Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morning you lot!

Welcome, and good luck with the hunt James.

Ultimately. The 80 series will probable out live the 100 series...

Yes indeed - wife wants an auto but thank you for the link!

Saw a 100 today, same one I linked above, drives really well, no play in the steering, engine sounded fine and it did not smoke one bit. Everything electric works as it should.
Underside, well I'm not sure - will upload a few pictures in a bit, the whole underneath has been coated so hard to tell - would need a experts eye.
Had the chance to take it on a very loose track, no squeaks or other sounds while hitting some very deep ruts and pot holes and the low range seems fine.
One thing I did notice but it will possibly my naivety (need to consult the handbook here) the ride height system seemed to work but could not see any ride height change though in sports it did feel harder/stiffer, all the ride height lights on the dash work, looking underneath - the bottom of the rear shocks are rusting out.
Its up at £7750, I asked him if he would consider £6000, £6600 was his price.
Just got home so will upload some pics as soon as I have sorted out dinner for the family.

It takes a couple of seconds but you should be able to hear the ride height system working away quietly and then feel the vehicle lifting about 5 centimetres. You will definitely notice the difference.

Thanks Jacob, I must have been inpatient - would the light still work if it had an issue?
I remember the lights for the ride height lighting up - but were yellowish - trying to find the manual entry for this system.

Ok, Dinner's in the oven - gives me 30mins of peace and quiet - here are some pics of the underside - first time I have had to wcheck out a chassis that's seems to have been dinitrol'ed, bloody stuff hides everything!
IMG_0679.jpg
IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0683.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg
IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg
IMG_0690.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg
IMG_0695.jpg
IMG_0697.jpg
IMG_0699.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg
IMG_0691 - Copy.jpg
IMG_0680 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0684 - Copy.jpg
IMG_0688 - Copy.jpg
IMG_0689 - Copy.jpg
IMG_0690 - Copy.jpg

I know you lot know what your looking at, I know what bits are but am not in a position to say "yeah, that looks normal etc" Would love to hear what you all think, the spattering of oil around the sump and the bash plate are concerning to me.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Jacob, I must have been inpatient - would the light still work if it had an issue?
I remember the lights for the ride height lighting up - but were yellowish - trying to find the manual entry for this system.

The yellow dot on the dash should flash while the system is working and then settle on a solid H or L once in place.

The oil down the side of the engine is usually spilt from the filter when changing.
TBF it looks like standard fare for a 17-18 year old 100 series. The place to check is round the rear body mounts and around the rear bumper attachment area.

Thanks @AndycruiserguyLomas, I did check the rear mounts and rear bumper area - all looked sound.
Do you think 6K would be a fair price, the interior and mileage are good, took the wife for a ride in it and she felt all special high up :) - its going to be a steep learning curve for her as shes used to small cars though she used to drive a Hilux around in Brasil many years ago so think she will be ok.
Will look around today for some others, this is a contender but will keep looking for a 80.
Is there anyone in my general area that you know of that might be interested in taking a look at this, happy to pay for fuel and a good few drinks.
One thing that I did notice was the breaks, forgot how big trucks decelerate with all the weight, it will slow me down as I'm a bit to quick according to my wife in her car, I just want a nice relaxed ride.

The brakes on my 2004 would stop you dead. The car would almost stand on it's nose with little pedal pressure. Very powerful so if you have to press the brake pedal hard there is something wrong. Now I'm assuming the system on both cars is the same. The 2004 brakes use an electric pressure pump and these can go wrong.

As Frank says, there’s a recent thread by spindrift called catastrophic brake failure. He opted for new at £2000 (ouch!!) but there is a refurb motor option. It may be a bargaining chip.

Last edited:
Thanks, It might just be me, Its just been through its MOT so would have thought this would have failed it.

Yes I'm jumping to conclusions really James but still think you should have been impressed by the brakes rather than frightened!

One of the reasons I sold my 100 was the electrical complexity which I'm no good at and didn't want to fund. I kept my old 80 which I can easily cope with.

I think braking effectiveness is something you have to get used to, then decide if it should be better.

I know nothing about AHV.

The shock-rot looks peripheral to me, it’s mainly on the pin sheathes so won’t affect their operation...

I’ve seen similar photos of the bellies of 100’s that make this look mint.

Please don’t take any of this as a recommendation to ‘buy it now’ but I paid £5k for an HZJ80 so £6k for a 100 would seem to be within reason ...

Thanks Frank, I think I'm just not used to it - did not frighten me as such and I could of stepped on the peddle harder - might pop back over in the week.

Thanks Clive, Mint you say - the others must have been rotters!
I have seen images of shocks like that before but quite surprised they can get to that state quick.
One thing I need to do now is find a localish mechanic that can do bits when needed, I can do some work but would rather have someone who knows these well. Any recommendations for south of England?

Depends where you’re happy to travel to, but @Trevor at Freedom 4x4 is probably worth a chat as someone who knows cruisers.

Back