Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a replacement 80

Crispin said:
I'm good at dismantling things and have a pair of hands to lend

I am also good at dismantling things. :clap:
Some times I tell myself not to, because it does some times end up in the bin afterwards, :mrgreen:
because some numpty, ie, me can't put it all together again. :shock:

Graham

Well it's a new morning as they say. Nick and I covered the remains with a big sheet so at least I don't have to look at it. Thanks for all the advice chaps. I shall be speaking to Flux today about their policy and if it's clear that I can buy the salvage, then I shall be doing so I figure. If you look at the likely cost of that off set against the fact that I am bound to want a locker, spare wheel, abs sensor, window winder, CV joint etc, it has to be worth keeping those parts - with a locker being £400 straight off. Add to that a set of spare top quality diffs, drive shafts, callipers, discs, handbrake mech, autobox and TC plus transfer box?.... It makes sense. I shall have to pay £250 excess anyway. I will certainly be pulling the injectors,. whatever. I will have them rested of course. They actually look fine, but there are springs and things inside them. If they still work then that's a bonus.
It is a real shame as it was running absolutely beautifully.

Incidentally, several of you have mentioned the added electrics, well they were all declared to the insurer, but in truth, all I did was connect a winch and a pair of cables to the rear battery. I hadn't actually messed with anything else. The rear Cyrix was protected with a fuse so that if it was running and there was a short, it would be protected. When I got home, the rear battery was still powering the fridge and the inverter. The fuse was intact. So there'd been no activity there. As the shrouding melted on the main cable they could have touched together under the bonnet which would have shorted the main battery. But, as the battery had gone along with everything else, it's likely that it went before the cable did. GV was a completely above board truck and I don't think that even an air crash investigator would be able to see what happened here. The black box has melted too!

I shall have to call the next one The Phoenix, eh?

Chris

The question I want answered is....

"Did the kids enjoy the marshmallows?" :twisted:

Sorry, could'nt resist! :whistle:

Tony, I hope your insurance is up-to-date on LB because it may not be parked where you left it :shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would have reservations about the TC and auto box Chris, must have been a lot of heat soak into it from a fire like that so I wonder what state the seals are in :( I'm sure we could find you enough knackered parts to swap onto it so you didn't lose the good bits and have a bring your own part day at yours ;)

Crap only read this now...
sorry to hear mate...

Good luck with the insurance and getting a new motor...

Mine might be up for sale as I might need the money for something else that is more important than my truck.. so give me a shout when you get to buy once...

Cheers Toby.

Well I have done the deed. Everyone at Flux very helpful, so were Equity who apparently have a good record of people being able to keep the vehicle. It is staying on my drive, not being removed and an inspector will be coming out to see it. There is also a claims hander from ULR who has been appointed to handle any concerns that I have over the claims process, appeals and satisfaction. So, the proof of the old pudding as we say.....

If I am not happy then ULR say that I can use market evidence, bills, statements etc to show how much effort has gone into it. I have started a diary on this from the first call. I know how these things go, so I am writing everything down.

Man, it really stinks though. I mean reeks. You need a shower after just walking up the drive past it.

Now SORNd and tax refund posted.

Will post a new thread nearer to purchase time. I know you'll find me a good 'un.

Chris

So Sorry Chris

So much Effort all down the pan. I feel Gutted for you mate.

Everything from the seat of the fire down should be ok, 90% of the heat will have traveled upwards.
Axels and gearbox should be OK. The oil should protect from the heat to a point but seals need to be checked.

The winch bumper may have got softened a little so be careful using it again.

Anything I can do to help out give me a shout.

Mal

I was looking at the pictures again !!!

Looking at the battery retaining strap shows signs of arcing on to the bodywork and across the 2 terminals.

I had this and changed my retaining straps for none a conductive material.

May be the cause ????.

Mal

Well done Chris - I'm sure you'll get the settlement you want/deserve.

I started worrying last night as had left Muxley at the office overnight - I was very releived to pull into the carpark this morning & find him safe & sound.

It might be a bit previous but here's one for you in Voelkler territory:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170609875367&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Or are you after a red one this time with the Pheonix theme in mind.

Thanks Mal. But I really don't think that was the cause. Not sure where you can see arcing, but on the 80 the batteries sit inside a deep GRP box. The terminal near the body is the earth too. The +ve is no where near any metal at all. And the terminals have rubber caps on them. The strap runs across the front of the batteries and can't really reach the terminals either.

Winch bumper has survived. If the powder coating hasn't burned off the mounts (which it hasn't) I'd figure it to be safe. Like the springs, they're still yellow coated.

I think that the diff will be fine. When you look underneath there are things like brake hoses, diff actuator wires etc that are untouched. The heat did indeed go upwards. The AT might be jiggered as Jon pointed out, but it looks untouched. Heat could have travelled along the engine into the TC etc, I agree. But it's worth salvaging to see. I have to be realistic about the replacement and what bits I might need. Let's say that the transfer is fine and I find a truck for £1500 'cos the T box is stuffed, then I'd be laughing wouldn't I.

If I can get one with a decent body again, then I can just about do a chassis swap if I need to.

Chris

Cheers Gav. Bit tatty though. I shall put a up a 'please help me' thread in a bit, but in advance of that it's worth saying that it has to be a later model with the bigger brakes. Could be man but I like the auto. 24v is better on fuel I guess. I don't think I will go LPG as the tank means having a wheel carrier which I don't want. An M plate onwards would be good so I can have M16 back from LB and Tony who has very kindly been looking after it for me. Don't think I will go white again, red, blue green but not silver or that beige colour. Has to have locker diffs. So an import is out unless swapping axles and electrics for the lockers is sensible. I don't like bodging. Body has to be pretty good. Remember I am not building a bog gobbler, but a vehicle that the Missus is happy to be seen in. Be great if I could raise more money and get an N plate or something later.

But please don't post loads of adds on here just now folks. I don't have a penny to spend and the timing simply isn't right. I have Autotrader and ebay alerts for new vehicles so I can start to monitor what's going on. If a good one came up,. I'd get a short loan from my bank and just grab it. Obviously having had one of these for a year, I feel a lot better about what I'm buying now.

Chris

was the RTT ok?

i see the club sticker survived unscathed....

Chris said:
Cheers Gav. Bit tatty though.
TBH, I hadn't even looked at it - didn't even spot it was a manual :oops: Will try harder when you get to that stage :thumbup:

I had a short on my winch wiring a couple months ago -
I have a HD cut-off switch on the wiring, so it was normally isolated. one day i used the winch, and there was smoke when i engaged the cut-off with the key, and the short went down through the bolts that mounted the solenoid to the chassis and melted the 8mm bolts into blobs of molten steel.

the problem was I had fitted a ring terminal - big 50mm2 - one the wrong way round onto to the solenoid post/bolt, as the terminal spade steps in one direction - over time a metal part of the solenoid wore through the casing and tape on the calble.
I had the terminal ring-spade "stepping" down, it is now "stepping" up so is well clear of the offending short-point.

you have now got me thinking of fitting a cut-off on the wiring between my auxillary battery to the inverter in boot - although i would have thought a 100 mega fuse would break if there was a short.

Pretty sure that this was low amperage smoulder type thing. All of the casing is melted off the thick cables, sure, but the actual strands are all intact. no evidence of any kind of damage there at all. The batteries have melted and sunk, rather than exploded. A neighbour says that they thought they heard the alarm going off. Maybe it was that.

C

Funny you should mention the alarm going off, cause as I was on the school run this morning I was considering what may have caused the fire & the thought went through my mind that it may have been malicious :!: P3n15 envey type of thing :think: or maybe a bodged theft attempt :!:

Back