Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Modified cars banned?

All very interesting! :icon-biggrin:

How come you went to amber side lights Dave? :think:

I've always thought it makes the American 80's look a bit dated compared to the clear ones the rest of the world got. :shifty:

They are not completely amber Ben, from the front they look like the normal sidelight however, from the sides they have amber lenses. It was something I saw on an American 80 and thought they looked a little different, I plan to fit the red side markers at a later date. I doubt I would have got away with the Canadian versions, I think they get totally amber lenses for sidelights? Years back, I fitted the Cibie headlights in my XJ 12 C Jaguar, then used the later Jaguar saloon lenses for the amber running lights, all bolted in with no mods or hole cutting.

The pictures do not show them clearly but the amber lenses are tucked under the bumpers, and are just subtle differences that I like to do on a whim, nothing more really. The last pic is obviously the 80 lense I fitted.

Daves Coupe Front.JPGDaves Coupe NSF.JPGA1 lens.jpg

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oooh, do like that chrome bumper Jag, such a classic :romance-heartbeati::romance-heartbeati::romance-heartbeati:

Thanks Clive, that was my baby for many years, it is a genuine pillar less Coupe. I rescued it from a field in South Mimms just off the M25, once I had finished doing the work (2 years+) I used to use it for work, and at the weekends 1/4 mile it, apart from the wheels it looked totally stock, but underneath, it was a whole different story!

regards

Dave

Everything about that Jag is wrong , red is for lipstick on a tart and chrome belongs on harley style choppers

And yet i like it :lol: and the hidden lunacy beneath the bonnet would make it very special indeed :thumbup:

Everything about that Jag is wrong , red is for lipstick on a tart and chrome belongs on harley style choppers

And yet i like it :lol: and the hidden lunacy beneath the bonnet would make it very special indeed :thumbup:

Thanks Shayne, the colour was a mix of Porsche and Jaguar, and everything you see outside including the bumpers was as it left the factory, minor exceptions, the bonnet 'mini' Jag and of course the aforementioned light mods. And I gather you like a little bit of speed so for your perusal.

Eng 2.JPGInt 1.JPG

And for those in the know, yes it is indeed a bored and stroked 6.0 V12 HE engine which never ever saw the light of day in an XJ C Coupe, oh and the other little surprise, they never made a V12 manual coupe either, that is a 5 speed Getrag box in there, the original chrome ashtray hides the 'roll control' :eusa-shhh:

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Extremely cool :icon-cool:

I think it was a James Bond film when i was a kid had an old river boat complete with straw roof in it but beneath the exterior was something like a million horsepower v12 . It left an impression :lol:

I had a 1974 MK1 XJ12 4 door saloon back in 1980. It was a completely standard 5.3 lump with 4 Stromberg carbs (which strangled it) and auto box. Still a super smooth whisper quiet high speed machine though but economy was horrendous. It was the second car I ever owned, the first being a 1975 Mk2 Ford Capri 3L GT, the first hatchback version. I wanted a Mk1 3L GXL but even then they were getting quite hard to find. Saw a Jag V12 convertible at a local motor show back in the late 70's. It was a conversion from the XJ12C but the owner was saying that if it was parked on uneven ground the doors wouldn't shut correctly!

Who remembers Steeds Jag from the New Avengers?

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motori...avengers-jaguar-up-for-auction-11364000660354

Last edited:
Extremely cool :icon-cool:

I think it was a James Bond film when i was a kid had an old river boat complete with straw roof in it but beneath the exterior was something like a million horsepower v12 . It left an impression :lol:

This engine was the third I had put in it, the V12 is an awesome power unit but, the parts (tuning or otherwise) were sooooo expensive, when teaching I was earning the money, but alas those days are long gone now.

regards

Dave

When we were kids my best mate had a Mini , his dad owned a scrap yard so he acquired all sorts . I wasn't much into cars but i remember it had the engine out of one of those square front mini's 1257cc i think rebored to a 1340cc , weber carbs , roll cage , wide wheels and huge spotlights . It was faster than a Lancia Delta 1500 but by christ it would bounce all over the place .

We got caught driving it to school and the copper said follow me to the police station . We thought our lives were over until in the copshop we heard the sarge scream while talking to the copper in the next room "YOU TOLD THEM TO DO WHAT!"

we were sent on our way with a stern warning :laughing-rolling:

This engine was the third I had put in it, the V12 is an awesome power unit but, the parts (tuning or otherwise) were sooooo expensive, when teaching I was earning the money, but alas those days are long gone now.

regards

Dave

The V12 in XJS guise was raced very successfully in the early late 70's-early 80's by both the Jaguar group44 team and by Tom Walkinshaw of TWR racing. Walkinshaw won the European Touring Car championship in '84 and also the Spa 24Hrs, proving more than match for the BMW's and Hot Alfa's of the day. I think the engine was originally developed as a quad cam unit in the 'XJ13' race car project but William Lyons, then still the top man at Jaguar, wanted the engine to fit in the XJ saloon without any body mods, which it wouldn't, so the 2 cam design was adopted.
Just prior to buying the XJ12 I had the chance to buy a really nice S3 V12 E type Coupe for £5K. I worked out that, with the help of a a bank loan, I could just about have afforded it but decided against it as I really wanted a drop head which was ridiculous because, even then, they were well out of my price range. The S3 FHC is probably the least desirable of all the E Types but would still be worth £30k+.

They are not completely amber Ben, from the front they look like the normal sidelight however, from the sides they have amber lenses. It was something I saw on an American 80 and thought they looked a little different, I plan to fit the red side markers at a later date. I doubt I would have got away with the Canadian versions, I think they get totally amber lenses for sidelights? Years back, I fitted the Cibie headlights in my XJ 12 C Jaguar, then used the later Jaguar saloon lenses for the amber running lights, all bolted in with no mods or hole cutting.

The pictures do not show them clearly but the amber lenses are tucked under the bumpers, and are just subtle differences that I like to do on a whim, nothing more really. The last pic is obviously the 80 lense I fitted.

View attachment 25631View attachment 25632View attachment 25633

regards

Dave

Yes it must be the Canadian ones I'm thinking of that are completely amber. :icon-smile:

Jag looks cool! :drool:

I dont know what its like in Spain or Romania but I've found in the UK and Australia its very very easy to get an MOT certificate or Road Worthy certificate if you know the right people and are prepared to pay a little bit extra! :whistle:

There are MOT testers in the UK who dont even need to see the car. An envelope with £100 in and written on the envelope the vehicle registration and the mileage you want on the certificate and 2 days later you have a nice new certificate and a quick check online reveals its all legit and on the data base. :shifty:

The fact non of my cars ever have to get inspected is one of the things I love about Australia and one of the reasons I would never live in the state of New South Wales as they have yearly tests just like the UK. :dance:

Its not that my cars wouldn't pass, its just that it saves so much hassle, stress & money! :icon-cool:

Its surprising though as in theory you might think the roads would be full of death traps, but I really dont see that many shit box cars on the road. I guess maybe because the police can and do put defect notices on dodgy cars and get them off the roads. :think:

Here the test is every 2 years and strict.

However, if you have nonstandard accessories, 50 quid will go a long way ....

For private cars here, no test for the first 4 years, then every two for the next 6, every year after that. Commercials I am not sure if it is third or fourth year they get their first inspection, after that it is every 6 months! No real chance of a bung, unless of course an inspector is your friend, even then there is no guarantee he will actually be the person to test your car. The inspection certificate also has a photograph of the rear of you vehicle to prove it was actually there!

regards

Dave

Back