Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Modified cars banned?

They've been trying to bring this in for bikes for a few years now. No 'meddling' or fitting of after market parts or alteration from OE spec. It's a joke and a frightening one at that.

Regulation for the sake of it. Seems like the musings on another thread that Spanish style MOTs were likely to come over here has some more likelihood than previously thought.

The sooner we are out the better. I presume this applies to all EU countries? Or perhaps just to those who think it applies to them?
Yet another reason to get out.

sweet jesus do you guys never read anything?

First off check the Date...............September 2012

Then check back through my posts from only a few weeks ago and you'll find the truth behind this bullshit reported by lazy jounalists

Phase one of the big picture when everyone drives the peoples car designed and built in Germany in LHD only .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes a blog denying it , i can't be bothered to search for the actual regulations that are already in place stating manufacturers must provide exact measurements and photographs of every component of their vehicles . It just hasn't been implemented at a local level - YET!

You could post up the link Mark it was right next door to the one you have offered .

because its not been made up by a tabloid journalist or maybe because 4 years after the EU changes to MOT's modified vehicles haven't been banned?

Yes a blog denying it , i can't be bothered to search for the actual regulations that are already in place stating manufacturers must provide exact measurements and photographs of every component of their vehicles . It just hasn't been implemented at a local level - YET!

You could post up the link Mark it was right next door to the one you have offered .

So how did I mot a highly modified vehicle last week Shayne? because its bullshit misinterpretation by a scare mongering tabloid paper

Go on post some facts then?

"because it hasn't been implemented at a local level yet"

What page of the EU in or out thread did you find your blog link ? i posted a link the on the same page which leads to a general overview designed not to alarm but contains various links to pages and pages of alarming reading .

There's a handy tool on the forum called a search function.

To save you the trouble it was already pointed out that you mis understood the link you posted anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will come in the end. It does seem illogical that unqualified people can modify highly complicated machines and then drive them on public roads.

Isn't that why we have inspections?

I don't mean MOT tests, but if you built a car from scratch, wouldn't you need an engineering construction test certificate before you could register it?

I dread being hauled to the engineer with my 80 here, although there's no reason why he wouldn't pass it. It's just all the paperwork and fees. The rules here are the same as Dave described in Spain, but so far a drink for the 'MOT' guy has done the trick. :shifty:

Clive in the UK you would need a SVA check and report to use it on the road.

This will come in the end. It does seem illogical that unqualified people can modify highly complicated machines and then drive them on public roads.

Yes I agree Frank. There was a case a while back where someone had badly modified a Land Rover which caused it to veer into a river and I think the modifier and has children drowned I definitely remember the incident but not all the details, maybe another member can.

Clive in the UK you would need a SVA check and report to use it on the road.

Thanks Mark! Must confess, had to look up SVA, single vehicle approval I presume.

My next question would be when does a modification need an SVA check (if ever?).

Mods can be minor like we do with suspension lifts, but what about a stretched limo or the suicide doors on the Bentley? Surely they would need to be tested by someone and someone would have to decide where the line gets drawn...

Last edited:
sweet jesus do you guys never read anything?

First off check the Date...............September 2012

Then check back through my posts from only a few weeks ago and you'll find the truth behind this bullshit reported by lazy jounalists

There's nothing 'Bullshit' about the motorcycle proposals pal. MAG (and other riders groups) have been fighting them for years and still are. They had some success in 2012 in getting all motorcycles excluded from article 18 of the proposals but does that mean it's gone and forgotten? I seriously doubt it.

Thanks Mark! Must confess, had to look up SVA, single vehicle approval I presume.

My next question would be when does a modification need an SVA check (if ever?).

Mods can be minor like we do with suspension lifts, but what about a stretched limo or the suicide doors on the Bentley? Surely they would need to be tested by someone and someone would have to decide where the line gets drawn...

I don't know Clive, but there must be a threshold.

I do recall being asked by an insurer to list all the modifications on my track car and state the qualifications that the installer held. I did the work myself and wrote to them listing my qualifications from GCSE, to 2 university course and then subsequent professional qualifications. That seemed to do the trick, despite no of them being in car mechanics

There's nothing 'Bullshit' about the motorcycle proposals pal. MAG (and other riders groups) have been fighting them for years and still are. They had some success in 2012 in getting all motorcycles excluded from article 18 of the proposals but does that mean it's gone and forgotten? I seriously doubt it.

The EU directive has been passed and it does not ban vehicle modifications, so yes I say its bullshit. Interestingly MAG's own campaign on this issue hasn't been updated since December 2012 according to their website. On that update they report that the EU had dropped the proposals they were campaigning against.

Back