IMG_1511_zpspmrpkl3r.jpg

Rode it the opposite direction to when I drove it in LJ, so up to the National Park first.

IMG_1345_zpsrgawllfv.jpg

Then down Duck Creek Road.

IMG_1346_zpstmnerwwq.jpg

IMG_1348_zpsnepzglwz.jpg

IMG_1351_zpsf0i9wrd1.jpg

It was quite wet in places.

IMG_1354_zpshyb2xmfd.jpg

IMG_1357_zpspg3ps1xm.jpg

They have installed hundreds of meters of wire, star pickets and signs since my last trip to stop people going off piste, which was nice to see, as like strata Florida in Wales it was looking a bit of a mess from the dick heads who wont stick to the track and have to go off playing. :icon-rolleyes:

IMG_1358_zpszo6tnjcn.jpg

IMG_1359_zpsi3hjcge1.jpg

Fantastic weather for a ride! :icon-cool:

IMG_1362_zpsgt8frkkm.jpg

IMG_1363_zpstumnygxd.jpg

IMG_1365_zpsitvgenpj.jpg

IMG_1368_zpstmzuqhcj.jpg

Then last Sunday I went for a day at QMP with my work mate. :dance:

IMG_1513_zpscvg4bg9v.jpg

IMG_1514_zpsu0jv7yyr.jpg

IMG_1516_zpshf5an6xx.jpg

IMG_1518_zps7of0nhea.jpg

IMG_1519_zpsshc07vqy.jpg

It was a great day but I came off a lot! :icon-redface: :doh:

Almost hurt myself quite badly coming back down a steep rocky climb that I failed to get up when the bike came down on top of me and pinned me down over a big rock. :cry:

IMG_1523_zps1xp7ct7w.jpg

All good though and the bike was soon clean and back in the garage. :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1520_zpsmk301n3l.jpg

Did break another clutch lever early on in the day, but just carried on with the broken lever.

IMG_1521_zpsdteb4edi.jpg

So last nights job, now I have TIG gas, was to repair some clutch levers.

IMG_1548_zpskk0kmlty.jpg

IMG_1549_zpsbcwxlpcb.jpg

IMG_1550_zps9fjlq513.jpg

One side done.

IMG_1551_zpsasye74zf.jpg

IMG_1552_zpsn0orsyce.jpg

Then flip it over to do the other side.

IMG_1553_zps5vmtfiha.jpg

IMG_1554_zpsirv54ghr.jpg

I'm going to get a little bag to bolt to my rear fender and I will carry spare levers and some tools in it. :icon-cool:

Lexi.

Shes growing up fast and is loving our weekend trips to the beach! :dance:

IMG_1338_zpsnd32rkun.jpg

IMG_1485_zps5ty5ojym.jpg

IMG_1489_zps5kwaxkmq.jpg

IMG_1491_zpsenqlo9je.jpg

Shes also had more play dates with her best friend Chilli.

IMG_1497_zps0dhoitq6.jpg

We went to Byron last weekend which we all loved!

This was Lexi's first trip to Byron, we must get back down for a camping trip some time soon. :icon-cool:

IMG_1507_zps5179n6ee.jpg

And thats pretty much it really guys. :thumbup:

I'm still planning the work I want to do on RJ and I've hopefully sourced a load of the parts I'm missing for the body and interior. The engine conversion is on hold until after the Simpson trip, but then I want to get stuck into it. :think:

Next weekend we have a family camping trip to a big motorbike park with my work mate and his family and this weekend I'm going to buy some more goodies for the bike and get it ready for the trip. :dance:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pat
You are right could not read all. But checked all pics and read as much as possible ;)

After I sold my LJ i was sad so tried not to read this forum not to miss my 70 :(

It was my total wrong decision to sell it.

Nice update Ben.

Regarding the AC install, Did you or the AC guys add any oil to the compressor? It's often overlooked...

Nice one Ben!

You've inspired me to get my aircon working properly. It works, but it must be only 1/3 of what it used to be. All the components are the original, so maybe I need a new drier?

I have no knowledge of air con or how it works, but I have to start somewhere, and there's nobody here in Romania that can offer me any advice.

I can see the fluid rushing past the little window in the circuit, so maybe a new drier and a re-gas will help.

LJ's looking really good these days.

I noticed your ARB badge on the front bumper, mine got ripped off when I had the bumper refurbished, do you think ARB would be able to provide me with a replacement?

Thanks for the update Ben, good to see you're all doing well and enjoying life :thumbup:

Have you got proper boots yet for riding? If not get some... please...

The conversion would be from R12 to R134a - mine's still R12, hence the lack of aircon as the local guy put it in the too hard bin.

You are right could not read all. But checked all pics and read as much as possible ;)

After I sold my LJ i was sad so tried not to read this forum not to miss my 70 :(

It was my total wrong decision to sell it.

You should find another one! :icon-wink:

Are they common over there? :think:

Nice update Ben.

Regarding the AC install, Did you or the AC guys add any oil to the compressor? It's often overlooked...

Thanks Beau. :thumbup:

Yes they added oil as I wasnt sure how much was left in the compressor as I never opened it up. They also added green dye in with the gas to show up any leaks if/when they occur. :icon-ugeek:

Nice one Ben!

You've inspired me to get my aircon working properly. It works, but it must be only 1/3 of what it used to be. All the components are the original, so maybe I need a new drier?

I have no knowledge of air con or how it works, but I have to start somewhere, and there's nobody here in Romania that can offer me any advice.

I can see the fluid rushing past the little window in the circuit, so maybe a new drier and a re-gas will help.

LJ's looking really good these days.

I noticed your ARB badge on the front bumper, mine got ripped off when I had the bumper refurbished, do you think ARB would be able to provide me with a replacement?

Thanks for the update Ben, good to see you're all doing well and enjoying life :thumbup:

Thanks Clive. :thumbup:

You may get away with just a re-gas, but if you need a new drier their not much money anyway. :think:

Aircon is very useful for demisting windscreens when its raining and they keep steaming up, so its not just useful for hot weather. :icon-cool:

PM me your address and I will get a new badge in the post to you. ARB do sell them, but I've got one I carefully removed from my old bosses new bullbar that he wanted me to cut some light in to. :icon-wink:

Have you got proper boots yet for riding? If not get some... please...

The conversion would be from R12 to R134a - mine's still R12, hence the lack of aircon as the local guy put it in the too hard bin.

No I havent, but its on todays shopping list. :shifty:

I think they will also help me ride a bit better as I will be able to grip the bike better, as well as the huge protection they will offer. :icon-biggrin:

Thanks Clive. :thumbup:

You may get away with just a re-gas, but if you need a new drier their not much money anyway. :think:

Aircon is very useful for demisting windscreens when its raining and they keep steaming up, so its not just useful for hot weather. :icon-cool:

PM me your address and I will get a new badge in the post to you. ARB do sell them, but I've got one I carefully removed from my old bosses new bullbar that he wanted me to cut some light in to. :icon-wink:

Thanks Ben, but I don't want to take your spare, mate. I lost both the front and the rear badges, the squidgy poly-bag ones that go into the depressions. If you could post an address where I could buy some replacements I'd be interested.
I had it gassed last year, but the guy operating the machine was useless. It wasn't working at all when I took it in, he said its empty, then after the regas said it didn't take any extra fluid? After, it still wasn't working and he said there was no circulation, buy a new compressor!

So I ignored him and just ran it. About a week later it started to work but only a bit. It's the same now, so I think there's a blockage somewhere. I know there's fluid in there, so even if I do have a leak, it's not losing all.
He put dye in too, but couldn't see any leaks.
I'll start with a new dryer I think, and take it from there.
Thanks mate!:thumbup:

Thanks Ben, but I don't want to take your spare, mate. I lost both the front and the rear badges, the squidgy poly-bag ones that go into the depressions. If you could post an address where I could buy some replacements I'd be interested.
I had it gassed last year, but the guy operating the machine was useless. It wasn't working at all when I took it in, he said its empty, then after the regas said it didn't take any extra fluid? After, it still wasn't working and he said there was no circulation, buy a new compressor!

So I ignored him and just ran it. About a week later it started to work but only a bit. It's the same now, so I think there's a blockage somewhere. I know there's fluid in there, so even if I do have a leak, it's not losing all.
He put dye in too, but couldn't see any leaks.
I'll start with a new dryer I think, and take it from there.
Thanks mate!:thumbup:
It's possibly moisture in the system freezing as it passes through the expansion valve. If it's this, then the gas needs to be recovered and the system put on vacuum overnight at least to boil off any moisture in there. A new drier would be a good idea too and a proper refrigeration engineer with gauges to see what the system is doing. Does the compressor run? If so, is it only for short periods widely spaced?

I don't know TBH Rich.

For sure it runs and cool air comes front he vents. But it's not cold like it used to be.

After the truck has stood in 36C all day, it cools the hot air from the vents down in just a few seconds, and stays cool, but not cold.

I don't know TBH Rich.

For sure it runs and cool air comes front he vents. But it's not cold like it used to be.

After the truck has stood in 36C all day, it cools the hot air from the vents down in just a few seconds, and stays cool, but not cold.
Take a torch and have a look in the sight glass on the inner wing just above the left side battery. If there's bubbles going through then the system is short of gas.

I can see fluid rushing past the sight glass Rich. I can't say it looks like bubbles, but I suppose if I can see it (it fills about half of the glass) then it's low. Should that look like 'solid' fluid?

If yes, it means I must have a leak somewhere then. I'll have to get a UV torch and try to locate it.

I've checked the pipe along the bulkhead that so many have found leaks, but it looks ok.

Maybe an 'O' ring is weeping somewhere.

I can see fluid rushing past the sight glass Rich. I can't say it looks like bubbles, but I suppose if I can see it (it fills about half of the glass) then it's low. Should that look like 'solid' fluid?

If yes, it means I must have a leak somewhere then. I'll have to get a UV torch and try to locate it.

I've checked the pipe along the bulkhead that so many have found leaks, but it looks ok.

Maybe an 'O' ring is weeping somewhere.
Yes Clive, that should be a solid slug of liquid. You either have a leak or the last person to fill it didn't fill it properly. Leaks usually show up by a patch of oil around them. It's worth spacing the bulkhead pipe away and sticking some tape around it to prevent moisture sitting on it. Other than there, check the blow off valve at the side of the smaller pipe on the compressor, it should be bone dry. Then most likely places are forward of there on the small pipework back round through condenser, drier, sight glass and back to the bulkhead.

Back