Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a replacement 80

How is the roof tent? melted or survived. That is some pretty insane carnage. I would go down the insurance route and stress what effort went into it. Plus if you do keep it and need to store it to strip you can leave it here.

Jonnie

so sorry to see and hear whats happened.

totally gutted for you mate. :(

Chris, that's soul-destroying - my sincere condolences... words fail me!
I guess you have to take small comfort from the fact that no-one got hurt or worse and a new project will find you.

Sadly I find myself agreeing with your granny.... she clearly knew her cruisers.

Did the fire spread to the whole interior or is the damage in the front from the engine-bay fire and melting dash?

It looks like the roof-rack is intact and I guess the rear axle and fuel tank are ok. Presume the ali diff-lock actuator on the front axle is gone, so the front axle might not be in great shape...
Dunno how the pay-out will be affected if you start trying to reclaim parts - might be best to keep the removables (RR, sliders, winchbar etc) and let them take the carcass away in return for some £££ (hopefully LOTS!).

What a f**king waste!

All the best! I'm sure we can all club together to sponsor you a tipple or 17 at Lincomb!

Cheers,

All i can say cris is fuck!!

I dont usually swear on the forum,but that needs it.

Sorry mate, its a little worse than i first thought.

Get insurance sorted. Be careful though as the electrics that have been added may give them a get out. You know what they are like.

sorry again,im gutted for you mate

karl

:shock: :shock: :shock: I don't know what to say m8 :? I'm speachless :| What a mess :!: :sick: :sick:

Gutted for you :(

Time for a big big drink me thinks :|

That does not look good, I think we can safely say it will not live to see the Lincomb mud. At least some bits can be save especially the custom made ones, im sure you can restore the winch bumper to its former glory with a little work.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks again lads.

Well the fire spread into the headlining so the sunroof etc has all gone. The smoke and water damage is extensive and frankly other than things like window motors, there isn't much you'd want to even consider saving. Most of my kit is pretty sorry, covered in gunge. CBs gone, radio's gone, dash etc. Side glass was smashed by Fire Brigade to get in. There are loads of bits that I would salvage to spare me having to buy them for the new truck. We all know what needs replacing on any truck don't we.

The front axle seems ok as does the actuator it seems. That'd good new. Underneath actually looks all right. Winch bumper will need blasting and re powder coating but the winch and rope are shot. Wheels seem OK, as far as I can see.

It all depends on what I can buy. If I can get a really good one that has been restored like mine was then I don' t need the bits do I. But it's a big calculation. Is it worth buying the salvage to save what it would be to buy the bits again?

Very kind offers of help chaps. Really touched.

Chris

Seeing that Chris, I would be tempted to remove those pictures (and this advice ;) ) take the sliders and bumper off stick them in the garage and say would you believe it they were off for powder coating (assessor may not event notice the bumper is missing and just assume it has melted away ;) ). The tent and rack if intact are not fixed items so there's no reason you shouldn't store those as well. Maybe swap the springs for some standards ones, lots of those about, you get the idea anyway. Then take the pay out using those high priced sellers we know of to argue for a decent payout and while they're dragging their feet remind them there is a storage charge, let them take the remains, IMO it's not worth the pain of rebuilding from that state if you don't have to.

EDIT: p.s. I have a spare front diff with knackered R&P you're welcome to swap in till you're sorted with another truck if you want to go that far.

For what you will be able to buy the truck back for mate yes, still think you have to buy it back.

Keep us posted mate :thumbup:

Gosh - what an awfull thing to happen to you and GW of course.
after all that hard work.

I am truly shocked...

keep your chin up Chris, hope you find a nice replacement.
Andy

So sorry for ya bud, can't find the words to say anymore, gutted,

To add to Jon's idea (before this thread goes into hiding), maybe whip off the rear wheels and if Karl or someone nearby has some worn old tyres and rims to stick on before it goes to the great mud-pit in the sky...

Jon Wildsmith said:
EDIT: p.s. I have a spare front diff with knackered R&P you're welcome to swap in till you're sorted with another truck if you want to go that far.

yes, you should remove your personal effects and by personal effects that means diffs, or at least actuators (diff ecu, locker switch and long rear shaft). Will let you look at imports if you come to replace it. I'm not sure how much these things command on the second hand market, but it could be a bit. I dare say i'll find out when i come to try and add them in the future.

Lads, i know what everyone is saying regarding the truck going to truck heaven,but there is alot of moneys worth sat there in bits. If not to sell on there are alot of parts to save for your next truck. My guess is you will be able to buy it back for around 600quid.

I know someone mentioned fire damage cars are harder to buy back. I would still buy it. You know yourself chris how much parts cost new or second hand

If you do need any parts swapping give me a shout.

karl

:(

If you do go down the insurance route - you can sometimes include the cost of recent work in the calculation... in which case your spreadsheet & recent receipts may be of use...

Any idea what started the fire?

Bad luck meets good luck. The mystery fire didn't manifest itself when you were driving it, or stuck in gridlock traffic, or on the Eurotunnel, or out playing in the woods. It didn't go up parked in a friend's garage, or with all your xmas shopping in the back, or whilst you were sleeping on the roof. Salvage what you can and consider it a bullet dodged.

Plus we all know the next one will be totally kick ass if any of us lot have anything to do with it!

Bloody hell. I've only just seen this thread. How the hell did I miss this one??? Bad news Chris. Hope you find a replacment and you come out of this smelling of roses

Blimey Chris... :shock:

I shall try to construct a sentence tomorrow... :(

Chris, just been reading through this over at Chateaux Gav. Really sorry to hear about this mate, absolutely gutted for you. This was a truck I really liked too, one of my favourites in the club. Try not to let it get you down too much, at least the next one will be a blank canvas for you and anything you thought you might do differently a second time round you now can ;)

I reckon you try for a HZJ7* :cool:

Jim.

Back